Wright is Just Part of Chicago Politics For Obama

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://weblogs.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/blog/2008/05/obama_unstained_by_chicago_way.html

Posted May 10, 2008 9:09 AM
The Swamp

by John Kass

Will Barack Obama's presidential candidacy serve his state and city by finally drawing national attention to the sleazy and corrupt politics of Illinois and Chicago?

It is all about context. The presumptive Democratic presidential candidate's politics were born in Chicago. Yet he is presented to the nation as not truly being of this place, as if he floats just above the political corruption here, uninfected, untouched by the stain of it or by any sin of commission or omission. It is all so very mystical.

Perhaps viewing Obama as a Chicago political creature would conflict with the established national media narrative of Obama as a reformer. Actually, there's no "perhaps" about it...

I don't think author did much research. He just focused on an ongoing media narrative. Obama certainly did not present himself as "as not truly being of this place". This statement from January is not isolated:
"I think that Senator Clinton, obviously, is a formidable and tough candidate, and we have to make sure that we take it to them just like they take it to us," the Illinois senator said. "I come from Chicago politics. We're accustomed to rough and tumble."​

I don't think author did much research. He just focused on an ongoing media narrative. Obama certainly did not present himself as "as not truly being of this place". This statement from January is not isolated:
"I think that Senator Clinton, obviously, is a formidable and tough candidate, and we have to make sure that we take it to them just like they take it to us," the Illinois senator said. "I come from Chicago politics. We're accustomed to rough and tumble."​

Thanks dogger, who said Obama was above divisive politics?

"I think that Senator Clinton, obviously, is a formidable and tough candidate, and we have to make sure that we take it to them just like they take it to us,

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8U2H6600&show_article=1

Thanks dogger, who said Obama was above divisive politics?

Tough politics isn't the same thing. Divisive politics (or as I call it, Rovarian Politics) involves pitting one group against another. If you get voters angry enough, they will overlook the fact that your candidate is a mean-sprited moron (Bush) or flip-flops more than a fish on hot sand (McCain).

I know most people say "Rovian", but "Rovarian" makes me think of cancer and cysts. :cool:

Tough politics isn't the same thing. Divisive politics (or as I call it, Rovarian Politics) involves pitting one group against another. If you get voters angry enough, they will overlook the fact that your candidate is a mean-sprited moron (Bush) or flip-flops more than a fish on hot sand (McCain).

I know most people say "Rovian", but "Rovarian" makes me think of cancer and cysts. :cool:

Tough politics, you mean something he vowed to stay above.

"At the start of the campaign, Mrs. Clinton’s advisers had believed that Mr. Obama’s promise of a different kind of politics — free of the sharp elbows and attacks of the past generation — would handcuff him from running an effective campaign.

They had it wrong, but Mccain will be ready.

LOL, you're delusional. if someone is going to stay above something, they do not get on the same level as what they claim they are above moron.

I think that Senator Clinton, obviously, is a formidable and tough candidate, and we have to make sure that we take it to them just like they take it to us," the Illinois senator said. "I come from Chicago politics. We're accustomed to rough and tumble."

what you are saying is: 1. obama still can remain above it all; 2. despite that he is giving clinton the SAME as she gives him.

are that you simple?

LMAO. Get real. Moron would describe everything the Dems have offered since Clinton. You can't even get it right this time. Hillary is no prize, but FAR AND AWAY more qualified to be President than Obama.

LMAO. Get real. Moron would describe everything the Dems have offered since Clinton. You can't even get it right this time. Hillary is no prize, but FAR AND AWAY more qualified to be President than Obama.

No... moron describes the subliterate who's occupied the white house for the last 7+ years. You can disagree with Obama, but he's not a moron by a long shot. At least he knows what the Constitution says.

(can anyone say "signing statements"... sure, I knew ya could).

You mean like when he explained to the blood bloods in California why small town America won't vote for him?

No... moron describes the subliterate who's occupied the white house for the last 7+ years. You can disagree with Obama, but he's not a moron by a long shot. At least he knows what the Constitution says.

(can anyone say "signing statements"... sure, I knew ya could).

So it is your position that a person that Graduated with good grades ( better than Kerry's) from a good college or University CAN in fact be as dumb as you are? Thanks for proving my point.

To categorize Dems as offering only morons and ignore Bush is rather, moronic?

Kerry IS a MORON. Gore has proven over the last 7 years he is one as well.

2004 was a cake walk for the Dems, well until the picked the one of the guys that was worse then Bush. Once again nimrod, Bush did not win in 2004, YOU morons LOST and to this person you keep claiming is ignorant as well, not once BUT Twice.

You and Jillian may want to stop making your team look so stupid. Just a thought.

To categorize Dems as offering only morons and ignore Bush is rather, moronic?

No, it just goes to show what piss-poor candidates the Democrat party have been offering. That we had to resort to voting for that liberal globalist in conservative clothing ought to be a clue for you, but what do we get?

Y'all go jerk some leftwing extremist that makes Hillary look like a card-carrying Republican out of the weeds and try to sell him.

So when you go accusing me the next 4 years as you and your ilk have the past 7, take a good LONG look in the mirror first. I won't be voting FOR McCain. I'll be voting AGAINST Obama, just as I voted against Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee last two elections.

No, it just goes to show what piss-poor candidates the Democrat party have been offering. That we had to resort to voting for that liberal globalist in conservative clothing ought to be a clue for you, but what do we get?

Y'all go jerk some leftwing extremist that makes Hillary look like a card-carrying Republican out of the weeds and try to sell him.

So when you go accusing me the next 4 years as you and your ilk have the past 7, take a good LONG look in the mirror first. I won't be voting FOR McCain. I'll be voting AGAINST Obama, just as I voted against Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee last two elections.

I'm not usually one to vote AGAINST a person. But it looks like that will be my agenda this November. As much as Obama tries to pretend to care about the same things Hillary and other Democrats care about, I don't trust him, and I don't want him in office. It could be the biggest mistake this country ever makes to elect McCain, or it could be the biggest mistake this country ever makes to elect Obama. I'll take my chances with McCain. At least there's a chance he'll die in office and will have chosen a decent VP.

The sad thing is, Hillary is the ONLY candidate left whom we actually know well enough to know where she stands. She doesn't flip flop (don't give me any Iraq bullshit, she voted based on the information given to her, just like everyone else); she's stubborn as a mule. Like her or not, we know what to expect from a Hillary Presidency. I'm scared to see what we'll get from McCain or Obama.

Here's to four years of uncertainty. God bless us all.

I'm not usually one to vote AGAINST a person. But it looks like that will be my agenda this November. As much as Obama tries to pretend to care about the same things Hillary and other Democrats care about, I don't trust him, and I don't want him in office. It could be the biggest mistake this country ever makes to elect McCain, or it could be the biggest mistake this country ever makes to elect Obama. I'll take my chances with McCain. At least there's a chance he'll die in office and will have chosen a decent VP.

The sad thing is, Hillary is the ONLY candidate left whom we actually know well enough to know where she stands. She doesn't flip flop (don't give me any Iraq bullshit, she voted based on the information given to her, just like everyone else); she's stubborn as a mule. Like her or not, we know what to expect from a Hillary Presidency. I'm scared to see what we'll get from McCain or Obama.

Here's to four years of uncertainty. God bless us all.

why do you hate obama so much? really, what reasons are there that make him so much worse than hillary? and why do you ignore all the negatives that hillary has? not trying to start an argument, just trying to understand your position

why do you hate obama so much? really, what reasons are there that make him so much worse than hillary? and why do you ignore all the negatives that hillary has? not trying to start an argument, just trying to understand your position

I believe it was all explained pretty well in my last post. I don't trust Obama, because I don't know Obama. All that I know about Obama's past is:

1. He has close ties to Reverend Jeremiah Wright.
2. He had ties to Farrakahn.
3. He is part of the Chicago style of politics.

None of those boast well for him in my book. Whatever stance he has now seems forced just to garner support. I think he will be the king of say one thing, do another. All politicians make false promises, but I think he's made more promises than any one person can ever make good on. I seriously doubt he even plans to make good on any of them.

I also see him as very unpatriotic. He doesn't seem to respect American traditions, and that's disgusting.

I also see him as a snobby, superficial prick. He and his wife have their heads shoved so far up their own asses it MUST be hard for them to see the light of day. It's fairly obvious they think their shit doesn't stink.

I believe it was all explained pretty well in my last post. I don't trust Obama, because I don't know Obama. All that I know about Obama's past is:

1. He has close ties to Reverend Jeremiah Wright.
2. He had ties to Farrakahn.
3. He is part of the Chicago style of politics.

None of those boast well for him in my book. Whatever stance he has now seems forced just to garner support. I think he will be the king of say one thing, do another. All politicians make false promises, but I think he's made more promises than any one person can ever make good on. I seriously doubt he even plans to make good on any of them.

I also see him as very unpatriotic. He doesn't seem to respect American traditions, and that's disgusting.

I also see him as a snobby, superficial prick. He and his wife have their heads shoved so far up their own asses it MUST be hard for them to see the light of day. It's fairly obvious they think their shit doesn't stink.

wow, doesnt take much for you to get a terrible opinion of someone. ok, so you know clinton more than obama, and surely you know all of the questionable things she's been part of. why do you let these slide? you think obama might not fullfill his promises, and yet you know that the clintons dont fullfill theirs. how is that better?

wow, doesnt take much for you to get a terrible opinion of someone. ok, so you know clinton more than obama, and surely you know all of the questionable things she's been part of. why do you let these slide? you think obama might not fullfill his promises, and yet you know that the clintons dont fullfill theirs. how is that better?

Curious. What does it take for you to question your choice? Mass murder, something less?

Curious. What does it take for you to question your choice? Mass murder, something less?

bringing up mass murder implies that obama has done something only a little worse. dont throw out shock words to try and make me look uncredible.

it takes me more than it takes jsanders to question my choice. he hates obama because of his pastor, an unverified claim, and the city he lives in. i look at the history of people and what they have accomplished. i research to distinguish fact from fiction. i dont go off a vague "i dont trust them" feeling. obama wasnt even my prefered candidate, but what i know about hillary will cause me not to vote for her. and i dont understand how so many people have so quickly forgotten her past.

Forum List

Back