Would you...

It seems too genteel on here today. I am going to kick it up a notch by asking the following question. Would you date or marry someone that was your polar opposite on several things including politics?
I think harmony trumps conflict in the marital relationship. It's great to know that your partner knows and understands you as well as they do themselves, and lets you know it by simply accepting you in quiet reassurance. Silence is golden.

My wife of 44 years accepts all my foibles and personal ideosyncracies with the calm reassurance of someone who feels exactly the same way on any number of personal "issues" and appreciates the same in return...It makes it easier to be yourself without a lot or self examination, and it's nice to know you're not alone when the company of someone of a like mind is needed .

You're a lucky man then, to have exactly what's right for you. A lot of people never find that.

Is it luck, or is it a matter of listening to one's soul and then taking action, regardless of whether or not you understand it all or not? Something to ruminate over.

I think harmony trumps conflict in the marital relationship. It's great to know that your partner knows and understands you as well as they do themselves, and lets you know it by simply accepting you in quiet reassurance. Silence is golden.

My wife of 44 years accepts all my foibles and personal ideosyncracies with the calm reassurance of someone who feels exactly the same way on any number of personal "issues" and appreciates the same in return...It makes it easier to be yourself without a lot or self examination, and it's nice to know you're not alone when the company of someone of a like mind is needed .

You're a lucky man then, to have exactly what's right for you. A lot of people never find that.

Is it luck, or is it a matter of listening to one's soul and then taking action, regardless of whether or not you understand it all or not? Something to ruminate over.

Now who sounds like a Victorian romantic?
Maybe it's both.

Maybe it's both.
I don't believe in luck. I believe that everything that happens in our lives, happens for a reason. Whether we learn what the reason is and grow from it, is another issue entirely.

Horse is a good listener of his wife's heart and soul. That is the key. A man doesn't gain that wisdom by only following the sound of one's lips.

It seems too genteel on here today. I am going to kick it up a notch by asking the following question. Would you date or marry someone that was your polar opposite on several things including politics?
yes I would! I don't like it when guys agree with me all the time.

yes I would! I don't like it when guys agree with me all the time.

If you are looking for obstinate men, this board is loaded. :lol:

Last edited:

Maybe it's both.
I don't believe in luck. I believe that everything that happens in our lives, happens for a reason. Whether we learn what the reason is and grow from it, is another issue entirely.

Horse is a good listener of his wife's heart and soul. That is the key. A man doesn't gain that wisdom by only following the sound of one's lips.
I had my share of so called "passionate" women, and each time, once they'd moved on, I paused to realize how lucky I was, and how much I'd learned from the experience. Victorian romantic? You bet!

Here are a few lines from our favorite Victorian poem:

Here with a Loaf of Bread beneath the Bough,
A Flask of Wine, a Book of Verse--and Thou
Beside me singing in the Wilderness--
And Wilderness is Paradise enow.

Last edited:
From what I have seen expressed in the thread thus far, differences between two people can be a healthy part of any relationship. It is how we process the differences in our person and that of our significant other, that determines whether the bridge of communication and commitment is strengthen, or a chasm is born from the rift of fear and pride.

From what I have seen expressed in the thread thus far, differences between two people can be a healthy part of any relationship. It is how we process the differences in our person and that of our significant other, that determines whether the bridge of communication and commitment is strengthen, or a chasm is born from the rift of fear and pride.

I think the first part of that's true for a lot of people, but there is no one right answer. The more I look around, the more I am convinced there is no "average" person or "average" life.
The second is crucial no matter what.

I think the first part of that's true for a lot of people, but there is no one right answer. The more I look around, the more I am convinced there is no "average" person or "average" life.
The second is crucial no matter what.
You are correct. There is no single answer when it comes to relationships, regardless of the form they may take. There are only singular questions for us all to explore as we learn and grow inside our soul.

As to "average," I agree. Every person and everything in our life is here to teach us, whether it be for good or for bad. Each and every day is a gift we share with ourselves and each other.

AH is a painter of words amongst other things. Your life is a canvas. You are free to paint your canvas as you will. Each person's canvas is different. But when two kindred souls meet and grow together, the individual canvas' begin to reflect the passionate hues and whimsical brushes of life, that each soul brings to the united canvas.

Some see the paintings and take them for granted as they walk through their day, while others stop and allow the inner song of that canvas to wash over them like a slow lazy tide along the beach.

More food for thought. :)

1.Men that make me laugh
2.Men that read
3.Men that don't wear shit in their hair
4.Men that like sports
5.Men that like to clean :eusa_eh: Those exist?
6.Men that iron See above comment
7.Men that are fit
8.Men that are smart
9.Men that can rock a pair of faded Levis Wranglers work well too :cool:
10.Men that will do the dishes after I cook! You're kidding, right?

Not really 'geeky' but it's what I like! :)

#4. Would have to be exchanged with "love of the outdoors, etc." but otherwise a halfway decent list, EZ.

Now you just gotta find one.

Although, you did use "men" as opposed to "a man", so perhaps you're looking for a few good men. :D

Last edited:
If you've not heard it, find the song "The Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts and listen to it. It was played at my wedding to the light of my life and has since become our dance song. Whenever we hear it we dance. Knowing I still get that feeling in the pit of my stomach when I hear his car/motorcycle pull in the driveway regardless of where he was or how long he was gone let's me know that he is all that I looked for all those years. As I told him in my wedding vows, "For years I looked for a man I could live with, I did not find that in him, I found a man I can NOT live without!"

1.Men that make me laugh
2.Men that read
3.Men that don't wear shit in their hair
4.Men that like sports
5.Men that like to clean :eusa_eh: Those exist?
6.Men that iron See above comment
7.Men that are fit
8.Men that are smart
9.Men that can rock a pair of faded Levis Wranglers work well too :cool:
10.Men that will do the dishes after I cook! You're kidding, right?

Not really 'geeky' but it's what I like! :)

#4. Would have to be exchanged with "love of the outdoors, etc." but otherwise a halfway decent list, EZ.

Now you just gotta find one.

Although, you did use "men" as opposed to "a man", so perhaps you're looking for a few good men. :D

Nothing wrong with a girl who knows what she wants. ;)

If you've not heard it, find the song "The Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts and listen to it. It was played at my wedding to the light of my life and has since become our dance song. Whenever we hear it we dance. Knowing I still get that feeling in the pit of my stomach when I hear his car/motorcycle pull in the driveway regardless of where he was or how long he was gone let's me know that he is all that I looked for all those years. As I told him in my wedding vows, "For years I looked for a man I could live with, I did not find that in him, I found a man I can NOT live without!"

That ladies and gentlemen, is what it is all about. :cool:

The following song is a parody of R & B songs with a sexual theme. I also think that this song points to a deeper truth, that although sex is fun and part of a healthy relationship, the relationship should not be predicated on sex. As the video depicts, such a mindset is shallow, and ultimately unrewarding.

And while politics are important in our life, it shouldn't consume us. There is more to life than politics. Trying to find someone that agrees with you on every issue is impossible, unless you are willing to degrade yourself, and pay for all the yes' you want.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc8tPTVBRSc&feature=]YouTube - "Ooh Girl!" - An Honest R&B Song[/ame]

The following song is a parody of R & B songs with a sexual theme. I also think that this song points to a deeper truth, that although sex is fun and part of a healthy relationship, the relationship should not be predicated on sex. As the video depicts, such a mindset is shallow, and ultimately unrewarding.

And while politics are important in our life, it shouldn't consume us. There is more to life than politics. Trying to find someone that agrees with you on every issue is impossible, unless you are willing to degrade yourself, and pay for all the yes' you want.

YouTube - "Ooh Girl!" - An Honest R&B Song
ROFLMAO

too true and TOO TOO honest

Forum List

Back