Would You Vote for a Mormon?

Would you vote for a Mormon for President?

• Yes

Votes: 49 80.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 19.7%

• Total voters
no i would not vote for a mormon....have yall looked into their belief system?

Sadly, I have.

There's a reason why Utah leads the country in prescriptions for anti-depressents, people!

hey, here's a wonderful crazy belief.

Dark Skin is a Curse from God.

Not only do Mormons believe that black folks were cursed with blackness because of Ham's sin against Noah (Genesis 9), but they also believe that Native Americans were cursed with dark skin for rejecting Jesus.

Yup, according to crazy Mormon doctrine, Hebrews came to America in the 7th century BCE. They founded a huge civilization that apparently left not a single shred of archeological evidence. Then in the first Century, Jesus stopped by and converted half of them, known as the Nephites, to Christianity... Er.. Mormonism. And the other half, known as the Lamanites, decided to completely and utterly slaughter them for it. God cursed them with dark skin and they were the ancestors of the Native Americans.

Yup. This is what Mormons actually beleive.

Now, keeping in mind the only way the GOP stays viable as a party long term or has much of a chance short term is by convincing minorities that they have their interests at heart. Saying that God has cursed them with dark skin isn't going to exactly win them over.

("No, no, Joe. YOu are a big meaniehead for hating Mormons. How dare you judge them on their crazy beliefs?")

If I can't vote for a Mormon because they believe things that are completely ludicrous and easily disproven, then I can't vote for a regular Christian either. :dunno:

Except you can't really "easily" disprove Christian beliefs. Most historians believe Jesus was probably a real person. (I have my doubts, but it's a minority one in the feild.) There really was a place called "Judea" and "Israel". The places described in the bible really existed and some of the people mentioned are confirmed by other sources. YOu can claim that these events are unlikely, but you can't prove they didn't happen.

Mormonism, on the other hand, is a lot easier to disprove. There has been NO archeological evidence uncovered of the Nephite civilization, which lasted as long as Rome did. We know that the Book of Abraham was a Ptomelic Funerary Scroll and the Kinderhook tablets were fakes made by Smith's neighbors.

My point was not whether the beliefs are "Proveable" or not. That is, first and foremost, a matter of faith and conscience.

My problem is the utter repulsiveness of those beliefs, and how they will effect the mindsets of people you are DESPERATELY trying to win over. A Republican will not win without minority votes. It won't happen. And Mr. "Dark Skin is a Curse from God" attacking Perry for giving tuition to Mexicans is not going to win them over.

When romney was Governor, i lived in massachusetts...he really NEVER let his religion or personal religious beliefs get in the way of his governing.... at least i never saw it...so in my opinion, he's already proven himself in that aspect....he doesn't mix, church and state.

Have you looked at the Catholics??? They said the same thing about John Kennedy being a Catholic and look what happened there. :cuckoo:

Mormons and Catholics have the same God the rest of us do. God loves us all the same, no matter what religion we belong to.

OH, this again. I never get tired of seeing it.

actually, Mormons and Catholics believe their Gods only love them. That's kind of the problem with religious stupidity.

(Incidently, brought up Catholic and figured out it was full of shit by the time I was 11 and a nun decided she was going to try to rationalize drowning babies.)

But to the point. First, nominating a Catholic in 1960 wasn't that good of a bet. JFK barely won an election he should have walked away with. Charismatic, War Hero at time when Democratic party affiliation was twice that of Republicans, running against a disliked, unpleasant vice President. Yet JFK only beat Nixon by 120,000 votes, about .2% of the vote total. The Democrats have only nominated a Catholic once since. Oh, yeah, and there was a RECESSION going on in 1960. So JFK should have run over Nixon.

But here's the point. in 1959, 25% said they wouldn't vote for a Catholic and in 1960, it was down to 18%. But at that time, catholics made up 25% of the population. So for every hater who wouldn't vote for JFK (that demographic skewed Republican anyway), there was a Catholic who was willing to say, "Hurrah for our side!"

ON the other hand, 22% of Americans won't vote for a Mormon. But Mormons only make up 2% of the population. There simply aren't enough Mormons to make up the difference if even a quarter jump ship.

Do they murder people over religion like some of islam?

My point still stands, if you replaced mormon with muslim your response would be considered bigoted.

Yeah, actually, they DO murder people over religion.

Please look up "Mountain Meadows Massacre" some time.

I'm not Mormon and I disagree with Maple. They do not believe in the same God as the mainstream Christian God.

But, have you got something a little more recent than a 150 year old incident to support your point?

Immie

Have you looked at the Catholics??? They said the same thing about John Kennedy being a Catholic and look what happened there. :cuckoo:

Mormons and Catholics have the same God the rest of us do. God loves us all the same, no matter what religion we belong to.

OH, this again. I never get tired of seeing it.

actually, Mormons and Catholics believe their Gods only love them. That's kind of the problem with religious stupidity.
Reference?

Mike

Dark Skin is a Curse from God.

Not only do Mormons believe that black folks were cursed with blackness because of Ham's sin against Noah (Genesis 9), but they also believe that Native Americans were cursed with dark skin for rejecting Jesus.

Yup, according to crazy Mormon doctrine, Hebrews came to America in the 7th century BCE. They founded a huge civilization that apparently left not a single shred of archeological evidence. Then in the first Century, Jesus stopped by and converted half of them, known as the Nephites, to Christianity... Er.. Mormonism. And the other half, known as the Lamanites, decided to completely and utterly slaughter them for it. God cursed them with dark skin and they were the ancestors of the Native Americans.

I suggest you actually read the Book of Mormon sometimes. You wouldn't look so ridiculous getting things wrong like you have if you actually know what your talking about.

Sorry, man, I have read it, or at least the naughty bits. Actually, it's "And thus it came to pass" every other sentence, but we won't dwell on that.....

1 Nephi 11:8 And it came to pass that the Spirit said unto me: Look! And I looked and beheld a tree; and it was like unto the tree which my father had seen; and the beauty thereof was far beyond, yea, exceeding of all beauty; and the whiteness thereof did exceed the whiteness of the driven snow.

1 Nephi 11:13 And I beheld the city of Nazareth; and in the city of Nazareth I beheld a virgin, and she was exceedingly fair and white.

1 Nephi 12:23 And it came to pass that I beheld, after they had dwindled in unbelief they became a dark, and loathsome, and a filthy people, full of idleness and all manner of abominations. (Joe Smith calls dark skinned people ugly, filthy, lazy, and perverts.)

1 Nephi 13:15 And I beheld the Spirit of the Lord, that it was upon the Gentiles, and they did prosper and obtain the land for their inheritance; and I beheld that they were white, and exceedingly fair and beautiful, like unto my people before they were slain.

2 Nephi 5:21 For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.

2 Nephi 30:6 And then shall they rejoice; for they shall know that it is a blessing unto them from the hand of God; and their scales of darkness shall begin to fall from their eyes; and many generations shall not pass away among them, save they shall be a pure white (1830 edition) and a delightsome people.

Jacob 3:8 O my brethren, I fear that unless ye shall repent of your sins that their skins will be whiter than yours, when ye shall be brought with them before the throne of God.

Alma 3:6 And the skins of the Lamanites were dark, according to the mark which was set upon their fathers, which was a curse upon them because of their transgression and their rebellion against their brethren, who consisted of Nephi, Jacob, and Joseph, and Sam, who were just and holy men.

3 Nephi 2:15 And their curse was taken from them, and their skin became white like unto the Nephites.

Mormon 5:15 And also that the seed of this people may more fully believe his gospel, which shall go forth unto them from the Gentiles; for this people shall be scattered, and shall become a dark, a filthy, and a loathsome people, beyond the description of that which ever hath been amongst us, yea, even that which hath been among the Lamanites, and this because of their unbelief and idolatry.

Just the kind of guy you need to put up there when you are trying to win over blacks and hispanics....

My point still stands, if you replaced mormon with muslim your response would be considered bigoted.

When was that massacre there, and how does it relate to how Romney governed Massachusetts ?And in what way does it show us how he would govern as President ?

One poll has it that 22% of Americans wouldn't vote for a Mormon. I would be interested to know what percentage of USMB also feels that way.

If 22% of Americans will not vote for a Mormon, then the GOP can forget about winning the Presidency in the next election.

If you don't think so, you are just fooling yourself.

One poll has it that 22% of Americans wouldn't vote for a Mormon. I would be interested to know what percentage of USMB also feels that way.

If 22% of Americans will not vote for a Mormon, then the GOP can forget about winning the Presidency in the next election.

And then YOU would be assuming Romney or Huntsman get the NOD.

Are you a prophet?

When was that massacre there, and how does it relate to how Romney governed Massachusetts ?And in what way does it show us how he would govern as President ?

Wasn't answering those question. It was asked if Mormons kill people over religion. And the answer is, "Yes, they have".

Like I said, guy, the MSM is just Waaaaaiting for you numbnuts to nominate Romney, and then they are going to expose the whole ugly underbelly of Mormonism.

Wasn't answering those question. It was asked if Mormons kill people over religion. And the answer is, "Yes, they have".

Like I said, guy, the MSM is just Waaaaaiting for you numbnuts to nominate Romney, and then they are going to expose the whole ugly underbelly of Mormonism.

But you said they "DO" and you even capitalized it.

It is a little unfair to say that Mormons do kill for religion just as it is to say that all white men living today are responsible for slavery in America.

Immie

Well, they are good at fooling themselves.

Romney's religion is going to drive away three very important Demographics.

1) Evangelicals, and especially Baptists who consider the Mormons to be heretics.

2) Minorities. Sorry, that "Dark Skin is a Curse from God" thing isn't going to play very well. Especially since Romney is flip flopping and demogouging the immigration issue. (Hey, remember in 2005, when Romney called the Bush and McCain immigration reform "Common sense"? I guess he doesn't.)

3) Women- Mormonism is probably one of the most sexist religions out there. A woman only has worth in relation to her man, and her ability to provide babies to get him into the Spirit World. Ain't gonna play with the soccer moms...

It's almost like they want to lose.

It is a little unfair to say that Mormons do kill for religion just as it is to say that all white men living today are responsible for slavery in America.

Immie

The fact they haven't murdered anyone LATELY doesn't impress me as much as it seems to impress you.

But just for you, I'll amend my statement from "yes, they do", to "yes they have". Feel better?

Immie

The fact they haven't murdered anyone LATELY doesn't impress me as much as it seems to impress you.

But just for you, I'll amend my statement from "yes, they do", to "yes they have". Feel better?

Yes, it does. Thank you. ;)

Immie

Immie

Immie

In the end, it wont matter where they go to church, but whose vision is in line with voters. At this time that's not Obama. If Romney is the one who run against the President in 2012 he will get my vote regardless of his religion.

In the end, it wont matter where they go to church, but whose vision is in line with voters. At this time that's not Obama. If Romney is the one who run against the President in 2012 he will get my vote regardless of his religion.

Actually, it's going to play out like this.

45% will vote Republican. 45% will vote Democratic. 10% will vote for the guy they'd want to have a beer with and thinks cares about their problems.

That guy isn't Mitt Romney. Never will be. Man doesn't even drink beer, and has never gotten dirt under his fingernails in his life.

(See, when you make a point, you get a response.)

Immie

The only possible reason that I will vote for a Republican is if the race looks really really close in Florida and nation wide; so close that my single vote could be the deciding factor. If that is the case, I will cast my vote for the Republican. Beyond that, I have no intention of letting the damned Republicans think that they have my approval.

Immie

Forum List

Back