Would You Vote for a Mormon?

Would you vote for a Mormon for President?

• Yes

Votes: 49 80.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 19.7%

• Total voters
Probably not.

Certainly not if I thought that they planned on carrrying out the duties of POTUS using the principles and value systems of the Church of Latter Day Saints.

This is a secular society and I'd like it to stay that way.

Quick! what religion was IKE?

Most of us probably don't know.

That is the kind of POTUS I want.

One who knows that weaing ones religion on one's sleeve isn't what a good head of a secular state does.

I don't want a religiously based POTUS, I want a reality-based POTUS.

Well, it's running about 18% right now. Which is close.

I am going to vote for the Republican UNLESS it's Romney or Huntsman. In which case, I will vote for Obama and promptly puke.

I don't trust the LDS, I don't trust their motives, I don't trust their religion. Looking at their bloody, dishonest history, we should all be worried that this dangerous cult is seeking political power and is willing to pull out any stops to get it.

I would look at the way the LDS acted in the Proposition 8 fight. Don't have a strong opinion on the topic. (My view on gay marriage- Why not? Why should just the straights have to suffer?) But the way they operated should frighten us. Mormons make up on 2% of California's population, but the 70% of the contribution to groups working for "Prop Hate" came from Mormons across the country, washed through secret accounts. Mormon families emptied out their kids college accounts in order to tell people in a state where they didn't live whether they can get married or not.

In short, I don't trust them, and never will.

Now, for the record, I'm not some evangelical wingnut who thinks that they are "heretics". (Although that's a major school of thought, probably most of that 22%). I'm an agnostic, and find most religion to be a little silly. But I guess the notion of a scam started by a con man who wanted to have sex with 14 year old girls offends me a little more than the usual superstition and ignorance.

NOw, there are a lot of good reasons to not vote for Romney that have nothing to do with is religion- his flip-flopping, his fakeness, his inability to connect with people. He's another rich republican who can't tell you how many mansions he owns. A guy who is spending millions to expand one of his four mansions isn't going to relate to the guy who is working for 20% less than he did 4 years ago and has to make a choice between mortgage and food that week.

Even without the weird religion, he'd be a bad pick.

With it, he's an awful one.

One poll has it that 22% of Americans wouldn't vote for a Mormon. I would be interested to know what percentage of USMB also feels that way.

i've voted for a number of people who turned out to be morons.

oh, didn't see the second m, sorry.

i voted for mitt for gov-he's both :cool:

JoeB1313 or whatever... With the weird hammer-avatar thing is the only one I've seen go public with that shit here so far.

That's from Pink Floyd: the Wall, one of my favorite movies. I don't think he realizes how much his views match what those hammers symbolize.

I've seen The Wall... Granted was tripping my face off, but don't remember the hammer things? What do they symbolize? Commie?

Love "The Wall", it's my favorite album, hence the avatar.

The last section of the movie, there's a comparison of rock and roll and fascism, which is what I think Roger Waters was going for. Side four begins with a section with a "Rock and Roll" Nuremburg where "Pink" (stand in for Waters) was acting like a dictator.

But frankly, the only people I see who are like the "Hammers" are Obama's followers, who are kind of like any followers of a dictator. They blindly follow him even when things have fallen completely apart. Heck, his followers are already talking about suspending elections, aren't they?

My objection to Romney is that he has his own koolaid drinkers.

If it comes down to Obama vs. Romney, that would be a tough one. I think Obama would win because Romney is just such an awful candidate.

Probably not.

Certainly not if I thought that they planned on carrrying out the duties of POTUS using the principles and value systems of the Church of Latter Day Saints.

This is a secular society and I'd like it to stay that way.

Quick! what religion was IKE?

Most of us probably don't know.

That is the kind of POTUS I want.

One who knows that weaing ones religion on one's sleeve isn't what a good head of a secular state does.

I don't want a religiously based POTUS, I want a reality-based POTUS.

Exactly! :clap2:

no i would not vote for a mormon....have yall looked into their belief system?

Sadly, I have.

There's a reason why Utah leads the country in prescriptions for anti-depressents, people!

hey, here's a wonderful crazy belief.

Dark Skin is a Curse from God.

Not only do Mormons believe that black folks were cursed with blackness because of Ham's sin against Noah (Genesis 9), but they also believe that Native Americans were cursed with dark skin for rejecting Jesus.

Yup, according to crazy Mormon doctrine, Hebrews came to America in the 7th century BCE. They founded a huge civilization that apparently left not a single shred of archeological evidence. Then in the first Century, Jesus stopped by and converted half of them, known as the Nephites, to Christianity... Er.. Mormonism. And the other half, known as the Lamanites, decided to completely and utterly slaughter them for it. God cursed them with dark skin and they were the ancestors of the Native Americans.

Yup. This is what Mormons actually beleive.

Now, keeping in mind the only way the GOP stays viable as a party long term or has much of a chance short term is by convincing minorities that they have their interests at heart. Saying that God has cursed them with dark skin isn't going to exactly win them over.

("No, no, Joe. YOu are a big meaniehead for hating Mormons. How dare you judge them on their crazy beliefs?")

Religion means nothing to me.

Fuckin nihilist! :lol:

LOL

OTOH,

Nilhilism is something to believe in, too.

True nihilists don't even know they're nilhilists.

They haven't bothered to even think about it.

Why not?

Because the true nihilist doubts that one can really KNOW anything.

People who call themselves nilhilts totally missed the point.

As long as they don't let thier religious beliefs get in the way of running the country correctly or try to foist their views on me I have no problem with voting for a Mormon or someone of any other religion.

Hell. I'd vote for someone who worships an idol in the corner if he's someone who shares my views.

no i would not vote for a mormon....have yall looked into their belief system?

Sadly, I have.

There's a reason why Utah leads the country in prescriptions for anti-depressents, people!

hey, here's a wonderful crazy belief.

Dark Skin is a Curse from God.

Not only do Mormons believe that black folks were cursed with blackness because of Ham's sin against Noah (Genesis 9), but they also believe that Native Americans were cursed with dark skin for rejecting Jesus.

Yup, according to crazy Mormon doctrine, Hebrews came to America in the 7th century BCE. They founded a huge civilization that apparently left not a single shred of archeological evidence. Then in the first Century, Jesus stopped by and converted half of them, known as the Nephites, to Christianity... Er.. Mormonism. And the other half, known as the Lamanites, decided to completely and utterly slaughter them for it. God cursed them with dark skin and they were the ancestors of the Native Americans.

Yup. This is what Mormons actually beleive.

Now, keeping in mind the only way the GOP stays viable as a party long term or has much of a chance short term is by convincing minorities that they have their interests at heart. Saying that God has cursed them with dark skin isn't going to exactly win them over.

("No, no, Joe. YOu are a big meaniehead for hating Mormons. How dare you judge them on their crazy beliefs?")

Oh man, Carefullwiththataxeeugene ! Holey shit is that you?

Forum List

Back