Would You Remove?

When and why it was erected is important. If it was erected soon after the civil war, it would be a historic monument commemorating the actions of the soldier. That is not when or why it was erected. Instead, it was erected in 1965, in the middle of the civil rights movement as an insult to those fighting for racial equality. If it was intended to honor him personally, instead of the segregation that he fought for, it would have been erected much sooner. Many confederate statues were erected near the same time, and for the same purpose. They are not historical monuments. They are political statements supporting segregation.

So you’d be for removing it?

Yep.

Fredericksburg

I have no problem with the statue in Fredericksburg
Great battle was fought there

There are many statues in Fredericksburg

That's weird.

I seem to recall you attacking not only them, but anyone that supports statues to them, as "traitors".
I have no problem with statues at battlefield sites

I do object to statues erected in City Hall during the Civil Rights period to put blacks in their place

1965 was during the Civil Rights era.

I know......but I do not object to statues at battlefields
That is where they belong

I've seen thousands of statues in town and cities.

Hey, is this one ok, even though it is not on a battle field?

tour_img-739075-148.jpg

th

Considering that federal law says that all the Confederate vets are supposed to be treated and honored as United States veterans I say "NO it should remain standing".

*****SMILE*****

:)

When and why it was erected is important. If it was erected soon after the civil war, it would be a historic monument commemorating the actions of the soldier. That is not when or why it was erected. Instead, it was erected in 1965, in the middle of the civil rights movement as an insult to those fighting for racial equality. If it was intended to honor him personally, instead of the segregation that he fought for, it would have been erected much sooner. Many confederate statues were erected near the same time, and for the same purpose. They are not historical monuments. They are political statements supporting segregation.

Yep.

The Confederate soldier’s name was Kirkland.

That's weird.

I seem to recall you attacking not only them, but anyone that supports statues to them, as "traitors".

I do object to statues erected in City Hall during the Civil Rights period to put blacks in their place

tour_img-739075-148.jpg

Thanks for demonstrating the republican form of logic. It's sometimes difficult to explain just how goofy right wing logic is. It's much easier to just point to examples like this to expose your pathetic thought processes

That's weird.

tour_img-739075-148.jpg
Of course it is
It is in NJ

Yep.

And?

Where is the statue and when was it erected?

Fredericksburg

That's weird.

No, you don't. RW has always said statues appropriately erected soon after the CW, as opposed to statues to commemorate segregation, were fine. You just like segregation statues just fine.

It should never have been erected. Such memorials should be in dedicated facilities, privately owned.

What would sane Americans say about Nazi historical figures being similarly honored in Germany? The comparison is not that far off.
Not even close to being the same. If Germans wanted to honor their war dead, I could care less.

It should never have been erected. Such memorials should be in dedicated facilities, privately owned.

What would sane Americans say about Nazi historical figures being similarly honored in Germany? The comparison is not that far off.
Not even close to being the same. If Germans wanted to honor their war dead, I could care less.

This isn't Germany.

This isn't Germany.
And the question was: What would sane Americans say about Nazi historical figures being similarly honored in Germany?

That's weird.

tour_img-739075-148.jpg

Thanks for demonstrating the republican form of logic. It's sometimes difficult to explain just how goofy right wing logic is. It's much easier to just point to examples like this to expose your pathetic thought processes

It proves he is talking shit.

Yep.

And?

And you never heard of The Angel of Marye’s Heights?

Yep.

And?

And you never heard of The Angel of Marye’s Heights?
No but I just Google him and it is a very interesting story, Thank you

This isn't Germany.
And the question was: What would sane Americans say about Nazi historical figures being similarly honored in Germany?

Interesting, but not surprising that you would not have a problem with a statue honoring Nazis

I have been to dozens of Civil War battlefields. Many have statues and display flags of both sides
That is historical and I have no problem

But the statues that are being removed are on public squares in communities that never even saw a battle. They were erected during the civil rights period by all white city councils looking to preserve their white heritage

Now those city councils are controlled by blacks who see history from a different perspective and want those statues removed

This isn't Germany.

Interesting, but not surprising that you would not have a problem with a statue honoring Nazis
So Im supposed to feel bad about what the people in another country feel abut their war dead?
No, I think it is you that has a problem.

Forum List

Back