Would You Be For An Anti-Lynching Bill?

Are you for an Anti-Lynching Bill?

• I'm a Republican, and I'm FOR such a bill.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a Republican, and I'm AGAINST such a bill.

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I'm a Democrat, and I'm FOR such a bill.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • I'm a Democrat, and I'm AGAINST such a bill.

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • I'm a Independent, and I'm FOR such a bill.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • I'm a Independent, and I'm AGAINST such a bill.

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters
They've been trying to get an anti-lynching bill signed in Congress for years now.

Are you for, or against such a bill? Why/why not?
Well, lynchings are pretty rare these days but I can't see any reason not to have an anti-lynching bill. It certainly can't do any harm.

How about a "anti-walking the plank bill" or a "anti-burning at the stake bill"

Maybe we could have an "anti-cat of nine tails" bill after those two
Well, none of those have the same historic connotations but whatever floats yer boat I guess.

So, you want to pass a bill dealing with actions today based upon historical connotations vice what is actually happening today?

Is that really what you think the job of the government is?
They aren't really accomplishing anything else right now so why not?

Why have a bill for something that does not happen much at all and is covered by dozens of other laws.

What's next, a "Anti-walking the plank" bill?

Perhaps the politicians in Congress are getting a little nervous about their approval rating? I still don't see how they think passing a law indicating we cannot string them up would do much good.

They've been trying to get an anti-lynching bill signed in Congress for years now.

A what? Who's being lynched?

Maybe we need a law against stoning and one against tar and feathering? Hell, maybe we already have some of those laws from way, way back.

From the article...

"Lynching is a dark, despicable part of our history, and we must acknowledge that, lest we repeat it," Harris said in the statement about the bill on Friday.

Scott agreed the measure is "certainly well past due" adding that, "this piece of legislation sends a message that together, as a nation, we condemn the actions of those that try to divide us with violence and hate."

No Republicans have backed the bill.

I wonder why guy this can't find any other Republicans to sign this bill...?

Well, lynchings are pretty rare these days but I can't see any reason not to have an anti-lynching bill. It certainly can't do any harm.

How about a "anti-walking the plank bill" or a "anti-burning at the stake bill"

Maybe we could have an "anti-cat of nine tails" bill after those two
Well, none of those have the same historic connotations but whatever floats yer boat I guess.

So, you want to pass a bill dealing with actions today based upon historical connotations vice what is actually happening today?

Is that really what you think the job of the government is?
They aren't really accomplishing anything else right now so why not?

The less they do the better off the country is.

From the article...

"Lynching is a dark, despicable part of our history, and we must acknowledge that, lest we repeat it," Harris said in the statement about the bill on Friday.

Scott agreed the measure is "certainly well past due" adding that, "this piece of legislation sends a message that together, as a nation, we condemn the actions of those that try to divide us with violence and hate."

No Republicans have backed the bill.

I wonder why guy this can't find any other Republicans to sign this bill...?

Um, because it's a stupid political ploy.

It's a cynical political ploy, nothing more.
Your plot sounds very interesting...please, do go on.

bucket

Last edited:

Why do we need an anti-lynching bill/law? Lynching is murder and it’s against the law. We don’t have anti-death by gunshot laws that I know of, or anti-stabbing someone to death laws. No matter how you kill someone you’ve broken the law and subject to punishment.

Lynching is already illegal. What does this law add?

It adds bullshit.

Which is all dimocrap scum are good at.

Instead of wasting time trying to get Bullshit through the US Congress, why don't they try working on REAL problems?

Oh, they've all been solved??

Imagine that

First question- who is the “they” trying to get an anti lynching bill?

Second question- are there people being lynched, do we have a lynching issue, why haven’t I heard about all these lynchings?

Third question- why are you such a transparent phony?

FYI- I didn’t answer your phony survey.

So far (according to the link Penelope provided) we can assume "they" are African American Senators. But since legislation should not originate in the Senate, that may explain why "they" are having problems.

Your plot sounds interesting...please, go on.

bucket

The Dems are counting on the stupidity of their base, the Pubs do it all the time too. Nobody is being "lynched", the "ploy" is to try and show that "Pubs" want to hang people like you, then parade it around from now until election time to rile up the black community. Are you falling for it?

It depends on the details. That's where the devil is. What does this law do that murder laws don't?
It makes it a federal hate crime. But what if a group of white vigilantes hang a white guy for raping their cousin? It's not racism, just murder. Maybe the bill makes it clear what is covered under the statute.
I don't see a need for it. Seventy, eighty years ago it might have been useful.

Lynching is by definition 'premeditated extrajudicial murder' hence covered under existing laws relating to murder. Anti-lynching laws are purely politically motivated unless one can show a compelling need for such laws due to the on going, unpunished acts of lynching still occurring in our day and age. Last I checked the last lynching happened in 1981 and all the perpetrators were brought to justice.

Your plot sounds interesting...please, go on.

bucket

The Dems are counting on the stupidity of their base, the Pubs do it all the time too. Nobody is being "lynched", the "ploy" is to try and show that "Pubs" want to hang people like you, then parade it around from now until election time to rile up the black community. Are you falling for it?

It's simply virtue signaling, nothing more.

We don't need a new bill as there are already bills in place.

Forum List

Back