Would Most Gays Have Settled for Civil Unions Instead Of Marriages?

Clementine

Platinum Member
Dec 18, 2011
Just some food for thought. Libs will attack because I'm not one of them, but I wish for once I could get a few thoughtful answers.

I know some who would have been just fine with civil unions. Still a commitment and they get all the tax and insurance benefits of a married couple.

It seems that it wasn't gays crying for marriage, but rather those who dislike, or even hate, religion. The left often takes up causes that don't exist, at least not until they convince enough people that they should feel insulted, belittled or even outraged. The left has an agenda and they will use any means or any people to get what they want.

Insisting that gays must be able to use the term 'marriage' meant redefining it. It was never about the right to legally commit to another person and enjoy all the perks of being a legal couple.

This is an interesting article that does point out some things regarding the recent push for gay marriage. I don't expect any real discussion from the left, but I will remind you libs that I attended my niece's wedding and supported her and her girlfriend. Funny, they didn't care what the union was called. They wanted commitment and the ability to file joint taxes and cover each other on insurance. Marriage is a religious term adopted by lawmakers, but can anyone tell me why the language was more important than the act?

The left has never been supportive of marriage. Some feminists even called it legal slavery. Why the dismissal of any talk regarding civil unions that would have been the exact same thing only without the religious ties?

"The media created a false debate "marriage or no" to paint a battle between the evil bigots and righteous crusaders. No one mentioned the civil union approach. That solution was junked quickly, tipping the real target for using gays: religion. The Supreme Court even mentioned granting dignity in the ruling, which is comical considered how smeared marriage has become. If marriage is an oppressive institution for women, why push gays into it? If it is old and archaic, why do gays want it? Humpty Dumpty leftism strikes again! Marriage is awesome right now for this tiny group!

They want it because despite the smearing, we know the value of it. The emotional connection between couples. A newer wedding reception tradition is the anniversary dance. All married couples get on the dance floor to dance to one song. Every ten seconds the host asks couples married under X years to leave the floor. Those younger couples create a circle around those left dancing, and the couples are whittled down until it is the married couple with the longest tenure left. The crowd claps for the 50, 60 or 65 years the couple has been together. Some people will get teary-eyed because they recognize what those years mean. Usually, that couple shuffling on the dance floor is the elder statesmen duo of the family, and this wedding and the crowd is the extended product of their union. Song ends, the old man kisses his bride, and the new bride and groom hug the old couple. That long lived couple is the hoped for future for the new couple.

Everyone present understands that communal moment. Those dances make for great Kodak moments, but you would never see Hollywood push that. The media will push as much programming as possible to get you to forget the spiritual element to marriage. The weak-willed, who will forget they cried as they saw their grandparents dancing at a wedding, made the jump from civil unions for gays to marriage for gays because "Who cares? Marriage doesn’t matter anymore." That moment of past and future and the implications of children for a new generation to repeat the cycle is part of the sacred moment and public recognition of marriage.

That spirit and legitimacy could never be granted by a government in a contentious manner to homosexuals who cannot reproduce. This is lost on the egalitarian pushers, it is lost on the herd creatures who forget, but it is not lost on us."

http://redicecreations.com/article.php?id=33857

Just some food for thought. Libs will attack because I'm not one of them, but I wish for once I could get a few thoughtful answers. I know some who would have been just fine with civil unions. Still a commitment and they get all the tax and insurance benefits of a married couple.
The real question that should be asked is, "Why do you even care?" It doesn't effect your, my or anyone else's marriage.

Just some food for thought. Libs will attack because I'm not one of them, but I wish for once I could get a few thoughtful answers.

I know some who would have been just fine with civil unions. Still a commitment and they get all the tax and insurance benefits of a married couple.

It seems that it wasn't gays crying for marriage, but rather those who dislike, or even hate, religion. The left often takes up causes that don't exist, at least not until they convince enough people that they should feel insulted, belittled or even outraged. The left has an agenda and they will use any means or any people to get what they want.

Insisting that gays must be able to use the term 'marriage' meant redefining it. It was never about the right to legally commit to another person and enjoy all the perks of being a legal couple.

Okay you are kind of all over the place here- let me break down what I think you are saying:

a) You know some gays that would have been just fine with civil unions
I imagine lots of gays would have been- heck much better than not having any kind of legal union. The problem is that the opponents of 'gay marriage' were also opponents of 'civil unions'

Don't believe me? Look at Georgia's gay marriage ban- which also- explicitly bans civil unions too.

And here is the thing- as long as some states banned both same gender marriages and civil unions- any gay couple who needed to travel or relocate to another state would face the possibility of crossing a state line and no longer being legally related.

Gay couples sued for marriage because Americans have a right to marry- but no right to civil unions- so there was redress in the courts, but would be no redress for states not recognizing 'civil unions'.

b) It seems that it wasn't gays crying for marriage, but rather those who dislike, or even hate, religion

Why does it seem like that you? Let us look at the well known examples- the case of Edith Windsor and DOMA

abc_wn_sawyer_130626_wg.jpg

They were together for 40 years- went to Canada to get married and then Federal government would not recognize their marriage.

Why do you think that they were motivated by a hatred of religion?

How about James Obergefall and partner?
Meet Jim Obergefell The Man Behind the Supreme Court Same-Sex Marriage Case - ABC News

Jim Obergefell's case will affect the marriage laws under which about 200 million Americans live, but the reason he sued his home state of Ohio was very personal: To make state bureaucracy recognize him as the widower of his late partner of 21 years, John Arthur.

They were legally married in Maryland just a few months before John died in 2013 -- but in 2004, Ohio voters had amended their state constitution to prohibit gay marriage from being "valid in or recognized by" the Buckeye State. In April, Obergefell's lawyer argued his case before the Supreme Court, which could issue its opinion as soon as today.

So I addressed two of your points- that seems enough.

I look forward to your response.

"The problem is that the opponents of 'gay marriage' were also opponents of 'civil unions'" is absolutely correct.

Let the gay haters prove they were not opposed. They can't.

My great uncle was gay, and would have laughed at either option.

Gays were not going to be happy till they had destroyed the institution of marriage. Marriage between a man and a woman were part of a society that does not include homosexuals. The only way to gain ACCEPTANCE and form a society that would condone your life style, was to change societal rules. Now that marriage can be between two same sex partners we are in a different society, one is which gays can find acceptance and tolerance.

They would not have been satisfied with anything less than marriage as it would not have changed our societal values in the manner they were seeking.

Gays were not going to be happy till they had destroyed the institution of marriage. Marriage between a man and a woman were part of a society that does not include homosexuals. The only way to gain ACCEPTANCE and form a society that would condone your life style, was to change societal rules. Now that marriage can be between two same sex partners we are in a different society, one is which gays can find acceptance and tolerance. They would not have been satisfied with anything less than marriage as it would not have changed our societal values in the manner they were seeking.

No American should ever have to "settle" for less than the rest of us take for granted.

And the link is beyond merely ridiculous. There's not one word of truth in it.

Dipshit, the argument came down to words, as in which ones to use to describe the union. The left immediately dismissed the civil unions, opting to call it marriage.

No one settles. It's nothing more than a religious term versus a more descriptive term for a couple.

Question was why did so many liberals, many of whom are not gay, put up such a fight to use the word marriage?

Gays were not going to be happy till they had destroyed the institution of marriage. /QUOTE]

And bigots like you will not be happy until you arrange for the murder or imprisonment of all gays.

What the couples suing for recognition of their right to marry wanted was to be married just like my wife and I are married.

Edith Windsor- with her wife for 40 years- stayed with her as her health failed- yet scum like you say she only wanted to destroy the institution of marriage?

And bigots like you will not be happy until you arrange for the murder or imprisonment of all gays.

What the couples suing for recognition of their right to marry wanted was to be married just like my wife and I are married.

Edith Windsor- with her wife for 40 years- stayed with her as her health failed- yet scum like you say she only wanted to destroy the institution of marriage?

Once you've conceded that you don't object to same sex civil unions, you have no argument left against same sex marriage;

all the arguments you might have otherwise made as to why same sex marriage is a threat to our society disappear when you accept same sex civil unions. You yourself have declared same sex marriage no harm to society.

No American should ever have to "settle" for less than the rest of us take for granted.

Question was why did so many liberals, many of whom are not gay, put up such a fight to use the word marriage?

Well I can only answer for myself- I fought for the rights of Americans- who happen to be gay- to marry just like my wife and I are married.

Question for you: why do you think homosexuals should settle for second class citizenship?

Dipshit, the argument came down to words, as in which ones to use to describe the union. The left immediately dismissed the civil unions, opting to call it marriage.

No one settles. It's nothing more than a religious term versus a more descriptive term for a couple.

Okay you are kind of all over the place here- let me break down what I think you are saying:

I imagine lots of gays would have been- heck much better than not having any kind of legal union. The problem is that the opponents of 'gay marriage' were also opponents of 'civil unions'

Don't believe me? Look at Georgia's gay marriage ban- which also- explicitly bans civil unions too.

And here is the thing- as long as some states banned both same gender marriages and civil unions- any gay couple who needed to travel or relocate to another state would face the possibility of crossing a state line and no longer being legally related.

Gay couples sued for marriage because Americans have a right to marry- but no right to civil unions- so there was redress in the courts, but would be no redress for states not recognizing 'civil unions'.

b) It seems that it wasn't gays crying for marriage, but rather those who dislike, or even hate, religion

Why does it seem like that you? Let us look at the well known examples- the case of Edith Windsor and DOMA

They were together for 40 years- went to Canada to get married and then Federal government would not recognize their marriage.

Meet Jim Obergefell The Man Behind the Supreme Court Same-Sex Marriage Case - ABC News

Jim Obergefell's case will affect the marriage laws under which about 200 million Americans live, but the reason he sued his home state of Ohio was very personal: To make state bureaucracy recognize him as the widower of his late partner of 21 years, John Arthur.

They were legally married in Maryland just a few months before John died in 2013 -- but in 2004, Ohio voters had amended their state constitution to prohibit gay marriage from being "valid in or recognized by" the Buckeye State. In April, Obergefell's lawyer argued his case before the Supreme Court, which could issue its opinion as soon as today.

"The media created a false debate "marriage or no" to paint a battle between the evil bigots and righteous crusaders. No one mentioned the civil union approach. That solution was junked quickly, tipping the real target for using gays: religion. 7

Since Clemintine seems determined to make this a liberal versus religion thing, I will be glad to point out what total BS this claim is.

The Civil Union approach was bitterly fought by the anti-gay Christians- who passed this Georgia Constitutional Amendment:
(a) This state shall recognize as marriage only the union of man and woman. Marriages between persons of the same sex are prohibited in this state.
(b) No union between persons of the same sex shall be recognized by this state as entitled to the benefits of marriage. This state shall not give effect to any public act, record, or judicial proceeding of any other state or jurisdiction respecting a relationship between persons of the same sex that is treated as a marriage under the laws of such other state or jurisdiction. The courts of this state shall have no jurisdiction to grant a divorce or separate maintenance with respect to any such relationship or otherwise to consider or rule on any of the parties' respective rights arising as a result of or in connection with such relationship.[3]
This Amendment was approved by 76% of the voters- in a state that is majority Christian and conservative.

More examples?

Again- Christian Conservatives fighting against Civil Unions
Christian opposition again credited with defeat of Hawaii gay unions bill
HONOLULU (BP)--A same-sex civil unions bill in Hawaii likely is dead for the year after the Democratic-controlled House bowed to pressure from Christian conservatives and voted to table the measure.

It's the second year in a row that opposition from religious conservatives has helped defeat the bill.

And in polling in 2003 who supported civil unions- and who opposed civil unions?

Liberals supported them- Christian Conservatives opposed.

Opposition To Gay Marriage Grows - CBS News

White evangelical Christians who say religion is extremely important to them are strongly opposed to gay civil unions (as well as gay marriage):

And again

Catholics oppose Civil Unions bill
Bishop Conley warns against dangerous Colorado civil unions bill Catholic News Agency CNA

Denver, Colo., Jan 11, 2012 / 06:06 am (CNA).- A Colorado proposal to recognize same-sex civil unions is a “dangerous and unjust” effort to redefine marriage warns Bishop James D. Conley, the apostolic administrator of the Archdiocese of Denver.

“We do not know the long-term consequences of creating a parallel for marriage, distinct from its ancient and natural meaning. But we do know they will be severe,” Bishop Conley said in his Jan. 11 column for the Denver Catholic Register.

He said that a renewed legislative push for civil unions in the state threatens to erode the “unique status” of marriage as between one man and one woman.

This upcoming weekend, the Colorado Catholic Conference will ask Catholics to sign postcards to legislators in opposition to the move.

Would straight people?

YES. The only legitimate government interest in this area is the welfare of children, who are almost always better off in a stable home with two biological or adoptive parents. That is why there are tax deductions for dependents and joint tax returns when one parent is caring for them. It was originally made deliberately difficult to dissolve this arrangement, but no-fault divorce has greatly undermined this contractual relationship.

Easily dissolvable Civil Unions should be available to all couples who want to combine their resources and legal rights, but the aforementioned tax advantages should only be available to legally Married couples with biological or adopted children.

I didn't say all were against religion and I am pointing out the ones who insisted it be called marriage instead of civil unions. They would be the same thing as far as the law is concerned and only religion separates a marriage and a civil union. I am saying we should make a law that allows civil unions for anyone, not just gays. I say that because marriage, as intended, is a religious thing where people vow to stay together till death. Too many don't take that seriously, especially Hollywood actors who marry someone and will stay married till they fall in love with their next costar. That is why they always have prenups. Point is, religious people get married and all others technically have civil unions. Why the focus on the marriage term?

I support people being legal couples, and don't think it should matter what it's called. If marriage is a religious word, let them have it and call it something else. The left wasn't interested in defending civil unions and the courts would have decided for those as easily as marriage. It was marriage that was pushed through the courts, not civil unions. It doesn't matter that some people were against both. My point is that they could have called it something else. Instead, we have 'gay marriage', which already separates gay unions. It's just a word, but the left wasn't willing to bend on that.

Some people have a mate and they should be able to cover them with insurance or be considered legal family. I just wonder why the left didn't fight for civil unions for anyone who wants one rather than going out of their way to redefine marriage. Civil unions would not have needed redefining, so why use the term 'marriage' if not to insult religious people.

Forum List

Back