Tennessee allows Government Officials to refuse to approve marriages they don’t agree with

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
An obvious attempt to deny gays the right to marriage

But it does not limit itself to same sex marriage.

If a couple is interracial, can they be denied marriage?
If the couple has engaged in adultery, can you deny marriage for religious reasons.
If you think the bride is too ugly or too fat, can you deny the marriage because you find it repulsive?

If the couple has engaged in adultery, can you deny marriage for religious reasons.
If you think the bride is too ugly or too fat, can you deny the marriage because you find it repulsive?
:auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg:

Are sister/wife marriages being excluded in the southern states?

“As societal views change about what constitutes a marriage, officiants must be able to refuse to solemnize marriages that are contrary to their beliefs,” Fritts said during the meeting. “The government has a responsibility to protect the exercise of religious beliefs. … Those with the authority to perform civil ceremonies would also be permitted to refuse to solemnize marriage for reasons of conscience.”

That just means to perform the ceremony. No bigs. You don't want government making you do something when there are a full array of options.

That just means to perform the ceremony. No bigs. You don't want government making you do something when there are a full array of options.

In Tennessee, only certain people can “solemnize” the “rite of matrimony,” including state notary publics, government officials, and religious figures, according to state code.

I support the right of a minister to not officiate a service that is contrary to their faith.
But a Notary Public or Government Official should be bound by separation of church and state.

If you can’t represent all applicants equally, you should not accept the position

This is who can do it. Turns out a whole lot can do it. Just get a notary.
In Tennessee, only certain people can “solemnize” the “rite of matrimony,” including state notary publics, government officials, and religious figures, according to state code.

I support the right of a minister to not officiate a service that is contrary to their faith.
But a Notary Public or Government Official should be bound by separation of church and state.
Your argument has stronger merit - and I would agree with it - when there aren't substitutes. Here there are a plethora of them when you add in notaries. if someone doesn't want to, why would you want them anyway?

Unless you live there, none of your damn business.

Your argument has stronger merit - and I would agree with it - when there aren't substitutes. Here there are a plethora of them when you add in notaries. if someone doesn't want to, why would you want them anyway?

If you go to a minister and he turns you down, your substitute would be a Justice of the Peace, mayor or judge

If they are allowed to also turn you away, it is unconstitutional.

In some Bible Belt communities, there may be nobody to officiate

I might have voted for him, but it does not mean I agree with or support everything he signs his name to. I do not know why the right wing, cannot just leave people the fuck alone. County court clerks, should be serving all the residents of the county, not just the right wing Christian community.

If you go to a minister and he turns you down, your substitute would be a Justice of the Peace, mayor or judge
Except in Tennessee, in which case its also a notary and a slew of others:

36-3-301. Persons who may solemnize marriages.​

(a)
(1) All regular ministers, preachers, pastors, priests, rabbis and other spiritual leaders of every religious belief, more than eighteen (18) years of age, having the care of souls, and all members of the county legislative bodies, county mayors, judges, chancellors, former chancellors and former judges of a county, a municipality, or this state, former county executives or county mayors of this state, former members of quarterly county courts or county commissions, the governor, the speaker of the senate and former speakers of the senate, the speaker of the house of representatives and former speakers of the house of representatives, members and former members of the general assembly who have filed notice pursuant to subsection (l), law enforcement chaplains duly appointed by the heads of authorized state and local law enforcement agencies, members of the legislative body of any municipality in this state, the county clerk of each county, former county clerks of this state who occupied the office of county clerk on or after July 1, 2014, notaries public, and the mayor of any municipality in this state may solemnize the rite of matrimony. For the purposes of this section, the several judges of the United States courts, including United States magistrates, United States bankruptcy judges, and federal administrative law judges, who are citizens of Tennessee are deemed to be judges of this state. The amendments to this section by chapter 336 of the Public Acts of 1987, which applied provisions of this section to certain former judges, do not apply to any judge who has been convicted of a felony or who has been removed from office.

Now I will agree with you that government officials should have to fulfill their role, or have another in their stead appointed as a substitute.

I might have voted for him, but it does not mean I agree with or support everything he signs his name to. I do not know why the right wing, cannot just leave people the fuck alone. County court clerks, should be serving all the residents of the county, not just the right wing Christian community.

Your cult first.

Forum List

Back