Would Jesus approve of Glenn Beck's rhetoric?

He said 10. There were 10 people among the thousands that pissed him off. I understand that. I saw a few interviews with some family members that kind of annoyed me too. So what?

Personally, I'm still trying to dig around on Beck to see what all the outrage is about.... However, as a general comment I think that, if any of us were to spend an hour a day on live radio for a year.... I bet the rest of the forum could find plenty of off the cuff remarks that they would consider offensive.

What I need.... in order to ascertain that he is 'spewing hate' is consistent, constant, rhetoric on the same theme. So far, I have not found that to be the case. If you have the evidence, I'd like to see it.

That changes everything. :lol:
He hates people who lost family members, I don't care what they wanted, they deserve Beck saying such crap.

My point, mo chara, is that the remark may have been offensive - and I agree that it was offensive... It was, to my best understanding, a one off remark. Does he consistently berate the victims families? No. And he qualified the statement - he said 10 people - not all the families.... still not a nice comment but it is not 'spewing hate'. He said it once. One time. I'll bet, in your lifetime, you've said things that you didn't really mean the way it came out. It happens. It certainly has happened to me. He's on the radio and tv for hours every day.... I defy anyone to do that kind of program... day in and day out... without saying something that other people are gonna say 'WTF' about.

Logical people will understand this. 'Hate speech' is consistant and constant repetition of language deliberately targeted to a group of people to influence their view of another group. Otherwise, it is just a dumb comment.

Why?

I watched some of it, I thought it was nothing outrageous, nothing truly offensive towards others....not what I had expected at all....

granted, I only got about 15 minutes of it, before I changed channels, but it seemed pretty ho hum, to me...?

because jesus always took issue with pharisees and people who used g-d's name for political gain.

just sayin'

Why?

I watched some of it, I thought it was nothing outrageous, nothing truly offensive towards others....not what I had expected at all....

granted, I only got about 15 minutes of it, before I changed channels, but it seemed pretty ho hum, to me...?

because jesus always took issue with pharisees and people who used g-d's name for political gain.

just sayin'
Yep. IMO, that is exactly what he's doing...there's an election coming up and he is using God to get the wingers out to vote. Sad, really. And disgusting. But it works. :eusa_eh:

Why?

just sayin'

DING! DING! DING! We have a WINNER!!!!!!!!!! :clap2:

Why?

just sayin'

OY VAY!

Jillian...schoolin' us about Jesus!

Who knew!

He said 10. There were 10 people among the thousands that pissed him off. I understand that. I saw a few interviews with some family members that kind of annoyed me too. So what?

Personally, I'm still trying to dig around on Beck to see what all the outrage is about.... However, as a general comment I think that, if any of us were to spend an hour a day on live radio for a year.... I bet the rest of the forum could find plenty of off the cuff remarks that they would consider offensive.

What I need.... in order to ascertain that he is 'spewing hate' is consistent, constant, rhetoric on the same theme. So far, I have not found that to be the case. If you have the evidence, I'd like to see it.

That changes everything. :lol:
He hates people who lost family members, I don't care what they wanted, they deserve Beck saying such crap.

My point, mo chara, is that the remark may have been offensive - and I agree that it was offensive... It was, to my best understanding, a one off remark. Does he consistently berate the victims families? No. And he qualified the statement - he said 10 people - not all the families.... still not a nice comment but it is not 'spewing hate'. He said it once. One time. I'll bet, in your lifetime, you've said things that you didn't really mean the way it came out. It happens. It certainly has happened to me. He's on the radio and tv for hours every day.... I defy anyone to do that kind of program... day in and day out... without saying something that other people are gonna say 'WTF' about.

Logical people will understand this. 'Hate speech' is consistant and constant repetition of language deliberately targeted to a group of people to influence their view of another group. Otherwise, it is just a dumb comment.

You act like we don't watch him or see clips of him. Every day he going off on progressives. How many times do think he has used liberal and communist in the same sentence?

Personally, I don't think it matters. People are calling what Glen Beck and his followers did a "religious revival. Glen Beck says that he's leading as the nation is "turning back to God". My question is what god exactly are they turning "back" too?

I see this nation as purely secular.

It's laws should be secular, and salvation should be solely the concern of the individual, which is why I don't believe in "Christian values" being forced on public policy. I also don't believe that this nation was founded as a "Christian nation". If it was I PERSONALLY don't see God condoning the practice of the Atlantic Slave Trade. how could a nation founded upon God be involved in such a trade and still parade around claiming to have "christian values".

In the essense of purity and holiness, I don't think any one modern nation today is called by God to do anything. I don't believe in "collective salvation" as much as I don't believe in "national salvation".

Yes I believe in revivals sweeping through various nations as the Spirit of God sees fit. There was one in Haiti after the earthquake which wasn't reported on in the mainstream media. It followed a Biblical pattern of revivals:

Reportedly:
Millions of people came out into the streets for a national day of prayer.
3000 were converted.
Demons were cast out.
Healings took place.
There were calls for fasting.
Hundreds were baptized in the name of Jesus(negating the "trinitarian formula").
Many recieved the gift of the Holy Spirit through the laying on of hands.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5vEntWb7AI]YouTube - Revival In Haiti - A Call To Fasting And Prayer[/ame]

This great "turning to God" that happened in Washington DC is questionable to me because of who attended, and the reports coming out of it. If I heard of massive conversions and healings I'd consider it a possibly. But I didn't hear of that at all. Beck has this new found religious zeal that falls in line with most of mainstream christianity. Alot of his preachers, though they're not "liberation theologists" still have questionable beliefs, even heretical ones. Which is why I don't believe that this nation's political leaders have any business coming together and promoting a national revival. I won't attend a revival with heretics. National or not. My religion and my faith is personal and should not be made political. Period.

Why?

just sayin'

And what political gain is happening?

Forum List

Back