CDZ Workout Routines

william the wie

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2009
I had to skip 11 weeks of workouts this summer due to cataract surgeries. I am having a very hard, slow time getting back to where I was before all of this started. A hurricane evacuation and the usual crap intervened but I wondering how many others were having similar problems and how they overcame it.

Without meaning to sound trite, after any injury or surgery you begin at the beginning. It's frustrating to remember where you were, but that was then. Don't worry about that, just lay out your workout plan for each week and execute it.

Being an old runner, I've learned that is really the only option. I took a nasty fall on a trail a couple years ago that set me back on both my stamina and speed. Instead of thinking how slow and short I was running, I focused on running 5-10 seconds a mile faster and a mile longer each week. I recently completed my 17th marathon and re-qualified for Boston. Just do it :up:

With my knees I'm sticking to the elliptical machines but I am taking your advice it is just very frustrating to do so. What I do find strange is that living 1.2 miles from the ocean with effectively no sidewalks I use the gym like most people out here. That is one source of confusion why do so many people use cheats on machines when working out to get in or stay in shape?

Many years ago I read that on average a person had to work out the equivalent of 7 years to add about five years to their lifespan. To me that's a 2 year loss so I quit and have never worried about it since. I feel fine. Stress is a major killer; my brother is a health nut, but is also always pushing himself, has had serious ulcer problems, high blood pressure, tumors, knees and ankles going bad, goes at everything like he's going to war, no matter how small or large the project is, and generally annoys everybody around him.

I'm convinced personality type plays a bigger role in later health issues than all the diets, exercise fads and other stuff combined. I know as many people who don't do anything that might cause them to break out in a sweat doing just as fine health wise as those who have their entire lifestyles built around 'fitness'. True, many aren't, many will definitely benefit, but from personal experience I don't see a lot of difference statistically; lots of 90+ year old school teachers with life long sedentary lifestyles out there, and dead 50 year old joggers and crippled 'fitness junkies' and the like. I can't help but laugh at the nuts who go out jogging or cycling in urban smog, for instance, and think they're getting 'healthy'.

There are runners who drive themselves to a point where they damage themselves and possibly even shorten their life. I don't think I'm one of them but time will tell, I guess. I have run a lot of marathons, but running is natural for me and I don't have joint issues. I have a friend who got into Crossfit and he criticized me for being "too specialized" as a runner whereas crossfit was the answer. He ended up with a torn miniscus, had surgery, recovered and then blew his shoulder out doing handstand pushups, and another surgery. I'll stick with my specialization. But your point is well taken. My mother is 92 and I don't think she's run a mile in her life. She thinks I'm nuts. I run because I like it.

There are runners who drive themselves to a point where they damage themselves and possibly even shorten their life. I don't think I'm one of them but time will tell, I guess. I have run a lot of marathons, but running is natural for me and I don't have joint issues. I have a friend who got into Crossfit and he criticized me for being "too specialized" as a runner whereas crossfit was the answer. He ended up with a torn miniscus, had surgery, recovered and then blew his shoulder out doing handstand pushups, and another surgery. I'll stick with my specialization. But your point is well taken. My mother is 92 and I don't think she's run a mile in her life. She thinks I'm nuts. I run because I like it.
I exercise to maintain mobility. I inherited bad leg joints I just want to do something that maintains my mobility.

I think that the key difference and question you have to ask is if you enjoy it,

As the other poster pointed out, stress is a real killer and those that stress over workouts and results are more than likely to be injuring themselves while those that do it because they truly enjoy the activity are likely to do wonders for their health and lifestyle.

Forum List

Back