Won't You Be My Neighbor?

I watched Mr. Rogers all the time as a kid, and I never realized his show was that deep. Making statements about race. Teaching kids what an assassination is. Teaching kids what a divorce is. He was definitely something special.

On May 1, 1969, Fred Rogers, host of the (then) recently nationally syndicated children's television series, Mister Rogers' Neighborhood (named Misterogers' Neighborhood at the time), testified before the Senate Committee on Commerce Subcommittee on Communications to defend $20 million in federal funding proposed for the newly formed non-profit Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which was at risk of being reduced to $10 million. Subcommittee chairman, Senator John Pastore (D-RI), unfamiliar with Fred Rogers, is initially abrasive toward him. Over the course of Rogers' 6 minutes of testimony, Pastore's demeanor gradually transitions to one of awe and admiration as Rogers speaks.

I can't wait to see it. The trailer alone almost made me cry. Mr. Rogers really was something else.

I love Mister Rogers. Also heard Tom Hanks will play him in an upcoming movie about Mister Rogers life.

I just read that about five minutes ago. Creating this thread made me want to check out his Wikipedia page. There are a few things I found surprising. Did you know Michael Keaton's first TV appearance was on Mr. Rogers, where he also worked as a production assistant? :eek:

I can't wait to see it. The trailer alone almost made me cry. Mr. Rogers really was something else.

I love Mister Rogers. Also heard Tom Hanks will play him in an upcoming movie about Mister Rogers life.

I just read that about five minutes ago. Creating this thread made me want to check out his Wikipedia page. There are a few things I found surprising. Did you know Michael Keaton's first TV appearance was on Mr. Rogers, where he also worked as a production assistant? :eek:

I have two books he wrote. He's a really kind person.

No I didn't know that about Micheal Keaton.I know he wrote all the songs and had a degree in music. He was ordained as a minister I think Presbyterian.

I love Mr. Rogers, but I don't know how I feel about all the race mingling. Get them coloreds out of the pool!!! :mad:

Forum List

Back