Wiping entire hard drive clean?

The easiest way is to have your computer boot from CD/DVD drive, insert the disc with the operating system you want on it and reboot. When the installation setup starts it will give you formating/erasing options, select the one you want and continue with the installation.
One thing to keep in mind is some computers use proprietary drivers to make your hardware run properly so you will want that, either on a disc that came with the computer or you'll have to download them from the makers website and save them to a CD/DVD.
This is specifically true if you're installing a fresh Windows OS, if it's Linux Ubuntu or Mint then you won't have to worry about that.

Well...you can still recover data from a drive even after a full format.
They said "make it so it is impossible to recover anything" - well the only real way to do that is to physically destroy the drive itself.

Not quite. It's true that formatting doesn't remove anything but essentially the index. The data is still there, but the record of it and it's location is gone. Computer forensics can recover the data, but it's an expensive undertaking and not something someone purchasing a used computer would likely have done.
If there is data that you absolutely can't risk being recovered, the only way to destroy it is to format and then write over it.

The easiest way is to have your computer boot from CD/DVD drive, insert the disc with the operating system you want on it and reboot. When the installation setup starts it will give you formating/erasing options, select the one you want and continue with the installation.
One thing to keep in mind is some computers use proprietary drivers to make your hardware run properly so you will want that, either on a disc that came with the computer or you'll have to download them from the makers website and save them to a CD/DVD.
This is specifically true if you're installing a fresh Windows OS, if it's Linux Ubuntu or Mint then you won't have to worry about that.

They said "make it so it is impossible to recover anything" - well the only real way to do that is to physically destroy the drive itself.

Not quite. It's true that formatting doesn't remove anything but essentially the index. The data is still there, but the record of it and it's location is gone. Computer forensics can recover the data, but it's an expensive undertaking and not something someone purchasing a used computer would likely have done.
If there is data that you absolutely can't risk being recovered, the only way to destroy it is to format and then write over it.

Thanks for that perspective. I'm getting that the answer can vary by degrees depending on how important the content is -- which gives me leeway on what to recommend to her. Appreciate it, Ernie.

Not good enough.
Look...if I was dying and had compromising or embarrassing data on my computer and wanted to be absolutely-positively 1000% sure that no way no how could someone get any data whatsoever - - - - then destroying the platters is the best option...period.
Cheap-quick-eternal and complete satisfaction of any concern.
That is what I would do - and what this person deserves from Pogo...knowing it is absolutely gone.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for your input. I feel I can intelligently give a complete answer now.

Much appreciated. Cheers.

[...]

That said, if the owner of the HDD is still determined to wipe all data from it, I'd say the most effective means is rather old fashioned, but extremely effective. Simply set it on top of the magnet in a large speaker and leave it there for a few minutes. The magnetic field of the speaker will destroy all data on the disc and make any retrieval of data virtually impossible.
I'm glad you posted that because I was about to say I have a very powerful electro-magnet (plugs into 110AC) which is used to bulk-erase large recording tapes. I was wondering if applying this magnet to a hard drive would erase it.

I guess you answered that question. (I never thought of using a speaker's magnet.)

Hey, I've got an industrial-size bulk tape eraser. I use it on my drier's license when it gets renewed. I could bring her that. Good idea. It would be particularly fitting since we worked in radio together.
Another one!

I think we've found the solution to the problem of erasing hard drives. (And thumb drives, too?)

I've never done this and heard conflicting advice -- a friend of mine wants to wipe out everything on her hard drive, completely, no trace, no possible recovery, etc.

I understand it's not just as simple as "C: format". Anyone ever done this?

(If you haven't, it's prolly not a good idea to experiment with the intention of reporting results...)

TIA

take out hard drive from any casing. smash into as many small bits as possible.

With the recent advent of SATA HD's and now SSHD's, the old IDE HDDs are now obsolete so very few people are using them anymore.

I couldn't agree more. However, I have found that, when it comes to HD's, using a WER to augment the TOH often significantly improves the ZSP performance of the internal RPP.

With the recent advent of SATA HD's and now SSHD's, the old IDE HDDs are now obsolete so very few people are using them anymore.

I couldn't agree more. However, I have found that, when it comes to HD's, using a WER to augment the TOH often significantly improves the ZSP performance of the internal RPP.

Methinks some of you MFs are FOS from THC, IMHO/LOL.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fjcJp_Nwvk]Rockwell Turbo Encabulator Version 2 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fjcJp_Nwvk]Rockwell Turbo Encabulator Version 2 - YouTube[/ame]

I've never done this and heard conflicting advice -- a friend of mine wants to wipe out everything on her hard drive, completely, no trace, no possible recovery, etc.

so she wants a new hard drive installed???

so she wants a new hard drive installed???

No no no.
It's been taken care of, thanks.

Nice piece of information. Virtual retrieving is possible when data is erased using some standard processes but there is no way out to determine data vanished physically, like what papawx3 said. I'd suggest to try using Linux low level formatting methods, but not sure if it works. XXXXXXX No Soliciting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back