Windows 10. Why would the visual and sound shut down, like sleep mode

Not really but many here are anti Microsoft and know nothing about it. Desktop or laptop, what make and model?
One thing you can try is to click (all at once) Windows key + Ctrl + Shift + B which should forcibly wake up your display. If that doesn't work (and it's a desktop) make sure the cable between the monitor and computer hasn't come loose and make sure your monitor is plugged in.
If it's a laptop you either have a driver problem or a hardware problem. Did Windows just do an update?
Desktop.
The bottom bar with the start and clock still displays. The rest of the screen goes black no background, no browser, and the sound shuts off. It doesn't happen often I ctrl alt delete and everything comes back. Not sure if ctrl alt delete actually made it come back. It started happening when I started playing a game requiring flash player. Seems to always happen when I have the game on one screen and the tv on the other. Both Flash player aps. Might be a coincidence since 95% of the time I have my computer set up that way.

I used to think it was the graphics card. It works hard and makes noise. Some games won't play on my computer because of graphic glitches or lag. But the bottom bar still displayed and if it were the graphics card that would be black too I think.
It still could be your graphics card if it's starting to go bad or just isn't powerful enough to do what you want it to do. The other reason I asked about any recent updates is Microsoft is famous for screwing up drivers with updates.
However given what you posted it may be your card may not be able to handle the newer Flash versions and your installation of Flash is the problem. Is it a plug in card or is it the dedicated graphics on the motherboard? Also (if it's a plug in) what make and model card?
Could be something as simple as a setting in your video/audio control. :dunno:
Almost forgot to ask, does your sound run through your Graphics card (HDMI Audio)?
graphic card that came with the computer when I bought it 8 years ago. I haven't kept a job long enough in that time to save up for a new computer. Sound is motherboard based, no sound card.
Let us know your specs. Also https://www.hwinfo.com/
Not sure I trust that site enough to download from them. Pretty page though.
I know I need to upgrade my graphics card. It's 8 years old. It'll have to wait until I find another job and save up enough to buy a car. Just lost my job. I'm a gimp can't walk. Don't have a dependable vehicle to get me to work. the cards are stacked against me.
Without knowing the specs of your system, it is hard to reccomend a fix. System memory is something that may be slowing you down.

Desktop.
The bottom bar with the start and clock still displays. The rest of the screen goes black no background, no browser, and the sound shuts off. It doesn't happen often I ctrl alt delete and everything comes back. Not sure if ctrl alt delete actually made it come back. It started happening when I started playing a game requiring flash player. Seems to always happen when I have the game on one screen and the tv on the other. Both Flash player aps. Might be a coincidence since 95% of the time I have my computer set up that way.

I used to think it was the graphics card. It works hard and makes noise. Some games won't play on my computer because of graphic glitches or lag. But the bottom bar still displayed and if it were the graphics card that would be black too I think.
It still could be your graphics card if it's starting to go bad or just isn't powerful enough to do what you want it to do. The other reason I asked about any recent updates is Microsoft is famous for screwing up drivers with updates.
However given what you posted it may be your card may not be able to handle the newer Flash versions and your installation of Flash is the problem. Is it a plug in card or is it the dedicated graphics on the motherboard? Also (if it's a plug in) what make and model card?
Almost forgot to ask, does your sound run through your Graphics card (HDMI Audio)?
graphic card that came with the computer when I bought it 8 years ago. I haven't kept a job long enough in that time to save up for a new computer. Sound is motherboard based, no sound card.
I know I need to upgrade my graphics card. It's 8 years old. It'll have to wait until I find another job and save up enough to buy a car. Just lost my job. I'm a gimp can't walk. Don't have a dependable vehicle to get me to work. the cards are stacked against me.
Without knowing the specs of your system, it is hard to reccomend a fix. System memory is something that may be slowing you down.
windows 10 home processor intel core i7cpu 860 @ 2.890ghz
8gb ram
64-bit
amd radeon hd 5700 series graphics card.
Realtek high definition audio

8gb ram
64-bit

Nehalem architecture? Lubuntu. What do you do with your computer?
I imagine no heavy gaming with HD 5700, but you might play something..

8gb ram
64-bit

Elders Scroll, Battle Tech, NeverWinter. I'm a gamer but there are a lot of games I can't play because of my graphics card. Guild wars and Guild Wars 2 has lines drawn out from every toon on the screen. Too many toons on the screen and I'm completely blind.

I would get a new computer but I have other priorities getting in the way.

8gb ram
64-bit

Elders Scroll, Battle Tech, NeverWinter. I'm a gamer but there are a lot of games I can't play because of my graphics card. Guild wars and Guild Wars 2 has lines drawn out from every toon on the screen. Too many toons on the screen and I'm completely blind.

Aw dood! You should get a good Win7 install. Disable upgrades and updates. I'm sure all that stuff runs better on 7. DDR3, right?

Last edited:
8gb ram
64-bit

Aw dood! You should get a good Win7 install. Disable upgrades and updates. I'm sure all that stuff runs better on 7. DDR3, right?
Curious stuff, bro!

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 x64 Multi Language 2019 Download

8gb ram
64-bit

Curious stuff, bro!

Garbage.

8gb ram
64-bit

Curious stuff, bro!

Garbage.
Nope. It´s working.

Curious stuff, bro!

Garbage.
Nope. It´s working.

Windows 10 is garbage. Do you have a version with all the crap shut off and Edge forcefully extracted from it? No? Well I do, and it's still garbage.

Win7 rules! Get Win 7.

8gb ram
64-bit
Not sure but from memory that chip doesn't have an igpu, so you are video card dependent. And it sounds like you are correct that your video card is the source of the problems. You can get something for under a hundred easy, if you can swing it would be better to upgrade to a new computer for a few hundred more. Igpu's are great nowadays and can do 4k no problem. Consider this chip for only 60 bucks, its good enough if you are only browsing the internet and the igpu is quite capable. AMD Athlon 200GE 2-Core, 4-Thread, 3.2 GHz Base, Socket AM4 35W YD200GC6FBBOX Desktop Processor - Newegg.com.

If you are totally strapped for cash you could pick up a used gpu on ebay. Good luck.

Curious stuff, bro!

Garbage.
Nope. It´s working.

Windows 10 is garbage. Do you have a version with all the crap shut off and Edge forcefully extracted from it? No? Well I do, and it's still garbage.

Win7 rules! Get Win 7.
Yeah, I do. It is called Enterprise. I started with the 2015 version.
Features:
- No Edge
- No Cortana
- No Store/Apps

Curious stuff, bro!

Garbage.
Nope. It´s working.

Win7 rules! Get Win 7.
Features:
- No Edge
- No Cortana
- No Store/Apps

Okay, well that might work for OP. Cool! I dug all that crap out of it anyways. :aargh:

Win7 rules! Get Win 7.
Features:
- No Edge
- No Cortana
- No Store/Apps

Okay, well that might work for OP. Cool!
Maybe but it is not accessible for users, normally...

Win7 rules! Get Win 7.
Features:
- No Edge
- No Cortana
- No Store/Apps

It'll be aight. I can't link to the super secret squirrel Win7 download. By Faster n friends. :rolleyes:

It has all the bullshit cut out of it.

Nope. It´s working.

Win7 rules! Get Win 7.
Features:
- No Edge
- No Cortana
- No Store/Apps

It'll be aight. I can't link to the super secret squirrel Win7 download. By Faster n friends. :rolleyes:

I am still on Win8.1 and I use startisback and aero glass so it behaves like Win7 but I still have the superior Taskmanager and Explorer. I am currently testing this new Windows 10 LTSC (long term service channel) for software compatibility issues in a vm.

Nope. It´s working.

Win7 rules! Get Win 7.
Features:
- No Edge
- No Cortana
- No Store/Apps

Do you also remove the apps, store and cloud manually?

Win7 rules! Get Win 7.
Features:
- No Edge
- No Cortana
- No Store/Apps

I am still on Win8.1 and I use startisback and aero glass so it behaves like Win7 but I still have the superior Taskmanager and Explorer. I am currently testing this new Windows 10 LTSC (long term service channel) for software compatibility issues in a vm.

I wiped the Win10 disk I had and used it for storage. :04:

Win7 rules! Get Win 7.
Features:
- No Edge
- No Cortana
- No Store/Apps

Do you also remove the apps, store and cloud manually?

I do anything I want to. :)

I have 90%+ of every OS ever.

Forum List

Back