Windows 10. Why would the visual and sound shut down, like sleep mode

Slyhunter

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2014
Florida
The bottom bar with the clock and stuff still displays. But everything else is black and sound cuts off. It isn't sleep mode or power down mode they are shut off.

Wipe it and install a decent OS. :rolleyes:

Agreed ...

350px-Bwdos.png

Bad place to ask for computer help?
Not really but many here are anti Microsoft and know nothing about it. Desktop or laptop, what make and model?
One thing you can try is to click (all at once) Windows key + Ctrl + Shift + B which should forcibly wake up your display. If that doesn't work (and it's a desktop) make sure the cable between the monitor and computer hasn't come loose and make sure your monitor is plugged in.
If it's a laptop you either have a driver problem or a hardware problem. Did Windows just do an update?

Last edited:
Not really but many here are anti Microsoft and know nothing about it. Desktop or laptop, what make and model?
One thing you can try is to click (all at once) Windows key + Ctrl + Shift + B which should forcibly wake up your display. If that doesn't work (and it's a desktop) make sure the cable between the monitor and computer hasn't come loose and make sure your monitor is plugged in.
If it's a laptop you either have a driver problem or a hardware problem. Did Windows just do an update?
Desktop.
The bottom bar with the start and clock still displays. The rest of the screen goes black no background, no browser, and the sound shuts off. It doesn't happen often I ctrl alt delete and everything comes back. Not sure if ctrl alt delete actually made it come back. It started happening when I started playing a game requiring flash player. Seems to always happen when I have the game on one screen and the tv on the other. Both Flash player aps. Might be a coincidence since 95% of the time I have my computer set up that way.

I used to think it was the graphics card. It works hard and makes noise. Some games won't play on my computer because of graphic glitches or lag. But the bottom bar still displayed and if it were the graphics card that would be black too I think.

Desktop.
The bottom bar with the start and clock still displays. The rest of the screen goes black no background, no browser, and the sound shuts off. It doesn't happen often I ctrl alt delete and everything comes back. Not sure if ctrl alt delete actually made it come back. It started happening when I started playing a game requiring flash player. Seems to always happen when I have the game on one screen and the tv on the other. Both Flash player aps. Might be a coincidence since 95% of the time I have my computer set up that way.

I used to think it was the graphics card. It works hard and makes noise. Some games won't play on my computer because of graphic glitches or lag. But the bottom bar still displayed and if it were the graphics card that would be black too I think.
It still could be your graphics card if it's starting to go bad or just isn't powerful enough to do what you want it to do. The other reason I asked about any recent updates is Microsoft is famous for screwing up drivers with updates.
However given what you posted it may be your card may not be able to handle the newer Flash versions and your installation of Flash is the problem. Is it a plug in card or is it the dedicated graphics on the motherboard? Also (if it's a plug in) what make and model card?
Could be something as simple as a setting in your video/audio control. :dunno:
Almost forgot to ask, does your sound run through your Graphics card (HDMI Audio)?

Last edited:
There's also the Windows Ten Forum where you might get help from much more knowledgeable people. The thing is you need to be very specific and detailed about your problem and include what computer, what hardware and which Win 10 version you have.

Desktop.

It still could be your graphics card if it's starting to go bad or just isn't powerful enough to do what you want it to do. The other reason I asked about any recent updates is Microsoft is famous for screwing up drivers with updates.
However given what you posted it may be your card may not be able to handle the newer Flash versions and your installation of Flash is the problem. Is it a plug in card or is it the dedicated graphics on the motherboard? Also (if it's a plug in) what make and model card?
Almost forgot to ask, does your sound run through your Graphics card (HDMI Audio)?
graphic card that came with the computer when I bought it 8 years ago. I haven't kept a job long enough in that time to save up for a new computer. Sound is motherboard based, no sound card.

Desktop.

graphic card that came with the computer when I bought it 8 years ago. I haven't kept a job long enough in that time to save up for a new computer. Sound is motherboard based, no sound card.
Okay, possibilities;
Bad/corrupt drivers.
The sound controller or jack on the mobo has gone bad.
The graphics card can't handle the newest Flash version or is starting to go bad. Luckily you can get very good graphics cards for around $60.

Checking/updating drivers in Windows 10, (Try this first).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028443/windows-10-update-drivers

Desktop.

Let us know your specs. Also https://www.hwinfo.com/

Desktop.

Let us know your specs. Also https://www.hwinfo.com/
Not sure I trust that site enough to download from them. Pretty page though.
I know I need to upgrade my graphics card. It's 8 years old. It'll have to wait until I find another job and save up enough to buy a car. Just lost my job. I'm a gimp can't walk. Don't have a dependable vehicle to get me to work. the cards are stacked against me.

Forum List

Back