• Yes, I will would vote for Ron Paul

Votes: 35 50.0%
  • No, I will not vote for Ron Paul

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • No, I will vote for the Marxist - Obama

Votes: 6 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Kooks....I am going to leave you to your little compound here, since I have a life outside the internetS.

I recommend once Ron Paul falls out of the race, you kooks move to where he comes from and form your own little nation. You can call it kookland.

Actually I only lived 4 years in the "south," while going to my undergrad university which is also a Public Ivy. You can try to figure that one out.

You do know what the Public Ivies are?

You have no idea who Rothbard was, do you? Von Mises, Hayek and Menger are all as foreign to you as a bar of soap is to a Frenchman, aren't they?

Actually I only lived 4 years in the "south," while going to my undergrad university which is also a Public Ivy. You can try to figure that one out.

You do know what the Public Ivies are?

You have no idea who Rothbard was, do you? Von Mises, Hayek and Menger are all as foreign to you as a bar of soap is to a Frenchman, aren't they?

Most people do not understand free market arguments as espoused by the Austrians. Instead, the Chicago school and neoliberalism dominates free market ideologies, in which the Austrians severely disagree with. Unfortunately, many people do not realize this.

It is also unfortunate that many people do not even understand the differences between Rothbard, Mises, and Hayek. Unfortunately, Hayek is looked as an outsider to some hardcore Austrians since he believed in empiricism over a priori truths. Both Rothbard and Mises believed heavily in a priori truth, but Rothbard agruments came from a natural right perspective while Mises came from an utilitarian perspective.

Anyways, it is sad that many people do not understand the Austrians. That explains my economics professor's joy of arriving at the steady state (re: Solow Growth Model) back in 2009. Now all he has to explain is the persistent unemployment which is incongruent to the steady state model.

Last edited:
Most people do not understand free market arguments as espoused by the Austrians. Instead, the Chicago school and neoliberalism dominates free market ideologies, in which the Austrians severely disagree with. Unfortunately, many people do not realize this.

When/if you say you have an MBA, I won't doubt you for a second.

Excellent post.

I have a M.A. in economics with additional years studying doctoral economics at a prominent environmental economics university. Unless, you study at George Mason or Loyola University, you will no be expose to Austrian economics. My knowledge is self-initiated, not learned in the classrooms.

In fact, I witnessed my economics professors claiming that we are saving too little, that too low of interest rates initiated by Fannie and Freddy do not cause moral hazard, and over two years ago I witnessed my macroeconomics professor jumping out of his seat and heralding that we are back at the steady rate when I took my concerns to him that our 6.2% economic growth rate was artificial.

it is truly disturbing to say the least.

Last edited:
I have an M.A. in economics with additional years studying doctoral economics.

It shows.

Unless, you study at George Mason or Loyola University, you will no be expose to Austrian economics. My knowledge is self-initiated, not learned in the classrooms.

Sadly, even Chicago is underrepresented in most business schools. Obviously Friedman is addressed, but the focus I was exposed to was still overwhelmingly Keynesian. My last macro prof thought that Krugman was god.

In fact, I witnessed my economics professors claiming that we are saving too little, that too low of interest rates initiated by Fannie and Freddy do not cause moral hazard, and over two years ago I witnessed my macroeconomics professor jumping out of his seat and heralding that we are back at the steady rate when I took my concerns to him that our 6.2% economic growth rate was artificial.

I wonder what most of them would say now, with the obvious flaws in "Obamanomics?"

Excellent post.

I have a M.A. in economics with additional years studying doctoral economics at a prominent environmental economics university. Unless, you study at George Mason or Loyola University, you will no be expose to Austrian economics. My knowledge is self-initiated, not learned in the classrooms.

So you would subscribe to the Milton Friedman/Walter Williams schools of economics? I had some college courses, but those two have educated me far better on the theories involved than anything I got in college.

When it comes to economics, Ron Paul is pretty close to that particular school of thought though I think he is lacking in some basic nuances that have to be considered.

Last edited:

Excellent post.

So you would subscribe to the Milton Friedman/Walter Williams schools of economics? I had some college courses, but those two have educated me far better on the theories involved than anything I got in college.

When it comes to economics, Ron Paul is pretty close to that particular school of thought though I think he is lacking in some basic nuances that have to be considered.

No, Friedman is a kook. He is responsible for neoliberalism and the Chicago School style of economics which the Austrians severely disagree with. For example, when have Austrians ever advised monetarism?

I like David Friedman (Milton's son) and his work on free market anarchy.

Sowell is ok.

Last edited:

No, Friedman is a kook. He is responsible for neoliberalism and the Chicago School style of economics which the Austrians severely disagree with. For example, when have Austrians ever advised monetarism?

Sowell is ok.

So now I am a bit perplexed as Friedman, Williams, and Sowell are all three monetarists as opposed to the Austrian school. George Mason University, which you mentioned, is the poster university for monetarism theories.

So now I am a bit perplexed as Friedman, Williams, and Sowell are all three monetarists as opposed to the Austrian school. George Mason University, which you mentioned, is the poster university for monetarism theories.

Friedman held that economics, even on the macro scale is empirical in nature, that it can be tested and predicted. Von Mises and Hayek held that the human factor makes such a view folly. Ultimately the market consists of people, who will do unpredictable things and therefor economics cannot be considered empirical.

Von Mises particularly promoted Praxeology, economics as a moral and philosophical pursuit rather than as a scientific pursuit.

Sowell is ok.

GMU is not an advocate of monetarism. Go read some of the publications from the Mercatus Center and Veronica de Rugy. Hardly monetarism at all.

Sowell is ok.

GMU is not an advocate of monetarism. Go read some of the publications from the Mercatus Center and Veronica de Rugy. Hardly monetarism at all.

GMU and the Mercatus Center is not an advocate of keynesianism but does not dismiss out of hand monetarism any more than it dismisses Austrian economics. Monetarism and Austrian economics share basic concepts of liberty, free market, and denouncement of inflation. The only way they seriously differ is in the Austrian belief that the economy cannot be forecast and that recession and adversity is necessary for market correction. Monetarism advances a theory that the central bank can take appropriate measures to control the rate of inflation and thereby provide more stablility in the economy.

I'm working from memory here, but I think you'll find Friedman, Williams, and Sowell embracing concepts from both while rejecting Keynesianism, but those three gentlemen were all monetarists. You do know that Williams is a Professor of Economics at GMU and at one time was department head? Of course there wil be debates and differences of opinion within any good university re various theories.

Last edited:
the only person I ever voted for is ron paul. when he retires I will probably never vote again. no other actual small government conservatives around

the only person I ever voted for is ron paul. when he retires I will probably never vote again. no other actual small government conservatives around

I like Paul too, I want to see him as the VP on the republican ticket this year. He just doesn't strike me as a president.

That being said, if its him running as the republican canidate vs obama he will get my vote.

Would you vote for Ron Paul?

Not if he runs on the Republican Ticket. If he were to run for the Conservative Party or the Libertarian Party and he had no shot at winning then I might.

As far as I am concerned, no Rep or Dem get my vote until the parties themselves start putting this country ahead of the party.

Immie

Forum List

Back