Will the Cash for Clunkers program hurt poor people?

bornright

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Texas
My thought is that the Cash for Clunker program may hurt poor people. It obviously takes a lot of vehicles off the road that might have been bought for a low price. The Clunkers that were in too poor of a condition could have supplied parts for other vehicles that could have been kept running. With the supply being lowered the price of these clunkers that are not to be crushed will have a higher price as there is less of them. Used parts that the poor need to keep their vehicles going will be higher.

My thought is that the Cash for Clunker program may hurt poor people. It obviously takes a lot of vehicles off the road that might have been bought for a low price. The Clunkers that were in too poor of a condition could have supplied parts for other vehicles that could have been kept running. With the supply being lowered the price of these clunkers that are not to be crushed will have a higher price as there is less of them. Used parts that the poor need to keep their vehicles going will be higher.
They don't get crushed, they get junked. The parts are available to be reused.

Try harder next time.

Try harder next time.

All I have to go by is what I saw on MSNBC and they said they had to be crushed so you may actually be correct as my source of that was not from the most reliable source.

Try harder next time.

Not

It’s not a pretty end for your dear old Ford Explorer, reportedly the most surrendered car under the “Cash for Clunkers” program (which is officially known as the Car Allowance Rebate System, or CARS).

After your new-car purchase, the dealer is obligated to drain your old car’s oil and replace it with a sodium silicate solution, also known as liquid glass. The silicate is causes the engine’s parts to freeze and ensures it never cruises the highway again. Then the dealer writes the cruel words, “junk vehicle, cars.gov” on the car’s title.

‘Cash for clunkers’: What happens to the old cars | csmonitor.com

Forum List

Back