'Widespread methane leakage' from ocean floor off US coast

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
_77141451_skarke.jpg

I read every word of this article. Nowhere could I find one word about this being Mankind's fault. How can that be?

Read story @ BBC News - Widespread methane leakage from ocean floor off US coast

Maybe not an ideal place to drill === but GO FOR IT !!!

And don't be so sure about blaming man. Some dull tool with a PhD will assert that the Deep Ocean Warming of 0.04deg is responsible..

For which humans are responsible.

Ever consider that the methane clathrates are sitting perched at phase transition points?

Wikipedia: methane clathrate
These deposits are located within a mid-depth zone around 300–500 m thick in the sediments (the gas hydrate stability zone, or GHSZ) where they coexist with methane dissolved in the fresh, not salt, pore-waters. Above this zone methane is only present in its dissolved form at concentrations that decrease towards the sediment surface. Below it, methane is gaseous. At Blake Ridge on the Atlantic continental rise, the GHSZ started at 190 m depth and continued to 450 m, where it reached equilibrium with the gaseous phase. Measurements indicated that methane occupied 0-9% by volume in the GHSZ, and ~12% in the gaseous zone.[11]

Ever see cumulus clouds with flat bottoms, all at the same height? When I was a kid, I assumed it was from some sort of thermocline. But it's not, of course. It's air pressure. If a puff of wind blows any of those clouds below that level, the water droplets instantly evaporate into water vapor and disappear.

The clathrate deposits on the boundaries of the stability zone would be in just precarious a position, phase-wise, as a bit of fog at the very bottom of one of those clouds.

Ever consider that the methane clathrates are sitting perched at phase transition points?

These deposits are located within a mid-depth zone around 300–500 m thick in the sediments (the gas hydrate stability zone, or GHSZ) where they coexist with methane dissolved in the fresh, not salt, pore-waters. Above this zone methane is only present in its dissolved form at concentrations that decrease towards the sediment surface. Below it, methane is gaseous. At Blake Ridge on the Atlantic continental rise, the GHSZ started at 190 m depth and continued to 450 m, where it reached equilibrium with the gaseous phase. Measurements indicated that methane occupied 0-9% by volume in the GHSZ, and ~12% in the gaseous zone.[11]

Ever see cumulus clouds with flat bottoms, all at the same height? When I was a kid, I assumed it was from some sort of thermocline. But it's not, of course. It's air pressure. If a puff of wind blows any of those clouds below that level, the water droplets instantly evaporate into water vapor and disappear.

The clathrate deposits on the boundaries of the stability zone would be in just precarious a position, phase-wise, as a bit of fog at the very bottom of one of those clouds.

^ AGWCult

You know you're insane, right?

Frank, do you have anything meaningful to say? I was expecting it be suggested that the seeps had been venting for a great long while and that such "natural" sources were a larger source of methane and other GHGs than is man or at least than men (and women think they are).

Isn't that what you wanted to say Frank

Oh yes.. The "precarious position of MethaneCalthrates".. Should be an armband for that.. Not enough volume of this "precarious" commodity in any single single strata to really compare to the SOURCE of the calthrates which is the natural leakage of methane that occurs fairly INDEPENDENT of temperature effects all the freaking time. That natural leakage -- if it is more prevalent than previously thought per the OP -- gives lie to the "carbon fingerprinting" of CO2 in the atmos. Since breakdown of the methane into CO2 in the ocean produces a C14/C13 signature indistinguishable from the decomposing petroleum from whence it came.

Actually a lot of BAD news for all of the "back of the envelope" Guesses that Catastrophic Global Warming is based on..

Methane clathrates do form from natural methane leaks but those leaks are not the result of decomposing petroleum. They do not "give the lie" to C14/C13 signatures but indicate the source of the methane.

None of that is relevant as I said nothing about any relationship between methane clathrates and petroleum. What I said was that clathrates exist solely in the Gas Hydrate Stability Zone (GHSZ) a range of depths at which they are stable. At the upper and lower boundaries of the GSZ, of course, they are perched at their phase transition points. A shift in water depth, temperature or chemistry would move those boundaries causing gas to come out of their clathrate matrices and either dissolve or subllimate, depending which boundary. And since observations show all this methane dissolving before it reaches the surface, the primary initial effect will simply be local acidification. Eventually, however, it will increase the amount of CO2 coming out of solution into the atmosphere and the world and is ocean continue to warm.

Last edited:
Methane clathrates do form from natural methane leaks but those leaks are not the result of decomposing petroleum. They do not "give the lie" to C14/C13 signatures but indicate the source of the methane.

None of that is relevant as I said nothing about any relationship between methane clathrates and petroleum. What I said was that clathrates exist solely in the Gas Hydrate Stability Zone (GHSZ) a range of depths at which they are stable. At the upper and lower boundaries of the GSZ, of course, they are perched at their phase transition points. A shift in water depth, temperature or chemistry would move those boundaries causing gas to come out of their clathrate matrices and either dissolve or subllimate, depending which boundary. And since observations show all this methane dissolving before it reaches the surface, the primary initial effect will simply be local acidification. Eventually, however, it will increase the amount of CO2 coming out of solution into the atmosphere and the world and is ocean continue to warm.

I'm wasting time with a troll who doesn't understand the topic and just wants to win and sound officious. THE FORMATION of calthrates IS from LARGER volumes of methane oozing from hydrocarbon reserves. VERY LITTLE of that large volume EVER exists in calthrate form.. And since it's ORIGIN is indistinguishable from OLD carbon reserves, C14/13 ratios won't fingerprint as "natural" CO2 once it decomposes on it's way to the surface..

I'm pretty much done with you.. If you have a smarter older Warmer in your family -- please sign them in...

If you have someone in your family who can READ, sign THEM up.

I have never suggested - I don't think ANYONE here has ever suggested - that these methane sources were anthropogenic. Their isotopic ratios are irrelevant. I agree that the source of the clathrates is larger methane deposits. I never said otherwise. I DISAGREE that the methane is coming from PETROLEUM deposits as you suggested (though the two are often found in close proximity. My contention is that the clathrates are 'coming apart' - emitting gaseous methane into the water due to changes in temperature, depth or chemisty and that the primary cause of those changes is AGW and/or increased atmospheric CO2 levels.

Frank, do you have anything meaningful to say? I was expecting it be suggested that the seeps had been venting for a great long while and that such "natural" sources were a larger source of methane and other GHGs than is man or at least than men (and women think they are).

You have to be totally nuts to blame ocean floor venting on "Manmade Global CoooleringWarmer Disruption"

Do you read your own posts?

You said human were responsible

Do you read your own posts?

You said human were responsible

I said human activity: global warming and ocean acidification may well be responsible for the increased release of methane from methane clathrates at the edges of the GHSZ. I never said human activity was responsible for the existence of methane clathrates.

^ AGWCult
^ part of denier hive mind :tinfoil: @CrusaderFrank

A quote, not taken out of context by poster Frank

Some dull tool with a PhD will assert that the Deep Ocean Warming of 0.04deg is responsible..

The clathrate deposits on the boundaries of the stability zone would be in just as precarious a position, phase-wise, as a bit of fog at the very bottom of one of those clouds.

^ AGWCult

^ part of denier hive mind :tinfoil:
@CrusaderFrank

None of this is of any importance. If it were Our Kenyan President would be standing on the shore commanding that the leakage halt immediately. Why He hasn't even painted a red line along one single beach!

So.........it's nothing serious.

Forum List

Back