CDZ Why?

oldsoul

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2015
Standing with Covington Kids
Seems like a pretty basic and simple question, right? So, when did we, as a society, stop asking such a basic question? Think this isn't a problem? Answer this: "when was the last time you asked "why" when considering your position on a given topic?"
More to the point, why did we stop asking why? I suddenly have an tongue-in-check answer... When Bud Dry pulled the ad campaign, "Why ask why? Drink Bud Dry." I know that's not the real answer, but thought is was funny, so I had to add it.
But, seriously, when and why did we stoop asking ourselves and each other "Why?"

Seems like a pretty basic and simple question, right? So, when did we, as a society, stop asking such a basic question? Think this isn't a problem? Answer this: "when was the last time you asked "why" when considering your position on a given topic?"
More to the point, why did we stop asking why? I suddenly have an tongue-in-check answer... When Bud Dry pulled the ad campaign, "Why ask why? Drink Bud Dry." I know that's not the real answer, but thought is was funny, so I had to add it.
But, seriously, when and why did we stoop asking ourselves and each other "Why?"
When people started following the Establishment. They don't want us to think.

most people don;t have the trait of 'vision'.

Looney lefties are the most deficient in it.

The question "why" begs rationalization. Where, when, and how are much more useful.

The question "why" begs rationalization. Where, when, and how are much more useful.
Rationalization, that's what I'm getting at. Where did I decide to be on one side of an issue, When did I decide this, How did I decide this? Really these are the things you think are more useful? How is why did I decide this less useful? The question of why, forces you to reconsider your position, and possibly change it due to new facts, conditions, or experience. I believe this is far more useful than the where, when, and how of it.

Indeed, but I don't think it's so funny ---- why would you drink Bud Dry? For that matter why would you drink that footwash at all?

Rationalization, that's what I'm getting at. Where did I decide to be on one side of an issue, When did I decide this, How did I decide this? Really these are the things you think are more useful? How is why did I decide this less useful? The question of why, forces you to reconsider your position, and possibly change it due to new facts, conditions, or experience. I believe this is far more useful than the where, when, and how of it.

I like to hang this quote on posters here a lot, whoever really came up with it is unclear but its truth is not:

"When the known facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?"​

As pointed out, "why" invites rationalization and excuse making, as it's both open-ended and left to the subjective judgement of the person being asked. They could outright lie to you and themselves about it.

The other questioning words set forth times, places, and the strategies or philosophies for drawing the conclusion.

As pointed out, "why" invites rationalization and excuse making, as it's both open-ended and left to the subjective judgement of the person being asked. They could outright lie to you and themselves about it.

The other questioning words set forth times, places, and the strategies or philosophies for drawing the conclusion.
All of which could be lied about as well. What is your point?

I ask why all the time. For instance in the gun control debate; I ask "why" does the violence, gun or not, happen so often?

Gun control advocates don't care why, they only care about the "how".

Until we start focusing on the "why" and stop wasting time on "how",people will continue to die.

Good thread.

Where when and how are barely useful statistics. "Why" can actually solve problems or get to the root of the problem.

I ask why all the time. For instance in the gun control debate; I ask "why" does the violence, gun or not, happen so often?

Until we start focusing on the "why" and stop wasting time on "how",people will continue to die.

Good thread.
Thank you, and just to be clear, I know many people do ask themselves and others "why". What this thread is intended to discuss is society as a whole not asking "why". Just in case there was any confusion...

You guys are arguing about two different "whys". Or at least two different usages.

Where when and how are barely useful statistics. "Why" can actually solve problems or get to the root of the problem.
Exactly. Until one discovers, atmits, and understands "why" one has no hope of solving the "problem". And that would include "why is this a problem?"

Good thread.
Thank you, and just to be clear, I know many people do ask themselves and others "why". What this thread is intended to discuss is society as a whole not asking "why". Just in case there was any confusion...

Well you got your answer early then. Modern Society doesn't want to ask that question any more. They just want to be told the answer, and they don't even care if it's the truth or not.

You guys are arguing about two different "whys". Or at least two different usages.
Oh, now that you say that, you seem to be correct.

What, When, How, Where, ......do not prove a motive. The question of "why" is what reveals - uncovers - proves ---> motive. Motive is the evidence lawyers must have in a court room. Without it, it's merely speculation...... imo.

Good thread.

Well you got your answer early then. Modern Society doesn't want to ask that question any more. They just want to be told the answer, and they don't even care if it's the truth or not.
Again, though, why is that? I really don't understand why people just don't want to know anymore. Is it because they simply do not care? Or maybe they are afraid of the answer? I just don't know. I do believe that it started, for me at least, in public schools, and my mother. Neither wanted me to ask "why?", they just wanted me to, "sit down, shut-up, and accept what we are saying." Isn't the question of "why" the very basis of all learning and understanding? If we cannot, or will not, ask "why" how the heck are we ever going to achieve "progress"? Something "progressives"/liberals claim they want, yet they seem to be the most resistant to asking and answering "why" (in my experience).

All of which could be lied about as well. What is your point?
Not at all.

How did you go about drawing that conclusion?
Where did you hear that?
Who told you that?
When did you make that decision?
What information did you see to believe that?

All of those questions lead to more or less concrete points in time or sources. "Why" lacks the specificity that leads people to just make shit up.

Forum List

Back