why you should garden

I still have 45 of the 90 quarts of tomatoes I jarred last fall. I can't wait for spring. The garlic is already in since October. Basil is growing in the upstairs sun room.

I'm about to start my seedlings. I've got twelve 4'x8' boxes and six 8' long trellised boxes, and I will add more boxes this spring. Also several fruit trees.

I had the amazing experience last summer of having a bunch of young grammar school aged children come with their teachers and pick veggies in my garden to take back to the day care, to watch the cook incorporate into their meals. They were so smart! They asked the best questions and when I asked the questions, they gave me such wonderful answers! I love that I get to participate in teaching children where real food comes from! Looking forward to doing it again this year.

I make these. They are my own and nobody else has them because they are my own hybrids I created

20220719_123000.jpg
30146220061617004 (3)_snapshot_00.00.000.jpg
20210708_092336 (1).jpg

Cayennes are about an inch and a half tall; just started a bunch of yellow tomatoes but haven't come up yet. I have several things I intend to start. I just need to drag out the grow lights.

joel salatin is one of the leaders in the regenerative farming using old technics scorned by the government and industrial ag..

once you get into it its really a fun of fun with nothing but positive results,,

I agree, gardening is a beautiful thing unfortunately where I live is full of grass ticks or grass bugs invisible to the eye.....and I am totally allergic to them.....:confused:

I thought of spraying the grass but that could kill wildlife too....so... I have resigned myself :dunno:

I agree, gardening is a beautiful thing unfortunately where I live is full of grass ticks or grass bugs invisible to the eye.....and I am totally allergic to them.....:confused:

I thought of spraying the grass but that could kill wildlife too....so... I have resigned myself :dunno:
you might try occultation,, thats when you use a silage tarp to keep the weeds down and it helps reduce insect impact,, it goes along with the no till method,,

once we started using that we will never go back to tilling,,

my tiller is overgrown down in the weeds,, almost cant see it anymore,,

remember to broadfork every two yrs,,

you might try occultation,, thats when you use a silage tarp to keep the weeds down and it helps reduce insect impact,, it goes along with the no till method,,

once we started using that we will never go back to tilling,,

my tiller is overgrown down in the weeds,, almost cant see it anymore,,

remember to broadfork every two yrs,,

I am so new to gardening. Can you recommend a good book for a beginner? TIA.

I am so new to gardening. Can you recommend a good book for a beginner? TIA.

to many good ones,,,

jean martin fortier,, one of his videos is above and has his books in the descriptions,, hes a leader in the small farming community after dowding and those older guys,,

curtis stone has a good one along with richard perkins,,

these guys are a cross between small scale farming and gardening,,
jess at roots and refuge has a few good books that are closer to gardening,,
her video s the first one on this thread,,

I have a problem going from written word to actual working so the videos work great for me,,

progressive hunter, I'm losing my mind trying to find out more about my chances of saving seed from this thing and planting again next year. I can find NO information.

I bought three seedlings called "Italian Melon Cucumber" and I am stunned by these crazy cucumbers! I am beginning to understand the concept of open pollination vs hybrid and why one will not produce good fruit if planted from saved seed in successive years, but nobody is coughing up this info for this beauty.

DSCF6369.JPG

to many good ones,,,

jean martin fortier,, one of his videos is above and has his books in the descriptions,, hes a leader in the small farming community after dowding and those older guys,,

curtis stone has a good one along with richard perkins,,

these guys are a cross between small scale farming and gardening,,
jess at roots and refuge has a few good books that are closer to gardening,,
her video s the first one on this thread,,

I have a problem going from written word to actual working so the videos work great for me,,

Thank you! I am the same -- video always works better for me.

Forum List

Back