why you should garden

progressive hunter, I'm losing my mind trying to find out more about my chances of saving seed from this thing and planting again next year. I can find NO information.

I bought three seedlings called "Italian Melon Cucumber" and I am stunned by these crazy cucumbers! I am beginning to understand the concept of open pollination vs hybrid and why one will not produce good fruit if planted from saved seed in successive years, but nobody is coughing up this info for this beauty.

View attachment 814235
unless you have some other kind of similar plant close by during pollination you should only have to dry out the seeds and replant next yr,,

I have heard some say a few dozen ft and other say 100 or more,,

you may still be ok if it were closer,, or might not even notice the difference,,

it can be a shot in the dark,, not like it costs any money though,, it still comes out as food,,

unless you have some other kind of similar plant close by during pollination you should only have to dry out the seeds and replant next yr,,

I have heard some say a few dozen ft and other say 100 or more,,

you may still be ok if it were closer,, or might not even notice the difference,,

it can be a shot in the dark,, not like it costs any money though,, it still comes out as food,,

Okay, thanks.

I have it planted pretty close to another variety -- lemon cucumber. Your point is good, that it will still come out as food. Now I will be going crazy trying to find seed or more of these seedlings. It's just such a gorgeous and tasty variety!

A thought -- I have jack-o-lantern pumpkin planted close to winter squash. Do you think the flavor of the squash will be tainted if I try planting from saved seed? I don't want to, but I think I'm going to have to expand my garden and put the pumpkins outside of the fence!

There's so much to know!

Thinking hard about how to get the most out of my property. I've got just a hair over a quarter of an acre and most of the fenced in back yard is raised boxes. I'm thinking of a pumpkin patch in the front yard. Loads of possibilities.

I sure do wish that more people in my small rural town would get into growing gardens. We're in the Midwest and I'm shocked at how few people grow gardens. I remember growing up here and EVERYONE had a garden.

Thinking hard about how to get the most out of my property. I've got just a hair over a quarter of an acre and most of the fenced in back yard is raised boxes. I'm thinking of a pumpkin patch in the front yard. Loads of possibilities.

I sure do wish that more people in my small rural town would get into growing gardens. We're in the Midwest and I'm shocked at how few people grow gardens. I remember growing up here and EVERYONE had a garden.

I would first create a menu or list of most eaten things and work from there,, the raised beds are a great way to contain and make it easy to work if your old or lazy,, look up some of the square foot gardening methods

as for others having gardens,, well its just a normal progression in a developing country where things are so easy to come by,,,

that may come back to bite them in the ass,,

progressive hunter, I'm losing my mind trying to find out more about my chances of saving seed from this thing and planting again next year. I can find NO information.

I bought three seedlings called "Italian Melon Cucumber" and I am stunned by these crazy cucumbers! I am beginning to understand the concept of open pollination vs hybrid and why one will not produce good fruit if planted from saved seed in successive years, but nobody is coughing up this info for this beauty.

View attachment 814235
We save seeds and hey worked out so far. But if more than a few years old they may not germinate.
Helps to have lots of local pollinating insects, especially domestic honeybees.

We save seeds and hey worked out so far. But if more than a few years old they may not germinate.
Helps to have lots of local pollinating insects, especially domestic honeybees.

Well, I decided not to save this seed because I'm sure it's cross pollinated -- I have another variety of cucumber planted pretty close.

I've thought really hard about how to plant so that I can save genetically pure seeds. If it means I can only plant one variety of a vegetable at a time, I'll survive that. Also, choosing things that most people don't plant -- my neighbor's garden is just on the other side of a chain link fence, so I guess I need to concentrate of veggies that she doesn't like to grow, or coordinate our planting so that we're growing the same variety and don't have to worry about cross pollinating.

For instance, my neighbors don't care to grow winter squash, so it's safe to grow that without fear of cross pollination.

Happily, we have a million pollinators. I had a neighbor over today to load her up with some critter food, and she thinks my garden is perfect for a beehive!

I've had a variety of winter squash that I saved seed from that was still giving me 100% germination four years later! It dropped down to about 40% last year, but I got good squash and saved seed. It's a wonderful variety called Blue Hubbard -- great for pies and it stores forever!

I agree, gardening is a beautiful thing unfortunately where I live is full of grass ticks or grass bugs invisible to the eye.....and I am totally allergic to them.....:confused:

I thought of spraying the grass but that could kill wildlife too....so... I have resigned myself :dunno:

Sulfur works on Chigers aka red bugs. I rub it on my ankles to mid-calf, or sprinkle it around where I'm standing.

Argh! I am itching to garden!

Today is the usual last frost day in Western Washington, from which I moved to the Midwest over two years ago.

Let the dog out this morning and there was the stiffest frost! And folks are swearing that we could still get another snow.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................. Guess I'll go start some seedlings.

Forum List

Back