Why Warming Oceans Could Mean Dwindling Fish

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
By Bryan Walsh, May 16, 201312

It’s easy to forget that global warming doesn’t just refer to the rising temperature of the air. Climate change is having an enormous, if less understood, impact on the oceans, which already absorb far more carbon dioxide than the atmosphere. Like so much of what goes on in the vast depths that cover more than two-thirds of our planet’s surface, the effect of climate change on the oceans remains a black box, albeit one that scientists are working to illuminate.

Read more: Climate Change: Why Warming Oceans Could Mean Dwindling Fish | TIME.com

See! I don't always just anti-Globull Warming topics.

Or they could mean more fish...like you said...black box. Interesting that you choose the gloom and doom cup half empty senario....based on what? Were the oceans nearly devoid of life during geological times when the earth was much warmer than the present?....To the best of my knowledge, the paleo record shows oceans literally blooming with life during warm periods.

Life in the oceans or on land has not fared well when there was rapid change. Whether the change was toward the cold or toward the hot.

Or they could mean more fish...like you said...black box. Interesting that you choose the gloom and doom cup half empty senario....based on what? Were the oceans nearly devoid of life during geological times when the earth was much warmer than the present?....To the best of my knowledge, the paleo record shows oceans literally blooming with life during warm periods.

So your position is that species of fish which have been extinct for 5,000 years will now spring back to life?

Interesting.

I think a more logical assumption is that any significant change in temperature or pH will mean many hundreds of species become extnict. Others may increase their numbers, of course, but that may also take rather a long time as they may need to 'migrate' to find areas which suit their comfort range.

It's also worth remembering that industrial fishing was not a major factor during the last ice age - any scenario in which fish are threatened with extinction is also going to be made worse by the needs of fishermen to catch what there is.

Life in the oceans or on land has not fared well when there was rapid change. Whether the change was toward the cold or toward the hot.

The temperature has risen a full 8 degrees over the past 10,000 years yet sea life abounds.

Fact

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Commercial fishing is far more dangerous and destructive than all the CO2 that spews out of some Hawaiian volcano

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

There is no rapid change. Less than a degree in 100 years and som real questions about how much of that is real and how much is bias due to poorly situated stations.

There has been much more rapid change in the not so distant past without the doom you and your fello wackos predict.

The evidence at present, especially around the coral reefs is that there is a loss of ocean life with this warming.

No, there is evidence of runoff, pollution, recreational divers, and commercials fishing damaging corals. There isn't the first bit of hard evidence that the fraction of a degree in the past 100 years has had any effect whatsoever. In fact, actual research, as opposed to computer models shows that corals and other marine life do just fine in warmer temps.

So your position is that species of fish which have been extinct for 5,000 years will now spring back to life?

You really can't read if you got that out of anything I said.

I think a more logical assumption is that any significant change in temperature or pH will mean many hundreds of species become extnict.

Really? Based on what? The recent past has been warmer without ecological disaster and the paleo record shows exactly the opposite of your claims.

The evidence at present, especially around the coral reefs is that there is a loss of ocean life with this warming.

No, there is evidence of runoff, pollution, recreational divers, and commercials fishing damaging corals. There isn't the first bit of hard evidence that the fraction of a degree in the past 100 years has had any effect whatsoever. In fact, actual research, as opposed to computer models shows that corals and other marine life do just fine in warmer temps.

Old Rocks is absolutely right, as I m sure you know.

Definitely runoff maybe a factor in the Baltic or around the GBR, but around areas as remote as the Cook Islands agricultural runoff is obviously not a direct cause.

It is also worth keeping in mind that agricultural runoff has decreased markedly in the past decade - just as coral bleaching began.

You really can't read if you got that out of anything I said.

I think a more logical assumption is that any significant change in temperature or pH will mean many hundreds of species become extnict.

Really? Based on what? The recent past has been warmer without ecological disaster and the paleo record shows exactly the opposite of your claims.

You said there were more species when it was much warmer in the past, and suggested that if it was much warmer in future, there would thus be more fish.

This is not logical, because as waters cooled, many warmer water fish became extinct.

Species around coral reefs are already greatly endangered by bleaching - and research has proved this.

RAPID change is the problem.

It does not matter what life was like when the oceans were warmer, becasuse the life in the oceans then had time to adjust.

Seriously this concept ought not to confuse anybody.

One has to be purposefully in complete denial not to be able to understand the concept.

Very RAPID changes in any environment have negative impacts on the biospheres effected.

Last edited:
Good thing there is no rapid change. A fraction of a degree in 100 years....and a large portion of that in serious question due to bias input due to poor temperature station location. That hardly constitutes rapid change. The paleo record shows periods of far greater change without the disasterous results warmists fear so much.

It does not matter what life was like when the oceans were warmer, becasuse the life in the oceans then had time to adjust.

One has to be purposefully in complete denial not to be able to understand the concept.

Very RAPID changes in any environment have negative impacts on the biospheres effected.

8 degrees in a few thousand years is not RAPID?

You said there were more species when it was much warmer in the past, and suggested that if it was much warmer in future, there would thus be more fish.

No, you said that I claimed that extinct speices would come back. What makes you such a liar?

Species around coral reefs are already greatly endangered by bleaching - and research has proved this.

OK...lets see the hard, observed, measurable proof that anthropogenic CO2 is responsible for bleaching.

What we do know about bleaching is that it occurs mostly in areas of localized warming during times of very low wind...we further know that no one even took notice of bleaching prior to about 1979 so there is no reliable data prior to that time so the suggestion that no bleaching happened prior to 1979 is simply stupid. We also know that there is no actual evidence that bleaching is due to anthropogenic CO2.

Not All Coral Bleaching Is Bad
The Bleaching of Mentawai Island Corals During the 1997-98 El Niño

8 degrees in a few thousand years is not RAPID?

And that isn't even the fastest or largest temperature change in the past 15,000 years or so.

SSDD -

I do understand that whenever you are embarassed you will start throwing names and accusations around, of course.

I am sure you also understand that if you are going to recreate the diviersity of ocean life you tell us existed X thousand years ago, you will have to recreate species that have been dead forX thousand years, because they are the species best suited to warmer water.

SSDD -

I do understand that whenever you are embarassed you will start throwing names and accusations around, of course.

I am sure you also understand that if you are going to recreate the diviersity of ocean life you tell us existed X thousand years ago, you will have to recreate species that have been dead forX thousand years, because they are the species best suited to warmer water.

He never said that.

Good thing there is no rapid change. A fraction of a degree in 100 years....and a large portion of that in serious question due to bias input due to poor temperature station location. That hardly constitutes rapid change. The paleo record shows periods of far greater change without the disasterous results warmists fear so much.

No rapid change. Apparently you haven't a clue as to what constitutes a rapid change. When we should be in a slow cooling, we are in a rapid warming. The area of the summer ice in the Arctic has shrank by almost half in the last thirty years. Most of that in the last decade.

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/seaice.area.arctic.png

Forum List

Back