Why Tipping Should Be Obsolete

A $200 meal requires considerably more knowledge and expertise on the part of the server, who is often expected to make dinner and wine recommendations, and actually know what they're talking about. Servers in a fine dining restaurant need to know quite a bit about food and wine in order to do their jobs.

A server at applebee's doesn't.
Really? It takes a seasoned pro to to suggest something on a plate without knowing a fucking thing about the person they are suggesting it to? How does that work? Wine recommendations? LOL, Yeah get the $50 bottle of red wine with the steak sir. I'm all for people going out and passing around cash like they were gangsters if it rocks their boat but let's not pretend it's more than it is. They are selling atmosphere like the fine artist sells smudges on canvas only the elites can grasp.

A $200 meal requires considerably more knowledge and expertise on the part of the server, who is often expected to make dinner and wine recommendations, and actually know what they're talking about. Servers in a fine dining restaurant need to know quite a bit about food and wine in order to do their jobs.

A server at applebee's doesn't.
Really? It takes a seasoned pro to to suggest something on a plate without knowing a fucking thing about the person they are suggesting it to? How does that work? Wine recommendations? LOL, Yeah get the $50 bottle of red wine with the steak sir. I'm all for people going out and passing around cash like they were gangsters if it rocks their boat but let's not pretend it's more than it is. They are selling atmosphere like the fine artist sells smudges on canvas only the elites can grasp.

Yes, it does. Have you ever been to a high-end restaurant?

What I do for a living, requires a hell of a lot of knowledge, arcane as it is. I don't get gratuities unless you count a Christmas fruitcake or popcorn sent out communally to the business I work for. I pay Darlene extra for doing my hair, not because tipping is required, but because I like her and she should get paid a hell of a lot more than her employers pay. That should be the issue here. People in the service industry deserve to get paid a healthy wage, not rely on the good will from stranger like a pathetic beggar

It's not goodwill from a stranger, it's a bonus for a job well done, no different than a bonus in other fields.
I still can't get my mind around giving $ to people that have a job already for serving us to begin with. But, if any of you want to, you can tip me. Give me your credit card number, I will take a small percentage just for posting this dumb message.

Last edited:
I have yet to see you do anything but whine about sour grapes and post racist b.s.

I don't tip for stupidity.

You think of Applebee's as fine dining, don't you?

What I do for a living, requires a hell of a lot of knowledge, arcane as it is. I don't get gratuities unless you count a Christmas fruitcake or popcorn sent out communally to the business I work for. I pay Darlene extra for doing my hair, not because tipping is required, but because I like her and she should get paid a hell of a lot more than her employers pay. That should be the issue here. People in the service industry deserve to get paid a healthy wage, not rely on the good will from stranger like a pathetic beggar

It's not goodwill from a stranger, it's a bonus for a job well done, no different than a bonus in other fields.
I still can't get my mind around giving $ to people that have a job already for serving us to begin with. But, if any of you want to, you can tip me. Give me your credit card number, I will take a small percentage just for posting this dumb message.

Because they make LESS than minimum wage. They rely on tips for a lot of their income. This encourages good service.

Because they make LESS than minimum wage. They rely on tips for a lot of their income. This encourages good service.
No, this protects owners and screws workers.

A bonus on a $2.75 / hr job as someone remarked?
Servers, even at a bottom rung chain like Applebee's typically make well above minimum wage on an hourly basis. That suggests that the system is working.

I have yet to see you do anything but whine about sour grapes and post racist b.s.

I don't tip for stupidity.
I am touched, you read my post(s). I am getting weepy here. But, there Is a topic here. Tipping, as apposed to actually paying people a fair wage, is there something wrong with that concept?

No, this protects owners and screws workers.
The owners would merely raise prices on dining. The customer would pay either way. Workers who are earning well above minimum age aren't being screwed. Tipping is merit-based pay at its most basic. You get what you earn. Work your ass off, make good money. Provide minimal or crappy service, and you see a direct effect on your paycheck.

I am touched, you read my post(s). I am getting weepy here. But, there Is a topic here. Tipping, as apposed to actually paying people a fair wage, is there something wrong with that concept?

Most servers make well above minimum wage. Why do you want to take money out of their pockets and penalize them for personal work ethic?

We a

Most servers make well above minimum wage. Why do you want to take money out of their pockets and penalize them for personal work ethic?
I have been kidding up till that last post. I think we are on the same page here. People that work hard and do a good job, deserve a reward, but that should be from their employers, period. The gratuities thing needs to end. When I do a good job, nobody cares. And really, it's between me and my employer. Not you or anyone else. That is how it should be over all. In my humble opinion.

If you are a server in your restaurant, the people you are actually working for are the customers. And, I know that I prefer to reward my servers directly, rather than trusting that an employer will make sure they get an equitable cut.

We a

I have been kidding up till that last post. I think we are on the same page here. People that work hard and do a good job, deserve a reward, but that should be from their employers, period. The gratuities thing needs to end. When I do a good job, nobody cares. And really, it's between me and my employer. Not you or anyone else. That is how it should be over all. In my humble opinion.
Same here.

Include the tip in the food price.

If you are a server in your restaurant, the people you are actually working for are the customers. And, I know that I prefer to reward my servers directly, rather than trusting that an employer will make sure they get an equitable cut.
Boom. You got me. I worked a job as a sales person, I was terrible. I had to lie through my bloody teeth to good people that trusted me to be honest, and I couldn't do it. Sales jobs, they really truly suck the cosmic wangerdoodle. But those folks that wait on my table, or even the chefs that cook my food, I don't trust them either. And I sure as heck don't want to tip them. Their employers should pay them a fair wage, end of story.

I prefer the current system, because I can reward people directly, in cash, who take care of me.

I feel you, though, I worked in sales right after college. It did indeed suck ass.

I prefer the current system, because I can reward people directly, in cash, who take care of me.

I feel you, though, I worked in sales right after college. It did indeed suck ass.
I want to eat my meal in peace, assured the waitperson is being compensated, and free to tip or not tip as it grabs me.

But then lots/some places pool tips and divide them up which makes a mockery of rewarding work ethic.

Forum List

Back