Why Tipping Should Be Obsolete

I prefer the current system, because I can reward people directly, in cash, who take care of me.

I feel you, though, I worked in sales right after college. It did indeed suck ass.
I want to eat my meal in peace, assured the waitperson is being compensated, and free to tip or not tip as it grabs me.
Well, you can do that any evening at Taco Bell.

I will defend the tip system. During my long life I worked a lot of different jobs, including those of a busboy and waiter. As a waiter, I made good money for the hours I worked. Not every job justifies the same pay for everyone. Employers use different methods to encourage productivity. Many people, such as salesmen, are paid by commission because that is the best way to maximize sales . Even employers in union shops, including the steel industry, use piece-rates in certain jobs. Unfortunately, there are far too many people who try to get by doing as little as possible and employers must find a way to get them motivated. This applies to food servers.

A good waitress knows that her pay is determined by how many people she serves, how much food they buy and how happy her customers are. The same things that benefit her also benefit her employer which makes this compensation system work so well.

There are restaurants who simply add a gratuity to the bill, but this is also a motivator much the same as a voluntary tip since the more a waitress sells the more money she makes in tips. Further, every waitperson knows that even when the gratuity is included in the bill, excellent service is often rewarded with additional tips. Tips are a great motivator which is why I defend them.

There is one thing I must clarify. Apparently some contributors to this thread believe that waitpersons are not guaranteed minimum wage by the employer and can end up earning as little as $2.13 an hour. This is not true. This is from an article I posted on this site some time ago:

Question: Is it legal for waiters and waitresses to be paid below the minimum wage?

Answer: According to the Fair Labor Standards Act, tipped employees are individuals engaged in occupations in which they customarily and regularly receive more than $30 a month in tips. The employer may consider tips as part of wages, but the employer must pay at least $2.13 an hour in direct wages.

An employer may credit a portion of a tipped employee's tips against the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour effective July 24, 2009. An employer must pay at least $2.13 per hour. However, if an employee's tips combined with the employer's wage of $2.13 per hour do not equal the hourly minimum wage, the employer is required to make up the difference.

The employer who elects to use the tip credit provision must inform the employee in advance and must be able to show that the employee receives at least the applicable minimum wage (see above) when direct wages and the tip credit allowance are combined. If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference. Also, employees must retain all of their tips, except to the extent that they participate in a valid tip pooling or sharing arrangement.

The above information can be found at the following link:

http://www.dol.gov/wb/faq26.htm

Conclusion: Employees must pay each tipped employee $2.13/hour. This is so even if the employee makes $100/hour in tips. However, if the employee's tips plus the $2.13 is less than the minimum wage the employer must make up the difference. In the end, each employee gets at least the Federal minimum wage. Of course some states have a minimum wage which is higher than what the Federal law requires.

A $200 meal requires considerably more knowledge and expertise on the part of the server, who is often expected to make dinner and wine recommendations, and actually know what they're talking about. Servers in a fine dining restaurant need to know quite a bit about food and wine in order to do their jobs.

A server at applebee's doesn't.
Really? It takes a seasoned pro to to suggest something on a plate without knowing a fucking thing about the person they are suggesting it to? How does that work? Wine recommendations? LOL, Yeah get the $50 bottle of red wine with the steak sir. I'm all for people going out and passing around cash like they were gangsters if it rocks their boat but let's not pretend it's more than it is. They are selling atmosphere like the fine artist sells smudges on canvas only the elites can grasp.
Yes, it does. Have you ever been to a high-end restaurant?
Yes what is? A server that you met 1 second ago knows your tastes better than you do? No chance they are selling the most profitable commodity?

Really? It takes a seasoned pro to to suggest something on a plate without knowing a fucking thing about the person they are suggesting it to? How does that work? Wine recommendations? LOL, Yeah get the $50 bottle of red wine with the steak sir. I'm all for people going out and passing around cash like they were gangsters if it rocks their boat but let's not pretend it's more than it is. They are selling atmosphere like the fine artist sells smudges on canvas only the elites can grasp.
You think of Applebee's as fine dining, don't you?
Their foods sucks and why are you an asshole?

Or they are more accustomed to not starving waiting for a simple fucking meal. How hard can it be to cook something? It isn't rocket science.
There's a difference between cooking and thawing.
I cook almost everyday. One of the reasons I don't eat out much is the different philosophy in cooking. I cook for health, restaurants cook for pleasure. Their meals are typically over cooked, over flavored/seasoned, too rich, etc. It's fine to do on occasion but if you dine out regularly you'll die early.

I remember when I was 18 I use to think 1 plate = $1 and would count the work. Because I worked for all of my Dollars.

Watching documentaries on the richest Americans and noting that they don't tip at all is just old news.
That's why in the expensive restaurants there is a gratuity added to the bill...
This is what I don't agree with. Because the waitress/waiters will get their tips no matter what in a place like that, they won't see a reason to be polite and respectful to whoever it is that they are waiting on. To me, things should not be automatically handed out. They should be worked for or they will not be appreciated the way that they should be.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

So, a waitress serving a $200 meal in a fancy restaurant deserves ten times what a waitress serving a $20 meal in a regular place gets?

Have you waited tables before?
Only in a pizza joint in high school.

I cracked a drunk guy over the head with a tray the first night, and got to work in the kitchen after that.

The waitress serving the $200 meal has to have an extensive amount of training and knowledge about what is being served as opposed to the person serving at the $20 joint. My friend used to be a waiter at one of the top restaurants on the Strip here in Vegas, but he had to know every detail of what was on the menu. He went to wine school to take classes where he learned in depth about the different types of wines, different ways they're made, how to pair them with food, etc. He made around a $100k a year because of the tips he'd get, but it took a lot of time and education on his part. It's not like walking in and waiting tables at Denny's, so yes, the waiter in the fancy restaurant does deserve to earn a hell of a lot more.

Their foods sucks and why are you an asshole?
My responses to you are a reflection of your posts. You post like someone who eats a lot of fast food, doesn't value a finely cooked meal, and doesn't understand the role of a server in fine dining; but, demands respect for his uninformed opinions.

No.

I am touched, you read my post(s). I am getting weepy here. But, there Is a topic here. Tipping, as apposed to actually paying people a fair wage, is there something wrong with that concept?

Most servers make well above minimum wage. Why do you want to take money out of their pockets and penalize them for personal work ethic?

I am not bias on the topic except for ordering choice vs work ethic..... Something not discussed yet. The more you spend the more you have to tip even if the amount of people and work doesn't increase. Doesn't make any sense to me.

What does is, "Most servers make well above minimum wage." ~YOU stated this. That is an important statement in the conversation.

If you are a good employer you will WORK and screen the workers best suited for the job. You won't be so lazy as to let the customer do your job.

Last edited:
If you don't TIP, don't go back, or you'll be eating spit.

Also, NEVER send your food back, same thing.

I ALWAYS TIP, and I TIP big! I never have a problem getting reservations, the best table, the best booze.

I ALWAYS TIP, and I TIP big! I never have a problem getting reservations, the best table, the best booze.

Some of the richest people in America don't tip. It's been documented. Why do you think that is?

If you are polite and respectful about whatever is wrong with your food, I don't see a reason why anything bad would be done to what is given to you next.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

If you are polite and respectful about whatever is wrong with your food, I don't see a reason why anything bad would be done to what is given to you next.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

Bobby Flay once made a statement; 'I never send food back, I don't eat at that restaurant anymore.'

I attended his restaurant opening here in Vegas and asked him why he said that, He replied; 'I don't like eating spit.' That's good enough for me.

Some of the richest people in America don't tip. It's been documented. Why do you think that is?

They like eating spit?

I would say, "YOu don't watch documentaries do you" but you don't even know that tipping isn't just a food industry thing...

To be fair, I never mistook you for smart!

A $200 meal requires considerably more knowledge and expertise on the part of the server, who is often expected to make dinner and wine recommendations, and actually know what they're talking about. Servers in a fine dining restaurant need to know quite a bit about food and wine in order to do their jobs.

Yes what is? A server that you met 1 second ago knows your tastes better than you do? No chance they are selling the most profitable commodity?

Good Lord, are you really so cheap? :lol:

Good Lord, are you really so cheap? :lol:
Well, I like to spend my money on things that last. Like tools. I make money with tools and a fillet d'flounder in glazed burgandy sauce will only last so long. But I admit it's hard to impress a gal with my new SawZall.

Somehow, I imagine the "Do not tip" crowd would be singing quite the different tune if they were the ones working for peanuts serving cheap, selfish bastards who did not tip.

Somehow, I imagine the "Do not tip" crowd would be singing quite the different tune if they were the ones working for peanuts serving cheap, selfish bastards who did not tip.
I seldom eat out so there would be no restaurant business if everyone was like me. I do tip on the rare occasion I go out in that kind of restaurant. I do get tips too, typically in the $50 - $200 range. If someone wants more money they need to find a better paying job. Waiting on tables isn't considered a skilled trade and they have no leverage in demanding more. Someone off the street can fill the spot.

You just can't imagine being paid a living wage, can you?

Forum List

Back