Why the term African American?

MalibuMan

Aug 27, 2008
Lebanon Ohio
I truely don't care what the color of your skin is, but I can't help wonder why people use the African American term over let's say just American. hell maybe I will demand to be called German American. Lets face it some black people in this country aren't anymore African American than I am. LOL.

I truely don't care what the color of your skin is, but I can't help wonder why people use the African American term over let's say just American. hell maybe I will demand to be called German American. Lets face it some black people in this country aren't anymore African American than I am. LOL.

I think it was originally coined by Jesse Jackson in the eighties. But, hey, if you can't beat 'em...join 'em. I can see it now - you'll have European Americans, Australian Americans, New Zealand Americans, Argentinian Americans, Iraqi Americans, Icelandic Americans, People's Republic of China Americans...and even American Americans.

As for me, I'm quite happy as a Roman Norse Gallic Spartan Saxony Brit.:confused:

I think it was originally coined by Jesse Jackson in the eighties. But, hey, if you can't beat 'em...join 'em. I can see it now - you'll have European Americans, Australian Americans, New Zealand Americans, Argentinian Americans, Iraqi Americans, Icelandic Americans, People's Republic of China Americans...and even American Americans.

As for me, I'm quite happy as a Roman Norse Gallic Spartan Saxony Brit.:confused:

lol.

I guess you didn't grow up in urban America where Italian, Irish, Polish, German, Swede,.......flags are flown from porches and where there are ethnic parades celebrating the heritage of people's parents, grand parents, great grand...?

another case of ME Syndrome: Melanin Envy

-----

"I truely[sic] don't care what the color of your skin is..."

yet you can't STFU about it can you?

Last edited:
I guess you didn't grow up in urban America where Italian, Irish, Polish, German, Swede,.......flags are flown from porches and where there are ethnic parades celebrating the heritage of people's parents, grand parents, great grand...?

another case of ME Syndrome: Melanin Envy

-----

"I truely[sic] don't care what the color of your skin is..."

yet you can't STFU about it can you?

that's it---I have mealnin deprivation syndrome
got any spare change ?:cool:

I've always thought it was a stupid term and use "Black" instead. You can be black and have no African heritage at all, and you can be white and be from Africa, so the term only serves to confuse.

It reminds me of the white student from South Africa that wasn't eligible for his schools "Distinguished African-American Student" award and was suspended over it: White African-American boy not 'black' enough for award

It seems silly that an American kid from Africa can't be honored by an award for African American students. He was probably the only kid in the school that was actually African American.

I've always thought it was a stupid term and use "Black" instead. You can be black and have no African heritage at all, and you can be white and be from Africa, so the term only serves to confuse.

It reminds me of the white student from South Africa that wasn't eligible for his schools "Distinguished African-American Student" award and was suspended over it: White African-American boy not 'black' enough for award

It seems silly that an American kid from Africa can't be honored by an award for African American students. He was probably the only kid in the school that was actually African American.

I'm afraid we have just scratched the suface of things that make no sense.

What a great time in America to be black, eh? It's is totally cracking me up to see the massive meltdown on the right.

giving the fact we all came from africa, then we are all african american!:lol:

African American is a more precise term than 'colored people'.

What a great time in America to be black, eh? It's is totally cracking me up to see the massive meltdown on the right.

Right. White. Do what is right.

Is it right to feel threatened by the Obama Presidency if you're white?

African American is a more precise term than 'colored people'.

I'm not sure if you're attempting to build a straw man here or what because no one in this thread that I've seen has used the term "colored people" and the terms that have been used didn't go from "colored people" to "Aftrican American".

But I would still say that "African American" isn't a useful term. If someone is an African American and they become a citizen of Spain then what? A Spanish African American? What about a black person that has never been to the Americas?

It seems like an oxymoron to use "precise" in regards to the term African American.

I'm not sure if you're attempting to build a straw man here or what because no one in this thread that I've seen has used the term "colored people" and the terms that have been used didn't go from "colored people" to "Aftrican American".

But I would still say that "African American" isn't a useful term. If someone is an African American and they become a citizen of Spain then what? A Spanish African American? What about a black person that has never been to the Americas?

It seems like an oxymoron to use "precise" in regards to the term African American.

The term went from 'colored' to 'black' to African American. I would think African American confers more respect and citizen status than black or 'colored'.

I don't see any problem with using the term African American when it's used to indicate a group of people that share common, pre-citizenship ancestral roots.

Black is a racial term, African American is an ethnic term. Just like we say we're Irish or German--when we mean our grandparents or great grandparents were born in Ireland or Germany.

What you call a group of people when you label them something has political implications. Whatever term the group chooses for itself, is the most respectful term.

Black or African American seem to be currently equally respectful but individuals may prefer one over the other.

Last edited:
The term went from 'colored' to 'black' to African American. I would think African American confers more respect and citizen status than black or 'colored'.

I don't see any problem with using the term African American when it's used to indicate a group of people that share common, pre-citizenship ancestral roots.

Black is a racial term, African American is an ethnic term. Just like we say we're Irish or German--when we mean our grandparents or great grandparents were born in Ireland or Germany.

What you call a group of people when you label them something has political implications.

But you didn't answer my questions.

What about a black person who has never been to America? What do you call them? Depends on what country they live in, doesn't it?

Then they would be a african spaniard who was orginally from the United States.
And if they want to be called african american that is their choice, some do not and would rather be called black!

Forum List

Back