Why the term African American?

Then they would be a african spaniard who was orginally from the United States.
And if they want to be called african american that is their choice, some do not and would rather be called black!

I think the "it's their choice" stuff is ridiculous. I think constantly changing the terminology that is PC and then faulting anyone that uses the wrong term as a racist or insensitive is wrong.

I think the "it's their choice" stuff is ridiculous. I think constantly changing the terminology that is PC and then faulting anyone that uses the wrong term as a racist or insensitive is wrong.

everything evolves. and ultimately, they decided what THEY wanted to be called, rather than letting white people decide what they should be called. It gave them more dignity as far as they are concerned. I've never seen it as a big deal.

FWIW, Obama called them black americans during his speech the other day.

I don't see a problem with being respectful to others, do you?

Nope. I have a problem with the standard being changed and people getting indignant that others aren't keeping up with their whims.

Keep working that Strawman angle though, I'm sure you'll get someone to bite. :tongue:

Nope. I have a problem with the standard being changed and people getting indignant that others aren't keeping up with their whims.

Keep working that Strawman angle though, I'm sure you'll get someone to bite. :tongue:

If you got up tomorrow and legally changed your name. Anyone who kept calling you by your old name would be incredibly disrespectful.

ultimately it is about respect. why would you have an issue with being respectful to others?

What do you think a strawman argument is? We are discussing why people may prefer to be called african american rather than just american. I asked you a question. Why is it a bother for you to be respectful to others, Amanda?

Last edited:
everything evolves. and ultimately, they decided what THEY wanted to be called, rather than letting white people decide what they should be called. It gave them more dignity as far as they are concerned. I've never seen it as a big deal.

But who is "they"? Is there some official delegation? I'm being sincere, I don't know how this came about, but I've never heard of any body that could have sanctified the term. What about "Afro American"? I hear that one occasionally. Which one is really correct? Is saying "black" wrong now? Who makes the official rules? I'm not sure how much dignity I would feel was conferred to me by watching someone else be uncomfortable because they didn't know what term to use.

But honestly I don't see it as a big deal either. I use the term "black" because it makes sense to me.

FWIW, Obama called them black americans during his speech the other day.
I caught that.

I guess we should have stayed calling african americans colored or ni**** because we shouldn't have to change because they want us to! By the way calling an asian person an oriental is wrong also!(not saying you did though)

If you got up tomorrow and legally changed your name. Anyone who kept calling you by your old name would be incredibly disrespectful.
Only if they knew. AND you just made my point: I am the one that makes the decision if I change my name, there is no guess work involved. If I do it, it's official. Who decided that "African American" is the correct term?

ultimately it is about respect. why would you have an issue with being respectful to others?
I've already answered this.

I guess we should have stayed calling african americans colored or ni**** because we shouldn't have to change because they want us to! By the way calling an asian person an oriental is wrong also!(not saying you did though)

Some old farts haven't caught on and they still call Asians 'orientals'. Kind of raises the hairs on the back of my neck, lol.

Some old farts haven't caught on and they still call Asians 'orientals'. Kind of raises the hairs on the back of my neck, lol.
watch Gran Torino, Clint Eastwood uses ever slang term one can when refering to people who are asian. Very good movie though, nothing like I expected!

I think alot of people make this mistake, but its not because they are trying to say something racist. "Oriental" isnt a racial slur at all, its just the word you use to describe an asian made item or something from the orient, NOT a person. Its simply a grammatical error when people do this.

Last edited:
I think alot of people make this mistake, but its not because they are trying to say something racist. "Oriental" isnt a racial slur at all, its just the word you use to describe an asian made item, not a person. Its simply a grammatical error when people do this.
I don't think they are trying to offend people either when using the word in reference to asian people. My mom used it for awhile and she has no problem with asian people and was not using it in an insulting way so I just simply told her they prefer to be called asian!

I truely don't care what the color of your skin is, but I can't help wonder why people use the African American term over let's say just American. hell maybe I will demand to be called German American. Lets face it some black people in this country aren't anymore African American than I am. LOL.

White guilt. They are negroes but that sounds too much like the N word. Black was acceptable for awhile (maybe still is in some places) but that was decided to racist also. It's tough not insulting people who feel wronged by the world.

White guilt. Yep. All those folks who are offended by the suggestion that they do the right thing.

Forum List

Back