Why the objection to literacy tests for potential voters?

&

☭proletarian☭

It's not like anyone is denied an education nowadays. If you can't read/write English, you don't know what form of government the U.S. has, or you can't name the two houses of Congress, why the fuck should you be allowed to vote and fuck this country up more?

:lol:

Nobody caught it! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think that human's were dumb before we were able to read and write?
Most still are.

How can anyone who doesn't demonstrate a basic knowledge of the nation, the language in which its laws are written, and the form of its government be trusted to participate in the government?

I'm not so certain it is the illiterate who vote.... are the ones picking the WRONG people....I think us supposed educated ones are doing a fine job, all on our own.

☭proletarian☭;2081077 said:
Do you think that human's were dumb before we were able to read and write?
Most still are.

How can anyone who doesn't demonstrate a basic knowledge of the nation, the language in which its laws are written, and the form of its government be trusted to participate in the government?

I have experience with this, first hand....

My grandparents came here from Italy very late in life to be near their only living child-my mother, I think they were in their 50's and 60's. Neither of them spoke English, so my mother was their interpreter...with everything, for the next 30 years, until they died....she took them to the doctor, the dentist, the grocery stores, the banks and was there to translate....later in life, when my sister and I were older, we helped with interpreting things for them if they needed it.

After 5 years here, they took their citizenship test and they both passed it and became citizens....there were no 2 people on this earth more proud to be American Citizens....

They kept up with the news by reading the daily newspaper delivered to their home, in Italian that kept up with all the politics and government etc, for their community in Brooklyn, NY.

They asked questions of me or my dad or mom or sis....the Baker the Grocer etc who all spoke Italian...to keep themselves informed.

They were MORE INFORMED than I was at 20-29, I can say that much.....

Just because someone does not speak english fluently, does not mean in the least, that they do NOT know what is going on or who to vote for....they probably know better than the average American born here, imho.

Now my grandpa ended up being able to speak broken english, but my grandmother was hopeless.....and she tried and tried and was just the old dog that new tricks could not be taught....this didn't make her any less knowledgeable on what was happening than him.

50% of this country DOES NOT vote....

THAT is a more serious issue to me....

no one should be required to take a test, in order to be represented.

The major problem I have with literacy is this, you end up thinking a lot about the nature of the world and find out what a fucking farce the entire blue ball is and so to have any chance of happiness you have to drink your literacy away.

That and the fact that it makes your eyes go to shit.

Oh, and the poetry of Harold Pinter.

☭proletarian☭;2081072 said:
It's not like anyone is denied an education nowadays. If you can't read/write English, you don't know what form of government the US has, or you can't name the two houses of Congress, why the fuck should your be allowed to vote and fuck this country up more?

They are unconstitutional. Everyone of the proper age has a protected right to vote. Further they have a long storied history of ABUSE.

It's not like anyone is denied an education nowadays. If you can't read/write English, you don't know what form of government the US has, or you can't name the two houses of Congress, why the fuck should your be allowed to vote and fuck this country up more?

In your heart of hearts I think you know why this is allowed.

If we didn't allow the terminal stupid to vote, both parties would be out on their asses.

See I think a new theory of evolution may be required.

If the terminally stupid are thus, why do they get naturally selected so?

They are unconstitutional. Everyone of the proper age has a protected right to vote. Further they have a long storied history of ABUSE.

Yes, precisely because they were used as tools to suppress Black votes. If it had not been for that they would probably still be in use. And not a bad thing either.
As Care4all mentions, educated people can be the biggest fools. After all, probbaly 90+% of university professors voted for Obama. But take a look at Howard Stern's video sometime from before the election. He sent someone to Harlem in NY. He asked the mostly Black residents there if they were voting for Obama because they supported (and here he put in some position that was actually McCain's. That included having Sarah Palin as VP). Universally they all said they were voting for Obama because of some position actually held by McCain, or because they opposed some position actually held by Obama.
How do you let people like that vote?

Just like making sure everyone has a photo-ID and only votes once....this issue won't be addressed as long as someone stands in the way.

Whomever is standing in the way seems to make a living pulling the wool over the eyes of the voter.

Assuming that Blacks in particular will have trouble passing the test is racist by the way......just in case that thought crosses anyone's mind.

Last edited:
Love the idea but lets face it.........Democrats could never support such legislation because they know they'd never get eleceted to public office................

I still think about 2008 when Howard Stern went into Harlem New York and asked about 50 minority voters about the election.........asked the following question..........

"Does it bother you that Sarah Palin is Barak Obama's running mate and would you still vote for him?".

No need to elaborate on what the response was...............:badgrin::badgrin::rofl:.........but go google it on the web and hear the audio clips = hysterical!!!

Historically.........Democrats get millions of votes from the dim of society. Throw in the hopelessly duped dreamer/idealists like you get on this board and its make you wonder how a Republican can ever get elected?

Last edited:
I'm thinking that proletrian might be on to something. In the last Presidential election, if we didn't have so many dumb asses voting, Owe Bama wouldn't be our fearless leader.

J

Assuming that Blacks in particular will have trouble passing the test is racist by the way......just in case that thought crosses anyone's mind.

Blacks as a group score lower on every standardized test. Why would this one be different?

Rabbi............not sure if you ever read "The Bell Curve"..........quite sobering!!!

i couldnt say for certain, but this may be the most literate time in the history of the union.

there certainly couldnt have been such a standard to elect the first 10 classes of congress without it being a defacto reestablishment of the royalist/elitist regime we'd broken from. time to move in that direction now?

I find it somewhat amusing that many of you assume that Blacks would be eliminated from voting but Whites wouldn't.

Obviously, you guys haven't taught in many all White schools.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
Everyone of the proper age has a protected right to vote.
They should not.

Voting should be reserved for those willing to learn what they're voting on.

The 'universal right to vote' is abuse- it enables those in power to manipulate the ignorant masses into supporting them. The useful idiots are a tool used by the elite to oppress the People.

Forum List

Back