Why the objection to literacy tests for potential voters?

☭proletarian☭;2081077 said:
Most still are.

How can anyone who doesn't demonstrate a basic knowledge of the nation, the language in which its laws are written, and the form of its government be trusted to participate in the government?

Who's to say what 'basic knowledge of the nation' means?

i see people make pronouncements on this board every day about our government that I know would never be made by anyone who ever actually studied it. I see pretend constitutionalists make pronouncements about what our constitution is every day that I know none of them would ever make if they had ever studied constitutional law.

Do I get to judge what 'knowledge' means?

I think not. And THAT isn't what was intended by our form of government.

Or should we just let those in power vote for us since apparently people are too stupid to vote?

If you're a citizen of this country over voting age, you get to vote. Or should we disenfranchise someone who's written english perhaps isn't as good as their conversational english? do we have a literacy requirement? Nope.

Last edited:
☭proletarian☭;2081238 said:
Everyone of the proper age has a protected right to vote.
They should not.

Voting should be reserved for those willing to learn what they're voting on.

The 'universal right to vote' is abuse- it enables those in power to manipulate the ignorant masses into supporting them. The useful idiots are a tool used by the elite to oppress the People.

Move to a Country that believes as you do. Or change the Constitution. I know which is more likely to have any chance of occurring.

We do not need elitists running our Country.

Further I will again remind you that all such tests do is allow who ever is in power to rig the elections.

. And THAT isn't what was intended by our form of government.

Not true.

The FF clearly intended for one class to rule over the rest. That's why only landed gentry could vote. If you plan to appeal to the FF, you'll have a hard time arguing for what you seem to want.
Or should we just let those in power vote for us since apparently people are too stupid to vote?

People know they're too stupid to govern themselves. That's why they turn to kings and gods to tell them what to do. The People need a strong hand to guide them.
If you're a citizen of this country over voting age, you get to vote.

Why should person A get to control the government and not person B, just because they were born a mile apart, on opposite sides of a lie on a map. when neither has demonstrated competency?

The concept of citizenship as it exists is mutually exclusive with the universal rights you advocate.

Love the idea but lets face it.........Democrats could never support such legislation because they know they'd never get eleceted to public office................

I still think about 2008 when Howard Stern went into Harlem New York and asked about 50 minority voters about the election.........asked the following question..........

"Does it bother you that Sarah Palin is Barak Obama's running mate and would you still vote for him?".

No need to elaborate on what the response was...............:badgrin::badgrin::rofl:.........but go google it on the web and hear the audio clips = hysterical!!!

Historically.........Democrats get millions of votes from the dim of society. Throw in the hopelessly duped dreamer/idealists like you get on this board and its make you wonder how a Republican can ever get elected?

:eusa_hand:republican voters are the lesser educated, lower-earning, perhaps more illiterate demographic. it isnt 1983 anymore, kook, but thanks for playing.

Most still are.

How can anyone who doesn't demonstrate a basic knowledge of the nation, the language in which its laws are written, and the form of its government be trusted to participate in the government?

i see people make pronouncements on this board every day about our government that I know would never be made by anyone who ever actually studied it would make. I see pretend constitutionalists make pronouncements about what our constitution is every day that I know none of them would ever make if they had ever studied constitutional law.

If you're a citizen of this country over voting age, you get to vote. Or should we disenfranchise someone who's written english perhaps isn't as good as their conversational english? do we have a literacy requirement? Nope.
Absolutely right on! Why put up more barriers to democracy? Why disenfranchise people based on snobbish, elitist 'principles' designed to alienate one group from another? What's next? A civics test to assure one's vote is according to a given ideology or political philosophy? Making sure only property owners, men and earners get to vote while those who need the democratic process the most.

Absolutely right on! Why put up more barriers to democracy?

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself."
John Adams Unabashed democracy has failed every time it's been tried.
Making sure only property owners, men and earners get to vote while those who need the democratic process the most.

What about those who most need mob rule?

Do you think that human's were dumb before we were able to read and write?
Most still are.

I would argue the right to remain willfully ignorant/stupid is the high price freedom.

Democrats are by definition dumb asses, donkeys.

Republicans elephants who never forget and never learn.

What is an independent to do?

On this day I proclaim the birth, or rather hatching, of the Platypus Populist Party.

We admit we have no idea what we are doing, we probably should not exist, but at least we are honest.

On this day I proclaim the birth, or rather hatching, of the Platypus Populist Party.

We admit we have no idea what we are doing, we probably should not exist, but at least we are honest.

Chimera Party: Populism, not principles (or sense).

List the politicians who should join:
McCain
Obama

I don't think we need testing per se. Let's just go back to registering people at the Voter Registration Office. If they're motivated enough to hoof it down to the county courthouse and smart enough to find it in whatever coat closet you put it in... voila!... you've got a voter.

That said, I think we should make provisions for the aged and infirm.. but only county officials should be allowed to register voters.

For those of you who think that a literacy test would be an elitist thing to do?

ARe you telling me that you think anybody who can read is a member of the ELITE?!

I go down to my polls to vote and I see partisans busing in people who are RETARDED.

They'd don't even know why they're there, folks.

They're excited because they're going to get lunch with cookies after they do what they're told to do.

This is wrong.

This is ANTI-DEMOCRATIC, and this is COMMONLY done through out America by partisans from both teams.

It's disgusting.

Most still are.

i see people make pronouncements on this board every day about our government that I know would never be made by anyone who ever actually studied it would make. I see pretend constitutionalists make pronouncements about what our constitution is every day that I know none of them would ever make if they had ever studied constitutional law.

I would easily include you among those too ignorant and stupid to vote.
We already judge what "basic knowledge of the US" means when we give the citizenship test. I had two elderly friends, non English speakers, who were studying for it. It was pretty basic, nothing someone who had 7th grade American history wouldn't know. I don't think insisting on that is denying anyone rights.
It won't happen though. Too many politicians are dependent on keeping their supporters ignorant for their offices.

Pro, there is a lot of "dumb fucks" who bled and died so you could have a platform to spout your shit. Have the decency to remember at least one of them if you can.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
As Jillian stated in her post, this sort of idea could be dangerous with the way the test is designed.

But, if this is done, the illiterate should be exempt from paying taxes. No taxation without representation. Then, I would purposely fail the test.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: del
Principals are pragmatic or petrified.

That is the our choice, evolution or fossil record.

Now I am not, NOT, advocating cynicism, or nihilism, but rather saying we all stumble through the political landscape.

None of us have all the answers, so I would kindly suggest that we use our principals as our compass but do not confuse our compass as all of our destinations. We may be going to different places.

That is the beauty of democracy, it alone allows this.

Such has been my experience, such as it is.

We all having a conversation here.

A glorious, confusing chorus.

Where as tyranny is a one way monolouge.

Last edited:
Most still are.

I would easily include you among those too ignorant and stupid to vote.
We already judge what "basic knowledge of the US" means when we give the citizenship test. I had two elderly friends, non English speakers, who were studying for it. It was pretty basic, nothing someone who had 7th grade American history wouldn't know. I don't think insisting on that is denying anyone rights.
It won't happen though. Too many politicians are dependent on keeping their supporters ignorant for their offices.

bingo

Forum List

Back