Why Students (and Barack Obama) Should Shut Up Already About College Costs

The far right is anti-education and sounds little like the Taliban too me.

This nation has become a first world power on the back of higher education. This is why we must fix this cost problem.

Cost "problem"? Really? For just once, can we deal in facts here?

How to find the net cost: Use the White House’s simple college net tuition calculator. For example, we found that Harvard’s average net cost was actually just over $18,000 for the 2010-11 school year, making it more affordable than fellow Ivy Leaguers Princeton, Columbia, and Dartmouth. In fact, between 2007 and 2009, the cost of attending Harvard actually dropped by 15%. The average borrowing cost for students is also less than $90 per month. And if a student’s family earns less than $60,000 per year, Harvard charges nothing for attendance. Yale follows the same policy.

Ivy League schools are surprisingly cheap.

It truly is astounding how the liberals allow their masters to convince them of a problem where no such problem exists... :bang3:

The far right is anti-education and sounds little like the Taliban too me.

This nation has become a first world power on the back of higher education. This is why we must fix this cost problem.

Cost "problem"? Really? For just once, can we deal in facts here?

How to find the net cost: Use the White House’s simple college net tuition calculator. For example, we found that Harvard’s average net cost was actually just over $18,000 for the 2010-11 school year, making it more affordable than fellow Ivy Leaguers Princeton, Columbia, and Dartmouth. In fact, between 2007 and 2009, the cost of attending Harvard actually dropped by 15%. The average borrowing cost for students is also less than $90 per month. And if a student’s family earns less than $60,000 per year, Harvard charges nothing for attendance. Yale follows the same policy.

Ivy League schools are surprisingly cheap.

It truly is astounding how the liberals allow their masters to convince them of a problem where no such problem exists... :bang3:

It costs an average of $90 per month for those borrowing money to attend Harvard, and our friends on the left want to convince people to let them "fix" this "problem" :cuckoo:

I can't wait until they do and the average cost per month to borrow skyrockets to $9,000 per month. Ah well, I'm sure they'll blame it on the "greedy" wealthy when that happens. And the "evil" Republicans. Oh, and don't forget that "awful" capitalism. Yeah, they will blame "the big three" for the disasters they create themselves just like they always do... :eusa_whistle:

I went to college. What difference does it make how old I am?

It's very relevant actually.

You know what is even more relevant? The fact that every school in the nation is so full of students, they have an admissions board that actually turns customers away...:eusa_whistle:

Care to explain that?

This is what I'm going to explain. You refusing to reveal your age, reveals your age. Who the fuck do you think you are to lecture my generation about complaining of absurd tuition costs? This isn't 1975 where you can work a summer job and pay your tuition for the following year. You can't even do that and pay for a community college anymore and it's you greedy, reckless Baby Boomers who caused this shit. Don't you dare tell me how to feel about forking out $500 a month for the next 20 years, while I'm trying to raise a child by myself, to pay off my school loans. Unless you have parents who are making six figure salaries or are lucky enough to get one of the few scholarships out there to cover the bulk of your costs, you have no choice but to take out tens of thousands of dollars in loan money and get enslaved in this crushing debt. Eat shit, you old bastard. You're the worst generation this country has ever seen and are completely ignorant to the shit pile you're leaving us to deal with.

Last edited:
Who the fuck do you think you are to lecture my generation about complaining of absurd tuition costs? This isn't 1975 where you can work a summer job and pay your tuition for the following year. You can't even do that and pay for a community college anymore and it's you greedy, reckless Baby Boomers who caused this shit. Don't you dare tell me how to feel about forking out $500 a month for the next 20 years, while I'm trying to raise a child by myself, to pay off my school loans. Unless you have parents who are making six figure salaries or are lucky enough to get one of the few scholarships out there to cover the bulk of your costs, you have no choice but to take out tens of thousands of dollars in loan money and get enslaved in this crushing debt. Eat shit, you old bastard. You're the worst generation this country has ever seen and are completely ignorant to the shit pile you're leaving us to deal with.

What's 'your' generation? Why are you raising a child by yourself? Why do you consider family helping family to be such a shocking concept? What makes you think that bitching at some old guy is going to magically make things easier for you? Do cars cost the same as they did 40 years ago? Do houses? Do you stand outside movie theaters and scream about how it doesn't cost a nickel to see a 'speakie' anymore?

You know what is even more relevant? The fact that every school in the nation is so full of students, they have an admissions board that actually turns customers away...:eusa_whistle:

Care to explain that?

This is because there are no jobs & the government will support you while you are in college & will lend you more than tuition, so you can live well instead of living in the streets or parents basement.

It’s back-to-college time, which means it’s the season for bitching and moaning about rising college costs, lack of access to higher education, and the pressing need for even more taxpayer-funded subsidies to the leaders of tomorrow. In just the past few weeks, we’ve been subjected to breathless reports that “college tuition costs” have risen 500 percent since 1985 and a mini campaign swing by President Obama touting more free money for students and a federally sanctioned knockoff of college guides already provided by the Princeton Review, U.S. News & World Report, Washington Monthly, Barron’s, and countless other sources.

Enough already. The plain facts are that college is still well within reach of most Americans, the wage premium for a college sheepskin remains huge, and student loans are not a new form of indentured servitude. You wouldn’t get any of that from grandstanding politicians always looking for a new way to rob Peter to buy Paul’s vote, an educational establishment that’s always on the hunt for new revenue sources, and a news media that alternates between the credulity and ignorance of, well, a first-semester freshman.

Why Students (and Barack Obama) Should Shut Up Already About College Costs - Reason.com

No it is not within the reach of many Americans, Reagan started the whole BS story of why we need to cut off public college funding and put it into the military. When I went to college in '79 it was less than 20 dollars an hour at OK U., now it's 10 times that amount and actual wages have not risen that much. The other problem is that colleges pay the boards hundreds of thousands of dollars, for what, not much.

Do cars cost the same as they did 40 years ago? Do houses? Do you stand outside movie theaters and scream about how it doesn't cost a nickel to see a 'speakie' anymore?

Tuition, healthcare & property taxes have gone up many times faster rate than can be explained simply by the rate of inflation.

Care to explain that?

This is because there are no jobs & the government will support you while you are in college & will lend you more than tuition, so you can live well instead of living in the streets or parents basement.

There are jobs but these lily white asshats don't want what is available. Why they are screaming for people in NW Ark. it may be a poultry plant but hey, it's money.

Do cars cost the same as they did 40 years ago? Do houses? Do you stand outside movie theaters and scream about how it doesn't cost a nickel to see a 'speakie' anymore?

Tuition, healthcare & property taxes have gone up many times faster rate than can be explained simply by the rate of inflation.

police and sheriffs want 100% retirement pay and a 80k charger with all the para-military weapons for free.

Care to explain that?

This is what I'm going to explain. You refusing to reveal your age, reveals your age. Who the fuck do you think you are to lecture my generation about complaining of absurd tuition costs? This isn't 1975 where you can work a summer job and pay your tuition for the following year. You can't even do that and pay for a community college anymore and it's you greedy, reckless Baby Boomers who caused this shit. Don't you dare tell me how to feel about forking out $500 a month for the next 20 years, while I'm trying to raise a child by myself, to pay off my school loans. Unless you have parents who are making six figure salaries or are lucky enough to get one of the few scholarships out there to cover the bulk of your costs, you have no choice but to take out tens of thousands of dollars in loan money and get enslaved in this crushing debt. Eat shit, you old bastard. You're the worst generation this country has ever seen and are completely ignorant to the shit pile you're leaving us to deal with.

First of all, nobody told you to go to college ass-wipe. You wanted to go, you pay for it. This is like a prick whining about the cost of a Ferarri. Don't buy the fuck'n Ferarri if you don't like the price tag

Second, nobody told you to have a child. Quit crying about something you did to yourself.

Third, nobody told you to have a child out of wedlock (or get divorced). Quit crying about something you did to yourself.

Fourth, how old are you son?

Fifth, you still haven't explained how colleges are so stuffed with students that every single university in the nation turns people away if it is sooooooo "unaffordable"

Last edited:
I put myself through college in the 70s working minimum wage jobs ($2 an hour). My first years tuition was $650 and it went up to $1050 for my last two years. I graduated with an engineering degree in four years with no student debt. I was able to get a job right out of college that I could support myself on....even bought a new car

A kid today can't do that and there are few well paying jobs

Care to explain that?

:lmao: Jesus, I'm dying over here :lmao:

Hey [MENTION=31057]JoeB131[/MENTION] - you really need to see this post. :lmao:

You see DTMB, in another post (which you can find HERE), JoeB is accusing me of being a "young kid" who lacks "wisdom" because I haven't lived long enough.

Now you're accusing me of being an "old bastard" from the Baby Boomer generation who attended college in 1975 :lmao:

You guys are like two monkeys fuck'n a football.... :lmao:

You two really need to get together and sort this out. Am I an "old bastard" from the Baby Boomers or am I a "young kid who hasn't lived long enough to have wisdom yet"? It can't be both! :lol:

(Something tells me both of these guys are wrong.... :eusa_whistle:)

I put myself through college in the 70s working minimum wage jobs ($2 an hour). My first years tuition was $650 and it went up to $1050 for my last two years. I graduated with an engineering degree in four years with no student debt. I was able to get a job right out of college that I could support myself on....even bought a new car

And all of that is thanks to willfully ignorant voters such as you and the Dumbocrat masters you serve.

And few issues better illustrate that fact than this issue right here. I have posted several links about how affordable college is (that even Harvard and Yale are $90 per month to borrow tuition and is FREE for any family which makes under $60,000). And yet you cry for government to get involved.

Well guess what's going to happen once government further injects themselves into the issue and starts throwing money at the "problem" (which doesn't even exist)? Tuition is going to absolutely skyrocket as colleges try to gobble up as much of that government money as is being tossed around.

But....if you take Uncle Sam's proverbial golden ticket out of the equation, guess what happens? If people truly can't afford it, they don't go. When the classrooms are empty, the universities lower there tuition. It's basic supply & demand.

Unfortunately though, you're a Democrat. Which means even basic economics makes your head hurt. Better to just vote for someone who promises to "fix" what they convinced you was "broke" in the first place... :bang3:

police and sheriffs want 100% retirement pay and a 80k charger with all the para-military weapons for free.

First of all, you have left-wing unions to thank for government employee retirement benefits.

Second, a Dodge Charger with a - GASP! - AR-style firearm is an absolute pittance compared to the TRILLIONS spent nation-wide on unconstitutional shit like Medicaid and welfare. We spend more in one month on that shit than every law enforcement department spends in a year.

Epic Fail (are you really this ignorant or are you just trying to be a troll?)

First of all, you have left-wing unions to thank for government employee retirement benefits.

Second, a Dodge Charger with a - GASP! - AR-style firearm is an absolute pittance compared to the TRILLIONS spent nation-wide on unconstitutional shit like Medicaid and welfare. We spend more in one month on that shit than every law enforcement department spends in a year.

Epic Fail (are you really this ignorant or are you just trying to be a troll?)

So republican sheriffs are left winged, shows how much you know.

And all of that is thanks to willfully ignorant voters such as you and the Dumbocrat masters you serve.

And few issues better illustrate that fact than this issue right here. I have posted several links about how affordable college is (that even Harvard and Yale are $90 per month to borrow tuition and is FREE for any family which makes under $60,000). And yet you cry for government to get involved.

Well guess what's going to happen once government further injects themselves into the issue and starts throwing money at the "problem" (which doesn't even exist)? Tuition is going to absolutely skyrocket as colleges try to gobble up as much of that government money as is being tossed around.

But....if you take Uncle Sam's proverbial golden ticket out of the equation, guess what happens? If people truly can't afford it, they don't go. When the classrooms are empty, the universities lower there tuition. It's basic supply & demand.

Unfortunately though, you're a Democrat. Which means even basic economics makes your head hurt. Better to just vote for someone who promises to "fix" what they convinced you was "broke" in the first place... :bang3:

Doesn't address the overall problem and Harvard can afford to do what they want

The problem is multifold:
- Escallating tuition costs at both public and private institutions
- Stagnant minimum wages which college students historically used to defray costs
- The lack of good paying jobs for qualified graduates

Your supply and demand analogy is typical class warfare. If the poor and middle class cannot afford college....don't go
It also ignores the competition of international students

Doesn't address the overall problem and Harvard can afford to do what they want

The problem is multifold:
- Escallating tuition costs at both public and private institutions
- Stagnant minimum wages which college students historically used to defray costs
- The lack of good paying jobs for qualified graduates

Your supply and demand analogy is typical class warfare. If the poor and middle class cannot afford college....don't go
It also ignores the competition of international students

International students make it possible for colleges to offer more financial aid to American students.

Forum List

Back