Looking For Advice

Pheonix

Thoughtful Wanderer
Sep 5, 2013
In the mome raths out grabe.
I am putting this under the Education category because I am trying to educate myself. I didn't see another place to post it, so I'll go ahead and ask. :)

I am not yet old enough to vote, but I want to make a difference. I also want to inspire others my age to start making a difference. In fact, I want to create a blog or a different type of website that is for teens to learn and keep informed about the Constitution/Current Events/Etc.

More importantly, I want to know what we can DO to have our voices heard, have influence, and make a difference. A lot of times discussions or information on U.S. politics generates a lot of stress and frustration for me- and I'm sure a lot of teens like me- because I feel powerless.

However, we are the future, aren't we? There should be some ways that we can make a difference, even if they are small ways at first.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

~Pheonix

Educate yourself and offer information about all sides of any given issue. Try to keep an open mind and be willing to change it if what you learn shows that your opinion is in error.

Good for you and I wish you every success.

Thankyou Luddly and Eagle, that's really awesome advice. :D
I'll be sure to read those.

Any other advice would be wonderful, especially regarding specific things to do...

Here's a specific question- how do you write a letter to a congressman, and do letters really count for anything?

Contacting the Congress: A Citizen's Congressional Directory

Yes and No. Depends on the letter and the Congressman, or whatever.

Letters can be useful. We sent off info to the Governor of our State over an Insurance issue. We provided information of Fraud by the same. The Governor handled it and found that there were 1000's involved in our state. The situation was corrected and the Insurance Company very nearly lost their license in this state.

I'll try to be more specific.

Get this and read it and think about it:

The Screwing of the Average Man (1974) by David Hapgood
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/screwing-average-man-David-Hapgood/dp/B0006W84KK]The screwing of the average man: David Hapgood: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Consider a few simple questions. Double-entry accounting is 700 years old. How hard can it be? Why hasn't it been mandatory in our schools for decades? Why is Shakespeare and 4 years of English literature more important in high school?

We are bombarded with bad information to keep most of us ignorant and confused. Of course no one told me about that book. I just stumbled across it while perusing a book store.

Of course you will have to decide if I am just another clown talking BS. :lol:

psik

A BIT OF (UNSOLICITED) ADVICE:

Congresspeople tend to "listen" to direct communications from constituents. It's not that they read every one, but if they get a "pile" of letters from constituents that say basically the same thing (though not "form" letters, which are ignored), they might take notice.

But keep in mind (I know you won't) that young people tend to see the world in terms of simple concepts and slogans ("Give peace a chance!"), because they do not have sufficient knowledge and experience to understand the complexity of the issues.

There are a lot of things in government that are just plain stupid or wrong, and only exist because some special interest group has an inordinate amount of influence with elected officials because they (1) raise money for them, and (2) vote as a bloc. Think sugar subsidies, government employees (at the local level), state control of liquor sales, and things of that nature. If you want to make a difference, focus on these things.

Bombing Syria, Obamacare, Immigration - these are too complex to be affected by anything you could do.

A BIT OF (UNSOLICITED) ADVICE:

Congresspeople tend to "listen" to direct communications from constituents. It's not that they read every one, but if they get a "pile" of letters from constituents that say basically the same thing (though not "form" letters, which are ignored), they might take notice.

But keep in mind (I know you won't) that young people tend to see the world in terms of simple concepts and slogans ("Give peace a chance!"), because they do not have sufficient knowledge and experience to understand the complexity of the issues.

There are a lot of things in government that are just plain stupid or wrong, and only exist because some special interest group has an inordinate amount of influence with elected officials because they (1) raise money for them, and (2) vote as a bloc. Think sugar subsidies, government employees (at the local level), state control of liquor sales, and things of that nature. If you want to make a difference, focus on these things.

Bombing Syria, Obamacare, Immigration - these are too complex to be affected by anything you could do.

Thankyou for the good information, and giving me something to chew on.

I disagree slightly with the last point, you're right that I don't understand the complexity of everything going into it, and I definitely do not have enough influence (being as young am) to do much of anything directly abou it. However, I beleive that I could make a difference, and I will try, even if it ends up being an indirect or small (even miniscule) one. If I start learning now, I will be prepared to make a more direct difference when I am older.

One question:
What is a "Form" letter?

Last edited:
A form letter that is replicated and sent to many people and is not personalized for the individual receiving it.

Hello, Phoenix,

I think it is great you want to do something. When you asked for specifics, this is what I thought of:

1. You don't say how old you are, but if you are still in school, why not start/join a political debate club.
2. You can also start one of those groups as a community based interest - given you generate enough interest.
3. Speaking of your community, town government is a good place to start visiting meetings and investigating processes and what helps. Personally? Sometimes I think people think they need to do something HUGE to make a difference, when in fact community based work moves mountains.
4. Find out what sort of charity events are going on around where you live and start visiting them - politicians love to show up for photo ops and I've grabbed the sleeve of more than a few this way.

Also, you asked about writing your representatives. I totally endorse that! They listen, they respond. I find email easier to do and usually get replies back quickly. If you don't know who your reps are you can do an internet search to find out; then look up their website, which will give you all the info you need on how to contact them.

Finally, again you don't say how old you are, but if you are this interested? Maybe some college course work directed toward the ideas would help you focus.

Good luck!
K.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

~Pheonix

Learn how to spell Phoenix for starters...

:lol: Too true!

I realized I misspelled the word after I set up my account.
To be fair, Phoenix (the correct spelling) is already taken.

Pheonix, you asked for advice, I'll give you this,
when it comes to drinking, finish with what you started and don't change in the middle.
Oh wait, it's a political message board, not Alcoholics Anonymous. :evil:
eagle1462010 gave you a great link, start there for your journey, you can't go wrong with the Federalist Papers, I wish all Americans would read them.

Educate yourself and offer information about all sides of any given issue. Try to keep an open mind and be willing to change it if what you learn shows that your opinion is in error.

Good for you and I wish you every success.

Avoid taking advice from Luddly.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back