Why So Many Broken Bats, Nowadays ?

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
Today's news is reporting about a woman who was hit in the head with a baseball bat that went flying into the stands, at Fenway Park, in Boston. She was rushed out of the stadium on a stretcher. The bat broke in half when it made contact with the baseball. It was only a matter of time before this would happen.

Wooden major league baseball bats aren't what they used to be. I watched baseball games on TV back in the 1950's. Then it was common to see baseball bats break too, but not with any where near the frequency that bats break today. Today, you may see 3 or 4 broken bats in one inning. In the 50s, if you saw that many in a whole game, that would have been a lot.

Not only are fans in danger of these out of control flying bats, but so are players (infielders). I stopped watching MLB last year, but I remember seeing infielders dodging broken bats rather frequently, as well as the splinters coming from them. I wonder if the bats are being made from a weaker wood than they were decades ago, when broken bats were more of a rarity.

If so, I'd say it's time to go back to the stronger woods, but forget metal bats. They also endanger infielders and pitchers by producing faster line drives, and the sound they produce is terrible. In any case, this unacceptable situation has gone on for far too long. It's bad enough that the baseballs are dangerous. Somebody needs to get this bat thing back to a safer level, and quickly.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/05/us/bos...bat/index.html

The move from hickory to ash to maple bats over the years. Also, more tightly wound baseballs.

The biggest factor is actually science......

Force = Mass X Acceleration. I believe MLB limits the upper weight of bats at 34 oz. That means bat speed is the only variable in the equation.

That has lead to bats with thinner handles to allow for increased centrifugal force in the barrel/head of the bat and therefore increased power of the swing.

Unfortunately that also leads to a greater number of broken bats due to the thinned out handles and higher centrifugal forces on the bat. Especially when impacted by the ball near the area of the bat that thins out.

The biggest factor is actually science......

bill_83eaea_845096.jpg

Forum List

Back