Why should calling an otherwise illegal practice a religious practice make it legal?

So the short answer is the State is denying no one. The faghadist and everyone else has 119 places to get a license. The individual performance of an elected official is a State concern, not the feds.

I guess that's why the governor released this statement.

Governor Beshear Releases Statement On Clerks Refusing To Issue Marriage Licenses
"Our county clerks took an oath, as elected officials, to uphold the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of Kentucky and to provide important duties in their communities. This oath does not dictate what our clerks must believe, but it certainly prescribes how they must act in carrying out their duties as elected officials. Same-sex couples in Kentucky are now entitled to the issuance of a marriage license by every county clerk, based on Friday’s ruling by the United States Supreme Court. While there are certainly strongly held views on both sides of this issue, the fact remains that each clerk vowed to uphold the law regardless of his or her personal beliefs. I appreciate the clerks who are fulfilling their duties, issuing licenses to all couples, and I would expect others to execute the duties of their offices as prescribed by law and to issue marriage licenses to all Kentuckians.” reads the statement by Gov. Steve Beshear.

So I guess you're agreeing that it is a State matter?

Actually it is both, with federal law having greater authority. The governor agrees with federal law as well.

Broken record, she hasn't discriminated against anyone, the feds have no business meddling in State matters.

She's a marriage license issuer in an official capacity. Marriage is a constitutionally protected right in this country.

States cannot ignore the Constitution.

She may issue marriage licenses in her official capacity, is there a law saying she must do so? Or is the court going to invent one?

The Davis case is once more a tsunami of RWnut misinformation, misunderstanding, and outright dishonesty.

What a sad bunch of people you people are.

Governor Beshear Releases Statement On Clerks Refusing To Issue Marriage Licenses
"Our county clerks took an oath, as elected officials, to uphold the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of Kentucky and to provide important duties in their communities. This oath does not dictate what our clerks must believe, but it certainly prescribes how they must act in carrying out their duties as elected officials. Same-sex couples in Kentucky are now entitled to the issuance of a marriage license by every county clerk, based on Friday’s ruling by the United States Supreme Court. While there are certainly strongly held views on both sides of this issue, the fact remains that each clerk vowed to uphold the law regardless of his or her personal beliefs. I appreciate the clerks who are fulfilling their duties, issuing licenses to all couples, and I would expect others to execute the duties of their offices as prescribed by law and to issue marriage licenses to all Kentuckians.” reads the statement by Gov. Steve Beshear.

Actually it is both, with federal law having greater authority. The governor agrees with federal law as well.

Broken record, she hasn't discriminated against anyone, the feds have no business meddling in State matters.

She's a marriage license issuer in an official capacity. Marriage is a constitutionally protected right in this country.

She may issue marriage licenses in her official capacity, is there a law saying she must do so? Or is the court going to invent one?

She hasn't resigned her position.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statutes/statute.aspx?id=36473

Even with "shall issue", she has a problem. And since by not issuing she is denying the civil rights of the people who pay her salary, she also has a problem.

Really, where does he get the authority to issue work permits to people not eligible for them by law?
Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Right here, although the fight over this is ongoing.

And tell me again which immigration LAW these policies are implementing?
Common sense, human decency, you wouldn't understand...

Surrender noted!
As I said, you wouldn't understand. It's an enforcement issue but I have no disagreement with you that technically they cannot work here legally. Does that help you out?

But you don't care that he's violating the law by issuing the work permits, then in post #73 you started giving the same reasons Kim Davis did not issuing marriage licenses. Haven't you been arguing against that kind of reasoning this whole thread?

And that has what to do with my questions?

I'd still like to get to the bottom of the question of why religion is a legitimate reason to skirt constitutional non-discrimination mandates,

but simple personal opinion isn't.

She was elected and took an oath of office to be a county clerk that in the state of Kentucky is where couples go to exercise their constitutional right to be married.

She is now denying people their constitutional right.

Even with "shall issue", she has a problem. And since by not issuing she is denying the civil rights of the people who pay her salary, she also has a problem.

The law does not require her to issue the license unless the female resides in her county and is under 18yoa. And it's up to the people of her county to decide if they approve of her job performance or not. That's what election are for.

Surrender noted!
As I said, you wouldn't understand. It's an enforcement issue but I have no disagreement with you that technically they cannot work here legally. Does that help you out?

But you don't care that he's violating the law by issuing the work permits, then in post #73 you started giving the same reasons Kim Davis did not issuing marriage licenses. Haven't you been arguing against that kind of reasoning this whole thread?
I would prefer that both of them obey the letter and the spirit of the law, in the final analysis. One is being fought over, and the other is a done deal. If you are for Law and Order, you don't like Obama's actions but you don't like Davis's either? His could be called breaking the "letter of the law" but not the spirit, and hers breaking "spirit of the law" but not the letter, in most cases. As the Executive, has a great deal more breathing room than she does, and she has a couple of ways out, and isn't exercising them...

The law does not require her to issue the license unless the female resides in her county and is under 18yoa. And it's up to the people of her county to decide if they approve of her job performance or not. That's what election are for.
We don't have mob rule here. And if it was necessary to find a female under 18 with permission to marry, who couldn't get a license there because of Davis's stance, which wouldn't be hard, she'd be fucked anyway.

She was elected and took an oath of office to be a county clerk that in the state of Kentucky is where couples go to exercise their constitutional right to be married.

That's a lie. They can get a license anywhere in the State, the link PMH posted says she is not required to issue the license, it says she may.

Got to go, you lefties are entertaining losers, been fun.

That's a lie. They can get a license anywhere in the State, the link PMH posted says she is not required to issue the license, it says she may.

If the female is 18 or older, or a widow, she can get a license from another country, there's just no need for her to do so. That is why Davis sits in jail...

Surrender noted!

I would prefer that both of them obey the letter and the spirit of the law, in the final analysis. One is being fought over, and the other is a done deal. If you are for Law and Order, you don't like Obama's actions but you don't like Davis's either? His could be called breaking the "letter of the law" but not the spirit, and hers breaking "spirit of the law" but not the letter, in most cases. As the Executive, has a great deal more breathing room than she does, and she has a couple of ways out, and isn't exercising them...

Davis, unlike your dear leader is not violating any law, you provided proof of that, well unless a female under 18 is involved, how often is that the case? Maybe KY should change the law, then you would have an argument.

Surrender noted!

Davis, unlike your dear leader is not violating any law, you provided proof of that, well unless a female under 18 is involved, how often is that the case? Maybe KY should change the law, then you would have an argument.
What she violated was a court order, that's why she's in jail.

Since issuing marriage licenses is part of her job, it's hardly a stretch to require her to do so eh?

If the female is 18 or older, or a widow, she can get a license from another country, there's just no need for her to do so. That is why Davis sits in jail...

Right, for doing nothing illegal, she just pissed off the wrong unelected lawyer by not bending over for him.

Surrender noted!

What she violated was a court order, that's why she's in jail...

A court order must be based in law, this one wasn't.

got to go.

If it's wrong to refuse a gay couple a marriage license,

it doesn't magically get right just because the issuer happens to be of some religion.

Right, for doing nothing illegal, she just pissed off the wrong unelected lawyer by not bending over for him.

Unelected judges protect the 2nd Amendment but you never bitch about that.

What she violated was a court order, that's why she's in jail...

A court order must be based in law, this one wasn't.

got to go.
It's based on a Supreme Court ruling, which is lawful...

Forum List

Back