Why People Make Minimum Wage

Liberalism can't be defended. Any system that promotes someone not earning something having more of a claim to it than the person that did is indefensible.

The way you guys think about this stuff is just sooo different from the way I do. Your arguments are always all about so and so is "taking" something from so and so, or this person doesn't have a right to get this or that person has a right to that...

None of that stuff even seems remotely relevant to me. The question I am always trying to answer is just whether a given policy creates more benefits than costs. Of course a loss of freedom, the hassle of dealing with regulation, etc., all count as costs. Certainly anything that encourages freeloading is a cost. But that cost/benefit approach seems like the only rational framework to tackle these kinds of questions in and I don't get the impression that hardly anybody on the right is even thinking in those terms at all.
Thats not important to them. People like them would swindle their own parents over money. There is a reason most cons are illiterate. They dont even know the golden rule about wealth.

You can't ask some kid to rack up $100k in student loans and then pay him $30K after he graduates and expect him to buy a home and start a family and retire with any amount of $.

If someone takes out that much in loans, they did so by choice. No one asked them to.

I just wrote out an entire response trying to look on the bright side but there is no bright side. The GOP are the enemy of the middle class and the middle class is just too stupid to know it yet. Or they realize it, vote the bums out, but then vote them right back in in 2 or 4 years. And how many Americans didn't even show up last night to vote? The American middle class is doomed.

And they say with all the gerimandering, it won't be until 2022 that the Democrats will even have a chance of taking the House back. Lets see how the GOP behave the next 2 years. It will be interesting.

Liberalism can't be defended. Any system that promotes someone not earning something having more of a claim to it than the person that did is indefensible.

The way you guys think about this stuff is just sooo different from the way I do. Your arguments are always all about so and so is "taking" something from so and so, or this person doesn't have a right to get this or that person has a right to that...

None of that stuff even seems remotely relevant to me. The question I am always trying to answer is just whether a given policy creates more benefits than costs. Of course a loss of freedom, the hassle of dealing with regulation, etc., all count as costs. Certainly anything that encourages freeloading is a cost. But that cost/benefit approach seems like the only rational framework to tackle these kinds of questions in and I don't get the impression that hardly anybody on the right is even thinking in those terms at all.
Thats not important to them. People like them would swindle their own parents over money. There is a reason most cons are illiterate. They dont even know the golden rule about wealth.

There is no golden rule about wealth except to bleeding hearts like you. The problem with your rule is that you apply to anyone but yourselves. To you, it's about how much you can get out of others.

I have heard rich like the Koch brothers explain how when they have as much money as they do, it's not about the tax break or $ at this point, it's about power. They may actually donate more to Republicans than they will even get back in tax breaks but that's not the point. It's the principle of it all. Its a game to them. The rich have owned governments throughout human history. America was maybe the first country that wasn't. But that is over.

There were many Founders who wanted George to be king and to rule just like every other country did. The rich didn't like Democracy and still don't. But I shouldn't be mad that they successfully play our dumb citizens. We are who we are.

The rich work because they are addicted. And they are obsessed with owning/controlling our government. Plus in some ways a lot of them actually believe they are better than the rest of us. I have seen people go from middle class to upper middle class and do this. I've also seen a few of them fall from grace and boy is it fun to watch. But then they get back on their feet and turn right back into the same asshole they were before. After the Bush Recession, I actually saw guys who said they would flip burgers before go on unemployment, go on unemployment. Boy how fast their attitude changed. Then they even applied for the extensions when the 6 months was up! AND they didn't look for a job 8 hours a day like they say they would. In fact they took trips! Wasting our tax dollars! LOL.

There is no golden rule about wealth except to bleeding hearts like you. The problem with your rule is that you apply to anyone but yourselves. To you, it's about how much you can get out of others.

The business owner is trying to maximize his profits and the workers are trying to maximize their wages/benefits.

I have identified an equation which exposes the real agenda of raising the minimum wage:

Higher Minimum Wage + My-Ra = Another funding source to expand federal debt and spending

Who can open a myRA? The accounts are targeted at the millions of low- and middle-income Americans who don't have access to employer-sponsored retirement plans. That includes roughly half of all workers and 75% of part-time workers.

The White House says it will "aggressively" encourage employers to offer the program, noting that they won't have to administer or contribute to the accounts. myRAs will initially be offered through a pilot program to workers whose employers sign on by the end of the year.

Once the program reaches full implementation, anyone who has direct deposit for their paycheck will be eligible to sign up, Treasury said.

All workers may invest in the accounts, including those who would like to supplement an existing 401(k) plan, as long as their household income falls below $191,000 a year.

How will the account work? The account will function as a Roth IRA, which allows savers to invest after-tax dollars and withdraw the money in retirement tax-free.

But unlike traditional Roth IRAs, the accounts will solely invest in government savings bonds. They will also be backed by the U.S. government, meaning that savers can never lose their principal investment....

How Obama s myRA retirement accounts will work - Jan. 29 2014

Think about it. If the current minimum wage is $9, and the feds increase it to the oft cited $15 "liveable wage", by requiring mandatory My-RA contribution, these low wage serfs will be forced to buy government bonds at low interest rates. The pols and the banksters make big money while the serfs fake additional income just loses value due to inflation.

Hopenchange!

Higher wages means more union dollars much of which ends up in the hands of Democrats.

Unions are very important to the Democratic party and the Democratic party is very important to unions.

Who lobbies for workers besides unions?

This is why the GOP wants to destroy unions. They will take down the Democrats if there are no more unions.

I've never had a union lobby for me. I've lobbied for myself based on what I offer not what some union extorts for. I guess those who can't do it own their own have to have a union do it for them.

If there were no unions, you wouldn't even know what you are worth. Unions fought for workers and brought our wages up. Without unions, you wouldn't even know your job is worth so much.

If you are making $100,000 k now, thank a union. Even if you weren't in a union, a rising tide lifts all boats.

In my day you graduated college with $5K student loan and got a $100K job. Today you graduate with $50K loan and get a $30K job. THAT is what you are worth my friend.

In fact if we were in a POW camp you'd work for me 10 hours a day for a potato. THAT is what you would be worth without unions or the labor movement schmuck.

You may not even realize it but maybe they helped your parents or grandparents. Even if you live in the south, unions helped you. How? Companies moved down south to avoid being unionized. We're ok with that. Just don't send the jobs to Mexico or China or India. And they pay such high wages in the southern toyota or honda plants because they don't want them unionizing. God bless unions.

Unfortunately poor young Americans are too stupid to organize. Hell, they won't even show up to vote. Fuck em!

I have identified an equation which exposes the real agenda of raising the minimum wage:

Higher Minimum Wage + My-Ra = Another funding source to expand federal debt and spending

Who can open a myRA? The accounts are targeted at the millions of low- and middle-income Americans who don't have access to employer-sponsored retirement plans. That includes roughly half of all workers and 75% of part-time workers.

The White House says it will "aggressively" encourage employers to offer the program, noting that they won't have to administer or contribute to the accounts. myRAs will initially be offered through a pilot program to workers whose employers sign on by the end of the year.

Once the program reaches full implementation, anyone who has direct deposit for their paycheck will be eligible to sign up, Treasury said.

All workers may invest in the accounts, including those who would like to supplement an existing 401(k) plan, as long as their household income falls below $191,000 a year.

How will the account work? The account will function as a Roth IRA, which allows savers to invest after-tax dollars and withdraw the money in retirement tax-free.

But unlike traditional Roth IRAs, the accounts will solely invest in government savings bonds. They will also be backed by the U.S. government, meaning that savers can never lose their principal investment....

Think about it. If the current minimum wage is $9, and the feds increase it to the oft cited $15 "liveable wage", by requiring mandatory My-RA contribution, these low wage serfs will be forced to buy government bonds at low interest rates. The pols and the banksters make big money while the serfs fake additional income just loses value due to inflation.

Hopenchange!

Higher wages means more union dollars much of which ends up in the hands of Democrats.

Unions are very important to the Democratic party and the Democratic party is very important to unions.

This is why the GOP wants to destroy unions. They will take down the Democrats if there are no more unions.

I've never had a union lobby for me. I've lobbied for myself based on what I offer not what some union extorts for. I guess those who can't do it own their own have to have a union do it for them.

If there were no unions, you wouldn't even know what you are worth. Unions fought for workers and brought our wages up. Without unions, you wouldn't even know your job is worth so much.

If you are making $100,000 k now, thank a union. Even if you weren't in a union, a rising tide lifts all boats.

In my day you graduated college with $5K student loan and got a $100K job. Today you graduate with $50K loan and get a $30K job. THAT is what you are worth my friend.

In fact if we were in a POW camp you'd work for me 10 hours a day for a potato. THAT is what you would be worth without unions or the labor movement schmuck.

You may not even realize it but maybe they helped your parents or grandparents. Even if you live in the south, unions helped you. How? Companies moved down south to avoid being unionized. We're ok with that. Just don't send the jobs to Mexico or China or India. And they pay such high wages in the southern toyota or honda plants because they don't want them unionizing. God bless unions.

Unfortunately poor young Americans are too stupid to organize. Hell, they won't even show up to vote. Fuck em!
If you took out 50k in loans to get a job that makes 30k... that's your fault. If you had picked a more useful degree you'd be making 2-3 times that amount for the same amount in loans. But yes, college has become too expensive. This, thanks to the government involvement in providing backing for low interest loans to make college available to all students.

Actually there is a golden rule about wealth. You dont know it because you arent wealthy. You exist to serve those that would brainwash you into thinking your lack is the result of someone else falling on hard times. People like you make good sheep.

Hopenchange!

If you took out 50k in loans to get a job that makes 30k... that's your fault. If you had picked a more useful degree you'd be making 2-3 times that amount for the same amount in loans. But yes, college has become too expensive. This, thanks to the government involvement in providing backing for low interest loans to make college available to all students.

I get it. If you are a ditch digger or any kind of worker, all you are worth is minimum wage. If you want more, go back to school or start your own company. Ok, so they go to school and get a business degree. Isn't that a good degree?

We all know right now many college grads are not finding work in the field they studied. And MANY of them that are finding jobs at places like Thomson Reuters that pay $30K salaries plus commission. 1 or 2 guys make 6 figures, most make 40-$50K. This is a HUGE company that employes a lot of people in Ann Arbor, MI. HUGE! Maybe Ann Arbors 2nd or 3rd largest company.

Anyways, I love it how when we point to how your economy sucks or doesn't work, you guys always make excuses. The world needs ditch diggers. So when we argue to raise the minimum wage, you say they should all go to school. When some of them do, you say instead of a communication or business degree, they should have become a doctor or start their own business. Not everyone's going to be a business owner. The world needs workers.

And so don't complain that the economy sucks then! If it sucks for you, go back to school. Last I checked Obama's economy was booming for anyone who has money. If you don't, that's not Obama's fault. It's yours.

Hopenchange!

Exactly. If someone takes out a loan to pursue a degree that, by the nature of what they can do with, only pays very little, it's not anyone else's fault nor anyone else's responsibility to offset those results.

Actually there is a golden rule about wealth. You dont know it because you arent wealthy. You exist to serve those that would brainwash you into thinking your lack is the result of someone else falling on hard times. People like you make good sheep.

And what's with these guys blaming Obama when for one thing, the economy is doing great for people who have money and good paying jobs and B, they say if you aren't happy with your station in life then YOU are responsible for you and all you need to do is go back to school or start your own company.

I even notice how Republicans in Michigan are going on and on about how great Snyder has done fixing the Michigan economy, but Republicans nationally won't admit that because then that would be admitting Obama's not doing a horrible job.

Instead they blame him for ISIS, just like they blamed him for the BP oil spill back in the 2010 midterms. God are Americans stupid.

Only in your mind does that rule apply.

I don't follow it because it doesn't exist. I'm 49 years old. Based on the wealth I've accumulated, I'll retire at 51 having paid for college for two children. Somehow you seem to think that I owe someone else's kids the same thing.

I exist to support my family and myself not someone else because the choices they made in life produced hard times.

And what's with these guys blaming Obama when for one thing, the economy is doing great for people who have money and good paying jobs and B, they say if you aren't happy with your station in life then YOU are responsible for you and all you need to do is go back to school or start your own company.

I even notice how Republicans in Michigan are going on and on about how great Snyder has done fixing the Michigan economy, but Republicans nationally won't admit that because then that would be admitting Obama's not doing a horrible job.

Instead they blame him for ISIS, just like they blamed him for the BP oil spill back in the 2010 midterms. God are Americans stupid.

People have good paying jobs because they have good skills. People make minimum wage because they offer minimum skills. No one doing a job requiring marketable skills has to worry about making minimum wage. They should be happy it's $7.25 because many do things that's not worth that much then complain someone won't pay them for doing a job one step above what a monkey could be trained to do.

Americans are stupid. 60+ million proved that in 2008 and 2012 when voting for skin color rather than qualifications. The problem is they got what they wanted but the rest of us have to suffer the consequences for their stupid decision.

I don't follow it because it doesn't exist. I'm 49 years old. Based on the wealth I've accumulated, I'll retire at 51 having paid for college for two children. Somehow you seem to think that I owe someone else's kids the same thing.

I exist to support my family and myself not someone else because the choices they made in life produced hard times.
Sorry son. That rule applies to most that understand about true wealth. There is a reason I could stop running my businesses today and I am younger than you. I didnt aske you to put someone elses kid through school even though that would be a good thing. I am telling you that you better pay your taxes so someone elses child can eat. Like I said before dont let me hear about you not paying your taxes.

Hopenchange!

That is absolute poppycock. Most people who work are not part of a union, and somehow they are able to negotiate their compensation and get paid.

It's telling that unions are part of the Big Government Extraction Process which feeds on the free people who work. They are parasites.

Hopenchange!

College has become a racket in which Big Higher Ed colludes with the Big Government and Big Banking to enrich themselves by turning gullible students into lifetime debt serfs.

Sorry son. That rule applies to most that understand about true wealth. There is a reason I could stop running my businesses today and I am younger than you. I didnt aske you to put someone elses kid through school even though that would be a good thing. I am telling you that you better pay your taxes so someone elses child can eat. Like I said before dont let me hear about you not paying your taxes.

ONLY in your simple mind.

Since I don't work for you, you don't tell me what to do. How about telling me face to face. You won't like what you hear.

Hopenchange!

That is absolute poppycock. Most people who work are not part of a union, and somehow they are able to negotiate their compensation and get paid.

It's telling that unions are part of the Big Government Extraction Process which feeds on the free people who work. They are parasites.

I see how well we are doing.

Bad news Wages are down for pretty much everyone - The Washington Post

Forum List

Back