Why People Make Minimum Wage

1st off, a basic business and/or marketing degree is.. not really a valuable degree. MBA from a good school, yes.

Second, there's nothing wrong with taking a 30k job after college getting experience, while you are looking for a better job. The key is not "settling." Do a good job get references, get your MBA and move up.

Third, 30k plus commission is not 30k, unless of course you are not very good at your job.

Oh so now it can't even be an MBA from a state school? Now it's your fault if you don't get an MBA from Harvard? You guys keep raising the bar on what Americans have to do in order to be happy.

While none of the recruiters think to waste your time at a less-than-prestigious graduate program....

Read more: Is The Cost Of An MBA Worth It - Business Insider
Degrees from top schools are worth more than degrees from the lower ranked schools. It's always been that way. This is not new news. Well, it's not new news to me. It's not just an MBA thing.

But we are just talking about the entry level jobs, and to some extent the pedigree factor used when people get promotions and such.

As a hiring manager and leader of people I've never held much stock in pedigree. I find people that come from the school of hard knocks are sometimes more eager to prove their worth.

You see there is a tendency of humans to coast on their pedigree. heh... My prior job I used to make it my mission to out do everyone that was from a top engineering school, lol.

You are completely missing my point. You guys say if a ditch digger doesn't like his job then go to school or start your own company. That is not possible for everyone in America to do. So your solution really isn't a solution. At least it is not a solution for the millions who are only qualified to be ditch diggers. Ditch diggers vote. How are you going to make life easier for ditch diggers.

People who went to Western Michigan University or University of Toledo spent a lot of money on their Communications or Marketing Degrees or History degrees or Music Degrees. Are you saying they are worthless or not worth what they cost? Why do so many Americans go? Is it a scam? So you are not solving the problem for these people. You are just telling these college educated young people who did what they were told to do that they fucked up. Any of them that didn't get engineering degrees from Harvard gets what they deserve.

I'm hoping the American people wise up by 2016. The GOP are going to destroy the American Middle class. This midterm was a big test and we failed.

Thank God we have the Obama Veto.
You are 100% wrong. It is possible for anyone to start their own company in the USA. Or maybe you can explain to me why it is not possible. People get worthless degrees because they are "easy" or "fun." It's not a scam to sell you what you want to buy.

Good luck getting a loan if you have no collateral or you don't have $200,000 to start. Sure you can tell me of the 1 in a million entrepreneur that did it, but I can show you 999,000 that didn't.

Or good luck competing with Walmart. Walmart killed the small business owners.

One more quick story to illustrate. My illegal immigrant grandfather got a loan from the milk man, cigarette vendor, egg guy, meat guy, etc and he started his own restaurant. America is a lot different now.

30 years ago everyone anywhere else in the world wanted to come to America. Not once exception. But today there are many other countries where it is better to be a middle class person. Upward mobility, social services, healthcare, schools, opportunities.

Today people in Seattle wish they were in Vancouver. What happened? The corporations broke the unions and sent all the jobs international. The American workers make too much compared to India, China, Mexico, Europe, Africa and they will even flood our internal market with illegals and use them to lower our wages that way too.

Why Middle-Class Americans Can t Afford to Live in Liberal Cities - The Atlantic

The American people didn't vote. Where were all the 20 somethings yesterday? They get what they deserve I guess. I head Flint, MI blacks voted for Snyder because he increased the number of cops in Flint. Good for him if he did that. If he's earning the black vote, good! I got no problem with that.

Today 550,000 start new businesses in America each month.

If you took out 50k in loans to get a job that makes 30k... that's your fault. If you had picked a more useful degree you'd be making 2-3 times that amount for the same amount in loans. But yes, college has become too expensive. This, thanks to the government involvement in providing backing for low interest loans to make college available to all students.

I get it. If you are a ditch digger or any kind of worker, all you are worth is minimum wage. If you want more, go back to school or start your own company. Ok, so they go to school and get a business degree. Isn't that a good degree?

We all know right now many college grads are not finding work in the field they studied. And MANY of them that are finding jobs at places like Thomson Reuters that pay $30K salaries plus commission. 1 or 2 guys make 6 figures, most make 40-$50K. This is a HUGE company that employes a lot of people in Ann Arbor, MI. HUGE! Maybe Ann Arbors 2nd or 3rd largest company.

Anyways, I love it how when we point to how your economy sucks or doesn't work, you guys always make excuses. The world needs ditch diggers. So when we argue to raise the minimum wage, you say they should all go to school. When some of them do, you say instead of a communication or business degree, they should have become a doctor or start their own business. Not everyone's going to be a business owner. The world needs workers.

And so don't complain that the economy sucks then! If it sucks for you, go back to school. Last I checked Obama's economy was booming for anyone who has money. If you don't, that's not Obama's fault. It's yours.
1st off, a basic business and/or marketing degree is.. not really a valuable degree. MBA from a good school, yes.

Second, there's nothing wrong with taking a 30k job after college getting experience, while you are looking for a better job. The key is not "settling." Do a good job get references, get your MBA and move up.

Third, 30k plus commission is not 30k, unless of course you are not very good at your job.

Where do you go after you work for the largest Tax & Accounting company in the world that pays better? The answer is you don't. What they pay is as good as it gets.

I read this article once about 20 somethings who wear white shirts to work and work in an office cubical but only make $30-$50K a year and have huge college loans are living at home with their parents, can't afford a home or a nice car, are in up to their ears in debt and yet they pretend to be middle class. I think they called them Trader Joe Middle Class fakers.

And I didn't need to read the article to know this. I know people like this. They were making more in the 1990's but are still on the GOP bandwagon because they don't realize it was the GOP that fucked this country over. They forgot. Just like they forgot how bad HW Bush was and voted in GW. And now they are going to vote in Jeb. IDIOTS!
Uhm... the democrats were and have been in charge. What did the democrats do to resolve any of said issues? Maybe the problem is both the democrats and the republicans. Maybe the problem is you thinking someone owes you an income.

I wish the Democrats would pull the same shit on the GOP that the GOP pulled on them. Unfortunately the Democrats don't get away with it like Republicans do. Republicans have it down to a science. Lie us into war? No, Support the Troops. And if we don't go along, we're the bad guys.

It could be because of the voters, 45% consider themselves "conservatives", 25% liberal and 30% independent. Those independents need to pick a side. They remind me of wishy washy agnostics. LOL. Choose a side god damn it! LOL
Huh? Why do you have everything upside down? The democrats were for the war before they were against the war before they came into power and became for the war again. I'm not sure if you have noticed but the war is on-going. And the leader of our country, you know the POTUS, the guy who runs our war machine... yeah that's Obama. Obama is a democrat, yes?

Oh so now it can't even be an MBA from a state school? Now it's your fault if you don't get an MBA from Harvard? You guys keep raising the bar on what Americans have to do in order to be happy.

While none of the recruiters think to waste your time at a less-than-prestigious graduate program....

Degrees from top schools are worth more than degrees from the lower ranked schools. It's always been that way. This is not new news. Well, it's not new news to me. It's not just an MBA thing.

But we are just talking about the entry level jobs, and to some extent the pedigree factor used when people get promotions and such.

As a hiring manager and leader of people I've never held much stock in pedigree. I find people that come from the school of hard knocks are sometimes more eager to prove their worth.

You see there is a tendency of humans to coast on their pedigree. heh... My prior job I used to make it my mission to out do everyone that was from a top engineering school, lol.

You are completely missing my point. You guys say if a ditch digger doesn't like his job then go to school or start your own company. That is not possible for everyone in America to do. So your solution really isn't a solution. At least it is not a solution for the millions who are only qualified to be ditch diggers. Ditch diggers vote. How are you going to make life easier for ditch diggers.

People who went to Western Michigan University or University of Toledo spent a lot of money on their Communications or Marketing Degrees or History degrees or Music Degrees. Are you saying they are worthless or not worth what they cost? Why do so many Americans go? Is it a scam? So you are not solving the problem for these people. You are just telling these college educated young people who did what they were told to do that they fucked up. Any of them that didn't get engineering degrees from Harvard gets what they deserve.

I'm hoping the American people wise up by 2016. The GOP are going to destroy the American Middle class. This midterm was a big test and we failed.

You are 100% wrong. It is possible for anyone to start their own company in the USA. Or maybe you can explain to me why it is not possible. People get worthless degrees because they are "easy" or "fun." It's not a scam to sell you what you want to buy.

Good luck getting a loan if you have no collateral or you don't have $200,000 to start. Sure you can tell me of the 1 in a million entrepreneur that did it, but I can show you 999,000 that didn't.

One more quick story to illustrate. My illegal immigrant grandfather got a loan from the milk man, cigarette vendor, egg guy, meat guy, etc and he started his own restaurant. America is a lot different now.

30 years ago everyone anywhere else in the world wanted to come to America. Not once exception. But today there are many other countries where it is better to be a middle class person. Upward mobility, social services, healthcare, schools, opportunities.

Today people in Seattle wish they were in Vancouver. What happened? The corporations broke the unions and sent all the jobs international. The American workers make too much compared to India, China, Mexico, Europe, Africa and they will even flood our internal market with illegals and use them to lower our wages that way too.

Why Middle-Class Americans Can t Afford to Live in Liberal Cities - The Atlantic

The American people didn't vote. Where were all the 20 somethings yesterday? They get what they deserve I guess. I head Flint, MI blacks voted for Snyder because he increased the number of cops in Flint. Good for him if he did that. If he's earning the black vote, good! I got no problem with that.
I started my two companies with nothing but effort.

yes ,and so did Apple. They call it sweat equity!

Explain to us all how that works. I bet it took more than just effort to get started. How did you come up with the money? Did you have a silent partner? Did you just sell your ass to gay men? Did the crack dealer front you your first rocks? Please explain how you started two companies with nothing but effort.

Republicans think they were born in the log cabin they built.

I get it. If you are a ditch digger or any kind of worker, all you are worth is minimum wage. If you want more, go back to school or start your own company. Ok, so they go to school and get a business degree. Isn't that a good degree?

We all know right now many college grads are not finding work in the field they studied. And MANY of them that are finding jobs at places like Thomson Reuters that pay $30K salaries plus commission. 1 or 2 guys make 6 figures, most make 40-$50K. This is a HUGE company that employes a lot of people in Ann Arbor, MI. HUGE! Maybe Ann Arbors 2nd or 3rd largest company.

Anyways, I love it how when we point to how your economy sucks or doesn't work, you guys always make excuses. The world needs ditch diggers. So when we argue to raise the minimum wage, you say they should all go to school. When some of them do, you say instead of a communication or business degree, they should have become a doctor or start their own business. Not everyone's going to be a business owner. The world needs workers.

And so don't complain that the economy sucks then! If it sucks for you, go back to school. Last I checked Obama's economy was booming for anyone who has money. If you don't, that's not Obama's fault. It's yours.

Where do you go after you work for the largest Tax & Accounting company in the world that pays better? The answer is you don't. What they pay is as good as it gets.

I read this article once about 20 somethings who wear white shirts to work and work in an office cubical but only make $30-$50K a year and have huge college loans are living at home with their parents, can't afford a home or a nice car, are in up to their ears in debt and yet they pretend to be middle class. I think they called them Trader Joe Middle Class fakers.

And I didn't need to read the article to know this. I know people like this. They were making more in the 1990's but are still on the GOP bandwagon because they don't realize it was the GOP that fucked this country over. They forgot. Just like they forgot how bad HW Bush was and voted in GW. And now they are going to vote in Jeb. IDIOTS!
Uhm... the democrats were and have been in charge. What did the democrats do to resolve any of said issues? Maybe the problem is both the democrats and the republicans. Maybe the problem is you thinking someone owes you an income.

I wish the Democrats would pull the same shit on the GOP that the GOP pulled on them. Unfortunately the Democrats don't get away with it like Republicans do. Republicans have it down to a science. Lie us into war? No, Support the Troops. And if we don't go along, we're the bad guys.

It could be because of the voters, 45% consider themselves "conservatives", 25% liberal and 30% independent. Those independents need to pick a side. They remind me of wishy washy agnostics. LOL. Choose a side god damn it! LOL
Huh? Why do you have everything upside down? The democrats were for the war before they were against the war before they came into power and became for the war again. I'm not sure if you have noticed but the war is on-going. And the leader of our country, you know the POTUS, the guy who runs our war machine... yeah that's Obama. Obama is a democrat, yes?

The GOP tried to get Clinton to invade Iraq but he wouldn't bite. Gore wouldn't have bit either so they had to steal the 2000 election because they were invading Iraq after the 2000 election no matter what.

Project for the New American Century - SourceWatch

And notice how McCain wanted to Bomb Bomb Bomb Iran? How do you think that would have worked out? Dumb fuckers.

And 8 out of 10 of them fail.

Five Reasons 8 Out Of 10 Businesses Fail - Forbes

Or 9 out of 10 fail if you ask Rand Paul

Do nine out of 10 new businesses fail as Rand Paul claims - The Washington Post

Getting a small business bank loan is never easy, and it’s been especially difficult since the financial crash of 2008 and the lingering credit crunch. Even though small business lending is rebounding somewhat, it is still virtually impossible to get a loan to open a new business.

Funding a New Small Business Don t Bother With Banks - Businessweek

Getting a small business bank loan is never easy, and it’s been especially difficult since the financial crash of 2008 and the lingering credit crunch. Even though small business lending is rebounding somewhat, it is still virtually impossible to get a loan to open a new business.

Funding a New Small Business Don t Bother With Banks - Businessweek

dear 550,000 a month manage. And Steve Jobs managed!! Think before you post.

Explain to us all how that works. I bet it took more than just effort to get started. How did you come up with the money? Did you have a silent partner? Did you just sell your ass to gay men? Did the crack dealer front you your first rocks? Please explain how you started two companies with nothing but effort.

I worked late nights writing software to run a particular type of business, then I sold the software for 3-10k per customer. Then I hired people to sell more and service my customer base. Any other questions?

I worked late nights writing software to run a particular type of business, then I sold the software for 3-10k per customer. Then I hired people to sell more and service my customer base. Any other questions?

Oh yea I forgot about you computer savvy people who can invent an app and get rich overnight. Good for you!

Not saying that it is impossible to be successful in America. Not yet anyways. They're making it harder and harder though. All those millions of high paid factory workers don't exist anymore. So there's one way out of poverty that doesn't exist anymore. A lot more people in America made a good life for themselves getting a good job in the Big 3 OR one of their suppliers and a lot of those jobs went away.

Just look at the statistics and facts. People aren't saving. People aren't making enough. People aren't finding jobs. Unemployment is too high. Too many college age kids can't afford college and the jobs aren't out there when they graduate. Sure there are jobs out there but they are not as many as their should be and they don't pay as well as they use to. Why? Because unions are basically non existent unless you work for the big 3. So every tier 1 2 or 3 factory job now pays less, even though EVERYTHING costs more.

Anyways, I know the rich and corporations love the way things are now. If you put your money in a bank you get 1% and if you are part of the investor class you are cleaning up. Like the good old days before the New Deal. Maybe one day the masses will wake up and vote. Lot more of us than there are you.

I have actually heard rich people defend my side of this debate. They admit something must be done and they also admit and explained all the reasons why your side is going to fight tooth and nail against it.

Not everyone can go become you or Bill Gates. I'm more worried about your workers and how much you are paying them. Are you paying them enough? I bet if you ask YOU you'll say yes but if you ask them I bet they feel they deserve more. Of course you disagree. LOL

Oh yea I forgot about you computer savvy people who can invent an app and get rich overnight. Good for you!

Not saying that it is impossible to be successful in America. Not yet anyways. They're making it harder and harder though. All those millions of high paid factory workers don't exist anymore. So there's one way out of poverty that doesn't exist anymore. A lot more people in America made a good life for themselves getting a good job in the Big 3 OR one of their suppliers and a lot of those jobs went away.

Just look at the statistics and facts. People aren't saving. People aren't making enough. People aren't finding jobs. Unemployment is too high. Too many college age kids can't afford college and the jobs aren't out there when they graduate. Sure there are jobs out there but they are not as many as their should be and they don't pay as well as they use to. Why? Because unions are basically non existent unless you work for the big 3. So every tier 1 2 or 3 factory job now pays less, even though EVERYTHING costs more.

Anyways, I know the rich and corporations love the way things are now. If you put your money in a bank you get 1% and if you are part of the investor class you are cleaning up. Like the good old days before the New Deal. Maybe one day the masses will wake up and vote. Lot more of us than there are you.

I have actually heard rich people defend my side of this debate. They admit something must be done and they also admit and explained all the reasons why your side is going to fight tooth and nail against it.
It took me man years of effort to build my enterprise base application. It was not what you would call an app by any measure. It is about 100k lines of code 100 + various screens, handling everything from accounting to policy management of small medium and large insurance companies. Not a get rich overnight venture by any means.

As for the issue of jobs that are in shorter supply than prior decades... there are some issues that need to be addressed, but I'm not sure you brought up any of them or tied me to them. Rather it looks like you are somehow blaming me for your?? particular situation.

It took me man years of effort to build my enterprise base application. It was not what you would call an app by any measure. It is about 100k lines of code 100 + various screens, handling everything from accounting to policy management of small medium and large insurance companies. Not a get rich overnight venture by any means.

As for the issue of jobs that are in shorter supply than prior decades... there are some issues that need to be addressed, but I'm not sure you brought up any of them or tied me to them. Rather it looks like you are somehow blaming me for your?? particular situation.

Nah, just trying to find an example that may cause you to relate or show empathy for the have nots. But I'm starting to realize they don't even care about themselves so they sort of deserve to make minimum wage. If they can't even show up to vote, fuck em.

Anyways, please stop thinking people are envious or jealous or want to take from you what you have worked hard for. Its called paying taxes. We all have to pay them. Don't ask a guy making $25K a year to pay more so you can pay less. That makes you a dick. Politically that is. You seem like you are probably a nice person otherwise. I have lots of Republican friends. I'm just a flaming liberal but they know I'm a great guy otherwise and I know they are good people despite being greedy ignorant or both.

Not everyone can go become you or Bill Gates. I'm more worried about your workers and how much you are paying them. Are you paying them enough? I bet if you ask YOU you'll say yes but if you ask them I bet they feel they deserve more. Of course you disagree. LOL
I sold one of my two companies. For that company I paid my labor rate employees as little as I could, which is whatever minimum amount a good employee would take at the time. For sales I paid the going rate for commission. For a few they that were worth more to me, they became partners in the ownership of the company and we're paid very very well.

My other company .. well I'm the only one on the payroll for that one atm. I'm waiting for liberty to return in this country, and frankly if it doesn't I'm not gonna make the effort to grow beyond a one man operation. I have no interest in forking money over to the feds for redistribution programs. Out of principle, I'm not gonna bother to build up this company. I have all the money I need and democrats have managed to take all the fun out of building wealth. You guys think the rich are evil... fine. I'll stop investing.

I work when I want for as much income as I want to earn. I can stop working and retire now at 51 or I can continue doing what I'm doing... or I could go after the big bucks. Meh... you can't buy time back. I'm enjoying what you might call an early retirement.

I sold one of my two companies. For that company I paid my labor rate employees as little as I could, which is whatever minimum amount a good employee would take at the time. For sales I paid the going rate for commission. For a few they that were worth more to me, they became partners in the ownership of the company and we're paid very very well.

My other company .. well I'm the only one on the payroll for that one atm. I'm waiting for liberty to return in this country, and frankly if it doesn't I'm not gonna make the effort to grow beyond a one man operation. I have no interest in forking money over to the feds for redistribution programs. Out of principle, I'm not gonna bother to build up this company. I have all the money I need and democrats have managed to take all the fun out of building wealth. You guys think the rich are evil... fine. I'll stop investing.

I work when I want for as much income as I want to earn. I can stop working and retire now at 51 or I can continue doing what I'm doing... or I could go after the big bucks. Meh... you can't buy time back. I'm enjoying what you might call an early retirement.

Good for you. I knew a lot of people who worked hard from 18 to 48 at one of the big 3, saved their money, paid off their homes, had good healthcare benefits , got a pension for working 30 years. Plus ss? These people's spending made the economy work. Basically hundreds of thousands of men and women did what you did with less ever since the auto workers unionized. That was what created such a big huge middle class. But the owners, ceo's and investors didn't like paying us so much. Clearly you have agreed you paid only what you had to pay your employees.

I would take hundreds of thousands of people making a good living over your America where they all make shit and only you owners make a decent living. Problem is only rich people vote every 2 years so you win. Until the poor and middle class decide to vote, they/we lose.

Nah, just trying to find an example that may cause you to relate or show empathy for the have nots. But I'm starting to realize they don't even care about themselves so they sort of deserve to make minimum wage. If they can't even show up to vote, fuck em.

Anyways, please stop thinking people are envious or jealous or want to take from you what you have worked hard for. Its called paying taxes. We all have to pay them. Don't ask a guy making $25K a year to pay more so you can pay less. That makes you a dick. Politically that is. You seem like you are probably a nice person otherwise. I have lots of Republican friends. I'm just a flaming liberal but they know I'm a great guy otherwise and I know they are good people despite being greedy ignorant or both.
When I go to eat dinner I don't expect to get a higher bill for my food than the guy next to me. If it's a friend of mine eating at my table my hand goes up first to pay the bill. Get the difference?

You are not one of my close friends, thus you asking me to pay more for my dinner than you do well that's not right.

Until the poor and middle class decide to vote, they/we lose.

dear what would they vote for? To steal money from the rich? Govt is not a vehicle to make theft legal. If you don't want the rich to have money stop buying their products.

When I go to eat dinner I don't expect to get a higher bill for my food than the guy next to me. If it's a friend of mine eating at my table my hand goes up first to pay the bill. Get the difference?

You are not one of my close friends, thus you asking me to pay more for my dinner than you do well that's not right.

Then argue with the progressive tax system we have in America. And from what I see, a lot of you guys with your high priced accountants aren't even paying anything in taxes.

What did Buffet say? He pays less % in taxes than his secretary? LESS? Romney pays less because he doesn't work for his money his money works for him? Bullshit! That'll eventually change.

The more you talk the more I realize you are only pretending to be one of the haves.

Forum List

Back