Why Obama is wrong when he says business needs the government

You realize that government stepped in to assume the role of law enforcement right? Was not unusual for the property owners to resolve that on scene in the past.

Of course they do! Any time there is a break in and police learn of it, they attempt to enforce the law by apprehending the suspect.

No, it doesn't. You attempted to deny that the government enforces property rights -a claim that is, on its face, wholly inaccurate and wrong. In fact, the most basic function of government is to enforce and protect intellectual and physical property rights.

You are either incredibly naive or really stupid.
Very well reasoned and detailed response their, windbag.

I think you meant "there" but i cannot be sure.

So when someone breaks into a store and steals physical property, the people you call to reclaim your merchandise and catch the thief, the ones carrying guns and tasers, aren't government employees?

I'm not sure which country you live in, but here in the United States the police are government employees funded by tax dollars. YRMV.

Where were those cops when the alarm the owner bought from a private company went off?

Waiting for the alarm to go off.

The owner probably gave the cops the surveillance tape from the camera that he bought from a private company. Then he called his private insurance company to cover the cost of his losses.
I'm afraid you think you have a point. When it comes time to arrest the perp and try him for his crimes, will that be a private sector function? OR does government enforce private property rights. (hint: in the United States, the government enforces private property rights. YRMV)

Without the police individuals would understand that protection of their property was theirs and they would be blowing away anyone who robbed them. Like they used to track down horse thieves and hang them on the spot. The police were not developed to protect individuals, but to keep social order. You see the breakdown in social order in Chicago where the police are useless in preventing any kind of criminal activity in the cycle of revenge and payback.

I would love to see the business climate if government didn't enforce physical or intellectual property rights.

Rightwing nirvana!

The government doesn't enforce those rights. They determine who has them and what damages are due through litigation brought by businesspersons.

So when someone breaks into a store and steals physical property, the people you call to reclaim your merchandise and catch the thief, the ones carrying guns and tasers, aren't government employees?

I'm not sure which country you live in, but here in the United States the police are government employees funded by tax dollars. YRMV.

It seems we have many in this nation, that does not understand the difference between State Government workers and Federal Government workers.
Police, Fire and Teacher's are State Government workers.
Their salaries are paid by each city and their pensions are paid for by the state, not the Feds.

The defendant has to hire his own private lawyer, unless he can't afford one. Oh, and you seem to have overlooked the innocent until proven guilty part.

Yes, he has to hire his own lawyer to defend himself against enforcement by the state. He also is presumed innocent by the government-run court until he his proven guilty in a government-run court tasked with enforcing the law.

And if he's convicted? He gets a sentence handed down by a government employee using guidelines created by the government.

You realize that government stepped in to assume the role of law enforcement right? Was not unusual for the property owners to resolve that on scene in the past.

So now we've come full circle from "The government doesn't enforce those rights" to "Well, there was this time in the past (and in Somalia today) where private citizens resolved enforcement on their own"

We don't live in that time or place.

The government doesn't enforce those rights. They determine who has them and what damages are due through litigation brought by businesspersons.

It seems we have many in this nation, that does not understand the difference between State Government workers and Federal Government workers.
Their salaries are paid by each city and their pensions are paid for by the state, not the Feds.
I haven't the slightest idea what point you're making. State and local governments fund state and local property right enforcement services. The federal government funds national property rights enforcements.

That doesn't change the facts. And one of those facts is this: Enforcement of property rights is a role of government.

And that's incorrect.

The Federal government funds many of the states that can't meet payrolls. And they are mainly red states.

Henry Ford didn't need roads at all. Building roads was in response to the cars, not the other way around.

Wow.

Amazing.

Was Henry Ford making cars before 1722? Or are the lines on this map just property marks?

bonner-map.jpg

So now we've come full circle from "The government doesn't enforce those rights" to "Well, there was this time in the past (and in Somalia today) where private citizens resolved enforcement on their own"

We don't live in that time or place.

Still doesn't make the case that business needs government. If anything, government has always needed business.

So, you would prefer I resolve a dispute with you by just shooting you in the head and taking your property.

I wonder what Henry Ford would have thought if he would have heard these words coming out of a president of the U.S. ?

Henry would have thought President Obama is far too liberal. Henry Ford frowned on heavy drinking, gambling, and what might today be called "deadbeat dads". Ford's Social Department used 50 investigators, plus support staff, to maintain employee standards; a large percentage of workers were able to qualify for this "profit-sharing."

Ford's incursion into his employees' private lives was highly controversial.

wikipedia

Yeah, the Conservative Ford would be upset that President Obama wasn't into prying into the private lives of citizens in order to keep them moral and ethical -- company men and women.

Ford also believed that smart managers had an incentive to do right by their workers, because doing so would maximize their own profits.
So he also believed in Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny, The Tooth Fairy, and The Second Coming.

So Henry Ford trying to ensure he had good, capable workers was a bad thing?? What's the difference in what he did and background and drug testing today??

Forum List

Back