Why Obama is wrong when he says business needs the government

Why does Quantum Windbag hate the people who are sworn to defend and protect America?

You quoted from FOX or the White House speech?

What did you quote? Something fully out of context? You tried implying the President was talking about what government does better than individuals.

And The Golden Gate Bridge and Highway District, authorized by an act of the California Legislature, was incorporated in 1928 as the official entity to design, construct, and finance the Golden Gate Bridge. The Golden Gate Bridge was financed with Municipal Bonds. It was not a private project. The War Department fought it because of national security.

Why do you, Quantum Windbag, hate the people who are sworn to defend and protect America?

----

Quasi-dope gets it wrong yet again.

History is full of examples of people like Quasi-doe-doe misrepresenting things or being gullible enough to put forth myth, lie, deceit as fact. Take this thread OP for an example. A thread linked to a post on a -- gulp -- goofy blog, which itself is a ripoff of a -- you guessed it , FOX News liability...

here is what the President really said:

OBAMA: [L]ook, if you've been successful, you didn't get there on your own. You didn't get there on your own. I'm always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business -- you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don't do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That's how we funded the GI Bill. That's how we created the middle class. That's how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. That's how we invented the Internet. That's how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and that's the reason I'm running for President -- because I still believe in that idea. You're not on your own, we're in this together.

the above disservice brought to you by FOX and Friends: Fox & Friends Deceptively Edits Obama's Comments On Small Business

Apparently you cannot read, here is my link. I could be wrong, but I am willing to bet you it isn't Fox.

Remarks by the President at a Campaign Event in Roanoke, Virginia | The White House

So you quoted from the White House speech. You quoted something fully out of context. You tried implying the President was talking about what government does better than individuals, rather than what the President was actually speaking about -- individuals and American greatness.

okay. thanks for admitting your thread is bullshit. :badgrin:

Tell you what, put this into context for me. Tell me how hard work and intelligence isn't what makes people successful.

I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

Especially when you consider that he tried to argue exactly the opposite earlier.

And what this reminded me of was that, at the heart of this country, its central idea is the idea that in this country, if you’re willing to work hard, if you’re willing to take responsibility, you can make it if you try. (Applause.) That you can find a job that supports a family and find a home you can make your own; that you won’t go bankrupt when you get sick. That maybe you can take a little vacation with your family once in a while -- nothing fancy, but just time to spend with those you love. Maybe see the country a little bit, maybe come down to Roanoke. (Applause.) That your kids can get a great education, and if they’re willing to work hard, then they can achieve things that you wouldn’t have even imagined achieving. And then you can maybe retire with some dignity and some respect, and be part of a community and give something back. (Applause.)

What fracking context does a speech have that contradicts itself? How is that hard work will help you be a success all on your own unless you own a business?

Go ahead, put it into context for me, I dare you.

Unlike you, I actually read the speech, I didn't get my context from the news, I got it from him.

Why Obama is wrong when he says business needs the government

This thread is hilarious on sooo many levels. I can only imagine businesses interacting without any government controls. I can only imagine consumers interacting without any government controls.

I've seen several posts bemoaning what Obama said about businesses.

I just haven't seen where he was, specifically, talking about government.

He merely said they didn't get there on their own.
They didn't.
Without a demand and a customer base there wouldn't have been a reason to start their business.

I've been wrong before.....ask my wife.
But I just don;t see where he was giving government the credit.

Are you trying to tell me that when he starts listing all those projects, like the Hoover Dam, the highways, and the railroads, and claims that they were not built by business, he wasn't trying to give government the credit? How, exactly, do you come to that conclusion?

Did you ever think that he was talking about public works? Sure...Public Works projects are commissioned by the government and paid for with OUR tax dollars, but the work is done by people....oft times by private contractors...who make(gasp) a profit in doing so. The rest of the country(state,locality) gets to use those public works.

only you guys with blinders on want to make it about Obama "bashing business"

Did you read my OP? I chose a specific example of something he claimed was built by the government and demonstrated how the government worked against it every step of the way. The Golden Gate bridge was built despite the government, not because of it, it was built with private funds, and came in under budget.

He was wrong, whatever he thought he was saying.

FEDERAL TROOPS? WHAT FEDERAL TROOPS?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In any case..the Constitution provides that same sort of power to the Federal government in this country.

Actually, it doesn't. Even if it did, it would be illegal, and every member of the military knows it.

:lol:

Section 8 - Powers of Congress

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;
The shit you guys DON'T know about a document you profess to love so much..is amazing.

You think the citizens of Somalia that are minding their own business before they are slaughtered by government troops are involved in an insurrection?

Do you also think that the government is hiding aliens in Nevada?

1) Tell you what, put this into context for me. Tell me how hard work and intelligence isn't what makes people successful.

Obama said:
I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

2) Especially when you consider that he tried to argue exactly the opposite earlier.

Obama said:
And what this reminded me of was that, at the heart of this country, its central idea is the idea that in this country, if you’re willing to work hard, if you’re willing to take responsibility, you can make it if you try. (Applause.) That you can find a job that supports a family and find a home you can make your own; that you won’t go bankrupt when you get sick. That maybe you can take a little vacation with your family once in a while -- nothing fancy, but just time to spend with those you love. Maybe see the country a little bit, maybe come down to Roanoke. (Applause.) That your kids can get a great education, and if they’re willing to work hard, then they can achieve things that you wouldn’t have even imagined achieving. And then you can maybe retire with some dignity and some respect, and be part of a community and give something back. (Applause.)

What fracking context does a speech have that contradicts itself? How is that hard work will help you be a success all on your own unless you own a business?

Unlike you, I actually read the speech, I didn't get my context from the news, I got it from him.

1) President Obama did not say hard work and intelligence isn't what makes people successful. He said it is not enough, that hard working people who are smart also got a helping hand along the way. That is always true. If there are any exceptions to this rule the number is infinitesimal in the great scheme of things. President Obama said "The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."

do you disagree with the above? :eusa_whistle:

2) What did the President try to argue earlier other than what he restated in other words? There is no argument the President takes that is in opposition to anything else he said.

You're imagining things again. You keep hearing what you think people say rather than hearing what they actually say. It's okay. It's part of the Wingnut Syndrome.

Last edited:
Did you read my OP? I chose a specific example of something he claimed was built by the government and demonstrated how the government worked against it every step of the way. The Golden Gate bridge was built despite the government, not because of it, it was built with private funds, and came in under budget.

That's just it. You have a few facts wrong. When they are pointed out to you you either ignore them or lash out angrily. You also have an issue with reading and comprehension. You read the word 'blue' and you insist the word is 'white'

I wonder what Henry Ford would have thought if he would have heard these words coming out of a president of the U.S. ?

1) Tell you what, put this into context for me. Tell me how hard work and intelligence isn't what makes people successful.

Obama said:

2) Especially when you consider that he tried to argue exactly the opposite earlier.

Obama said:

1) President Obama did not say hard work and intelligence isn't what makes people successful. He said it is not enough, that hard working people who are smart also got a helping hand along the way. That is always true. If there are any exceptions to this rule the number is infinitesimal in the great scheme of things. President Obama said "The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."

do you disagree with the above? :eusa_whistle:

2) What did the President try to argue earlier other than what he restated in other words? There is no argument the President takes that is in opposition to anything else he said.

You're imagining things again. You keep hearing what you think people say rather than hearing what they actually say. It's okay. It's part of the Wingnut Syndrome.

1. Are you saying I faked the quote from his speech? I gave you the link, go there and show me what he actually said.
  2. Are you saying that when he argued against the mandate in 2008 he was actually arguing for it?
I suggest you go back to arguing with yourself, you will always win that way.

That's just it. You have a few facts wrong. When they are pointed out to you you either ignore them or lash out angrily. You also have an issue with reading and comprehension. You read the word 'blue' and you insist the word is 'white'

No one has pointed out a single fact I have wrong. They, like you, say that the president did not mean what he said, that he actually meant something else, and that he was actually praising businesses.

That is not a fact, that is an opinion. Feel free to actually defend you opinion if you can. Before you post that stupid story about Fox again look up appeal to authority, then come back and present some facts.

Lay out facts like actual proof that roads are what make businesses successful. Keep in mind that I can point out the fact that 80% of new businesses fail, despite the fact that there are roads in front of those businesses too. Obviously roads aren't the key to a successful business. Neither are teachers, because most people go to school, but only a few actually build a successful business. Unless you think that the 80% of people who start a business and fail skipped school.

They didn't.
Without a demand and a customer base there wouldn't have been a reason to start their business.

Are you trying to tell me that when he starts listing all those projects, like the Hoover Dam, the highways, and the railroads, and claims that they were not built by business, he wasn't trying to give government the credit? How, exactly, do you come to that conclusion?

With those mentioned, in context, I see the connection.

But the majority of the partisan hacks and rags aren't putting his comments in that context.

It's getting portrayed as the small business owners - or even the bigger businesses that started small - that didn't get where they are without the government.

Telling us that people who built a business didn't really build that business is Bullshit.
He screwed the pooch big time on this.
He went too far...
But it gives us a valuable insight to this man Obama.
It only confirms what many of us here thought.
His disdain for the private sector....

They didn't.

Crap. What a dumb post. Almost all the major accomplishments in this nation have been done with a combination of government and private enterprise inputs. From the Interstate System to the Cross Continent railroads.

You idiots that espouse the idea that nothing government does is good are no differant than those that state that all businesses are evil.

I wonder what Henry Ford would have thought if he would have heard these words coming out of a president of the U.S. ?

Did they even have roads back then?

Not really. Did Henry Ford build the roads that were needed for his vehicles?

No, various government entities did, because that promoted business. And increased revenue. Another example of business and government cooperating to make things better for all.

They didn't.

With those mentioned, in context, I see the connection.

But the majority of the partisan hacks and rags aren't putting his comments in that context.

It's getting portrayed as the small business owners - or even the bigger businesses that started small - that didn't get where they are without the government.

Because that is how it comes across when you listen to the whole thing. He is pandering to the crowd he thinks is coming out to see him. Instead of pointing out that business is what drives the economy, and working to provide whatever it is that he thinks a business needs to succeed, he wants to hire more teachers.

They didn't.

Crap. What a dumb post. Almost all the major accomplishments in this nation have been done with a combination of government and private enterprise inputs. From the Interstate System to the Cross Continent railroads.

You idiots that espouse the idea that nothing government does is good are no differant than those that state that all businesses are evil.

I suggest you go back and read the OP.

Did they even have roads back then?

Not really. Did Henry Ford build the roads that were needed for his vehicles?

No, various government entities did, because that promoted business. And increased revenue. Another example of business and government cooperating to make things better for all.

The ones he drove, or the ones everyone else drove?

The Whiskey Rebellion points to the fact government needs business to support it and little else.

Forum List

Back