Why not get a warrant?

SpidermanTuba

Rookie
May 7, 2004
New Orleans, Louisiana
Why did Bush not bother to get warrants for his wiretaps? Especially after assuring us all, in 2004, that he was doing all wiretaps with warrants?

Application of a warrant by FISA court can be done in a snap. In fact, you can apply within 72 hours AFTER you made the tap.

If he is only targeting suspected terrorists, there's no reason to not get a warrant. None whatsoever.

So why didn't he get any?

SpidermanTuba said:
Why did Bush not bother to get warrants for his wiretaps? Especially after assuring us all, in 2004, that he was doing all wiretaps with warrants?

Application of a warrant by FISA court can be done in a snap. In fact, you can apply within 72 hours AFTER you made the tap.

If he is only targeting suspected terrorists, there's no reason to not get a warrant. None whatsoever.

It wasn't necessary and would have given notice to the enemy.

SpidermanTuba said:

If they are agents of a foreign power no court would have jurisdiction to give them a warrant. Much like you can't get a warrant to listen in on a Consulate Building, they are officially not in this nation.

SpidermanTuba said:

He didnt get them just to piss you off

SpidermanTuba said:

Is it getting harder to freely converse with your "friends" now? :rolleyes:

You only need to get a warrant if you plan to use the evidence in a court of law. If they don't plan to use it as such, why bother? Seems to me like a waste of paper, and aren't you liberals always trying to save stuff?

• Banned
no1tovote4 said:
If they are agents of a foreign power no court would have jurisdiction to give them a warrant. Much like you can't get a warrant to listen in on a Consulate Building, they are officially not in this nation.

The FISA court can most certainly issue warrants for the wiretapping of conversations between American citizens and foreigners.

SpidermanTuba said:
How exactly would a secret warrant issued by a court, the FISA court, whose records are sealed, give notice to the enemy?

Since the warrant can be obtained up to 72 hours AFTER the fact, isn't this really just whining about sloppy paperwork?

Cracks me up the way you libs try to attach such sinister motive to someone trying to protect your butt.

Hobbit said:
You only need to get a warrant if you plan to use the evidence in a court of law.

The above statement isn't even true, you just made it up. I'm afraid that arguing with facts that you have made up for the purposes of making your argument isn't very effective.

If they don't plan to use it as such, why bother? Seems to me like a waste of paper, and aren't you liberals always trying to save stuff?

If you believe judicial oversight is a waste of paper, you probably believe the Constitution is a waste of paper as well.

GunnyL said:
Since the warrant can be obtained up to 72 hours AFTER the fact, isn't this really just whining about sloppy paperwork?

No.

Cracks me up the way you libs try to attach such sinister motive to someone trying to protect your butt.

Hmm. I don't really see an answer to my question in there. Why did Bush fail to obtain warrants?

It appears the only answer the entire right wing contingent of US Message Board can come up with is that it was done to save paper. I personally find that to be rather absurd.

Perhaps I should be more specific.

Does anyone have any GOOD reasons for Bush to not obtain warrants?

SpidermanTuba said:
No.

Hmm. I don't really see an answer to my question in there. Why did Bush fail to obtain warrants?

It appears the only answer the entire right wing contingent of US Message Board can come up with is that it was done to save paper. I personally find that to be rather absurd.

Probably because your question is based on a misperception on your part. Bush did not fail to obtain warrants.

Bush did not obtain warrants because he believes he is within his powers as CinC of this Nation during a time of war to circumvent such bureaucratic nonsense when it is in the best interrest of National security.

SpidermanTuba said:
No.

I don't think Bush has ever applied for warrant.

SpidermanTuba said:
The above statement isn't even true, you just made it up. I'm afraid that arguing with facts that you have made up for the purposes of making your argument isn't very effective.

If you believe judicial oversight is a waste of paper, you probably believe the Constitution is a waste of paper as well.

The way liberals have destroyed its essence via judicial fiat, currently it is a waste of paper. Thank God conservatives are working and succeeding on restoring it to its glory and strength it was intended to be.

GunnyL said:
Probably because your question is based on a misperception on your part. Bush did not fail to obtain warrants.

Bush did not obtain warrants because he believes he is within his powers as CinC of this Nation during a time of war to circumvent such bureaucratic nonsense when it is in the best interrest of National security.

Why is it more secure? The FISA court is secret. All warrants would have been classified secrets, and sealed. Futhermore, if the wiretape was time sensitive, application for the warrant could have been delayed up to 72 hours after the start of the tap. To top it all off - warrants are hardly ever denied.

So getting the warrant wouldn't have made us any less secure.

Constitutionally, this is not a time of war. Congress did not declare war. Furthemore, nowhere in the Constitution does it state the President is above the law.

LuvRPgrl said:
The way liberals have destroyed its essence via judicial fiat, currently it is a waste of paper. Thank God conservatives are working and succeeding on restoring it to its glory and strength it was intended to be.

So in other words, you still have no answer to why Bush would not obtain warrants for these tapes?

SpidermanTuba said:
So in other words, you still have no answer to why Bush would not obtain warrants for these tapes?

I think it is time for you to go on another 'walk-about' ya are really starting to come up with silly arguments..take another two months and get back to nature...come back when your head is clear! :dunno:

MtnBiker said:
Timing and urgency could require action be taken before a warrant could be issued.

FISA allows the warrant to be applied for up to 72 hours AFTER the action is taken. So the timing in urgency argument is bunk because the law makes provisions for it.

The FACT of the matter is, folks, that there is no legitimate reason that Bush would fail to have warrants to obtained for these searchs. Therefore, the only logical conclusion is that some of the warrants were issused for illegitimate purposes. The only logical conclusion is that Bush feared at least some of the warrants would have been denied by a FISA court judge.

Forum List

Back