Why is this very OLD person driving a school bus???

WTF? Wow.

Still...he was 69. This kid is only 6 years old. Think of that. Only 6 years on this earth. She could have been maimed horribly..or killed. Thank God she wasn't.
That old codger should be fired immediately and the company sued for hiring the ol' coot that couldn't even see 3 feet to the right of him with a kid dangling from the door.

The driver should be tested, but we can't slap an age limit on driving that isn't justified.

Yeah....I always had that gripe when a cop pulled me over for not wearing a seat belt. I always said "when school buses get them, then I might wear mine. Until then, see ya in court. I have the time to spend there to waste time. Do you?" and I was always let go with a "warning".

WTF? Wow.

Still...he was 69. This kid is only 6 years old. Think of that. Only 6 years on this earth. She could have been maimed horribly..or killed. Thank God she wasn't.
That old codger should be fired immediately and the company sued for hiring the ol' coot that couldn't even see 3 feet to the right of him with a kid dangling from the door.
Granted...but when our DoD is sending geezers into combat zones, I'm afraid our security trumps the school bus concerns

I refuse to wear a seat belt. Instead, I bring it over my shoulder and tuck it between my legs.

WTF? Wow.

They are focusing more on the door design opening and not the age of the driver, which is of concern to me also, age of a CVA or HA could happen, but why is he not retired and let another young person have a job, at his age volunteer work is what he should be doing. His SS should be high enough to support him. I realize older people want to be active, but when they are working part time at MD's to get out of the house and socialize, its taking away jobs from younger people.

If a bus driver can't push the button on the left while looking to the right, there is a problem.

The driver should be tested, but we can't slap an age limit on driving that isn't justified.

If he had a valid driver's license he has been tested. Apparently the school officials that employed him found him competent to drive the bus. I agree there are some elderly that should not be driving, but that is determined by passing a written test, eye exam and driving test in most states.

Does anyone know if a commercial drivers license is required to drive school bus? The test is much stricter to get one of those.

Does anyone know if a commercial drivers license is required to drive school bus? The test is much stricter to get one of those.

I just completed a commercial driving school Thursday. Yes, absolutely a CDL is required. CDL class B with a P endorsement for passengers. Its easy to know what vehicles need what. Class A is any ARTICULATING vehicle such as an 18 wheeler. Class B is a straight vehicle like a school bus or concrete truck. Class C and D have to do with other types of vehicles and vehicles designed to carry Haz Mat. Class E is what you get when you drive a normal car.

Here is the catch. Once you pass the written and driving portions, there is nothing left to do but make sure it doesn't expire on you. You don't need "recurrency training" like with aircraft. This guy could have passed his driving class under the Carter administration and hasn't been tested since.

I just completed a commercial driving school Thursday. Yes, absolutely a CDL is required. CDL class B with a P endorsement for passengers. Its easy to know what vehicles need what. Class A is any ARTICULATING vehicle such as an 18 wheeler. Class B is a straight vehicle like a school bus or concrete truck. Class C and D have to do with other types of vehicles and vehicles designed to carry Haz Mat. Class E is what you get when you drive a normal car.

Here is the catch. Once you pass the written and driving portions, there is nothing left to do but make sure it doesn't expire on you. You don't need "recurrency training" like with aircraft. This guy could have passed his driving class under the Carter administration and hasn't been tested since.

Are you sure he wasn't required to have an eye test when renewing his license? You are in my state. Do you agree that the school officials that hired him were responsible for determining that he was capable of driving their bus as well as having a valid license.

Well I mean an eye test won't stop mistakes. School officials that hired him are only required to make sure he meets the minimum requirements. If the guy has no accidents on his record they have no reason to believe he would get into one.

Remember, there are many 30,000 hour pilots pushing up daisies right now because they screwed up. Anyone can make a mistake. Who is legally responsible for this accident is up to the courts to decide but I would lean much harder toward the driver than the school.

Forum List

Back