Why is this very OLD person driving a school bus???

Last edited:
The driver should be tested, but we can't slap an age limit on driving that isn't justified.

we
The driver should be tested, but we can't slap an age limit on driving that isn't justified.
Oh yes we can when our children are in their care.

age is a older age is a bad determining factor a better test is skill

the guy who control crashed the passenger jet into the Hudson river and everyone survived

was forced a month or so into retirement because of age not skill

Well I mean an eye test won't stop mistakes. School officials that hired him are only required to make sure he meets the minimum requirements. If the guy has no accidents on his record they have no reason to believe he would get into one.

Remember, there are many 30,000 hour pilots pushing up daisies right now because they screwed up. Anyone can make a mistake. Who is legally responsible for this accident is up to the courts to decide but I would lean much harder toward the driver than the school.

There are many 1,000 hour pilots pushing up daisies as well. I prefer experienced pilots when I fly.
I haven't heard if the bus driver is charged with a crime. If the parents sue, they will go after the school district since they have the deep pockets of the taxpayer. I also suspect they have insurance to cover any medical damages to the child.

There are many 1,000 hour pilots pushing up daisies as well. I prefer experienced pilots when I fly.

That's the point. You can have experience and still screw up. Experience can mean complacency .Which type of pilot do you feel has more experience? A weekend warrior that does an hour of touch and goes every weekend and has 500 hours or a pilot that has flown 2000 hours on long cross country flights? Most people say the latter, but its really the former. The 2000 hour pilot might have 1000 landings, the 500 hour pilot could easily have 3000. I know I have 111 hours flight time, but over 500 landings. You dont learn anything at cruise altitude.

Wait until someone rear ends you and your skull hits the rearview mirror, then you will. A concussion and 20 stitches later... I used to just wear mine loose.
I refuse to wear a seat belt. Instead, I bring it over my shoulder and tuck it between my legs.

Well I mean an eye test won't stop mistakes. School officials that hired him are only required to make sure he meets the minimum requirements. If the guy has no accidents on his record they have no reason to believe he would get into one.

Remember, there are many 30,000 hour pilots pushing up daisies right now because they screwed up. Anyone can make a mistake. Who is legally responsible for this accident is up to the courts to decide but I would lean much harder toward the driver than the school.

Old farts do get a break on dl testing so long as they don't have any moving violations. Which is the way it should be.

That's the point. You can have experience and still screw up. Experience can mean complacency .Which type of pilot do you feel has more experience? A weekend warrior that does an hour of touch and goes every weekend and has 500 hours or a pilot that has flown 2000 hours on long cross country flights? Most people say the latter, but its really the former. The 2000 hour pilot might have 1000 landings, the 500 hour pilot could easily have 3000. I know I have 111 hours flight time, but over 500 landings. You dont learn anything at cruise altitude.

Good point.

How many Airline pilots do you think get those cruise hours if he hasn't done thousands of landings? Many Airline pilots are weekend warriors and do that crash and dash training on the weekends as well as fly the line. As you may know, flying is hours and hours of boredom interrupted by moments of sheer terror.

If he had a valid driver's license he has been tested. Apparently the school officials that employed him found him competent to drive the bus. I agree there are some elderly that should not be driving, but that is determined by passing a written test, eye exam and driving test in most states.

Does anyone know if a commercial drivers license is required to drive school bus? The test is much stricter to get one of those.

Yes, and most states require a license over and above a typical CDL to drive a school bus! (I have a class B CDL with passenger endorsement, and cannot legally drive a school bus.) Also, anyone driving any bus has to have a medical card.

I used to drive buses...one of the drivers was 83. He regularly threaded a 45' highway coach through Boston and New York.

Does anyone know if a commercial drivers license is required to drive school bus? The test is much stricter to get one of those.

I just completed a commercial driving school Thursday. Yes, absolutely a CDL is required. CDL class B with a P endorsement for passengers. Its easy to know what vehicles need what. Class A is any ARTICULATING vehicle such as an 18 wheeler. Class B is a straight vehicle like a school bus or concrete truck. Class C and D have to do with other types of vehicles and vehicles designed to carry Haz Mat. Class E is what you get when you drive a normal car.

Here is the catch. Once you pass the written and driving portions, there is nothing left to do but make sure it doesn't expire on you. You don't need "recurrency training" like with aircraft. This guy could have passed his driving class under the Carter administration and hasn't been tested since.

Actually, many school buses are class C (no more than 26,000lbs) vehicles...but they need a CDL (C or better) due to having more than 15 seats. (A cutaway shuttle bus also needs a class C.) And again: commercial drivers have to pass a DOT physical regularly.

Oh yes we can when our children are in their care.
Oh NO we can't, as long as (like Blackrook said) the age limit isn't justified. There are 78 year olds who are more physically fit than some 22 year olds. There are 90 year olds who are in better shape. It just depends on the individual, and that's where the testing comes in.

ap_marathon_record_73444842.jpg

92-year-old runner Harriette Thompson became the oldest woman to complete a full 26.2-mile marathon Sunday in San Diego, finishing the Rock n Roll Marathon with a time of 7:24:36.
f_applause.gif
f_applause.gif
f_applause.gif
f_applause.gif
f_applause.gif

Take that you young whippersnappers. :laugh:

That is all fine and dandy. But the point you are missing is...that granny running the marathon is not in the middle of traffic in charge of 24 children aged 6 years old, driving a bus and not seeing one being dragged no more than 3 feet away from their view.

I give up. Fine. Send your grandkids on a field trip with that driver for all I care. Oy.

Granted...but when our DoD is sending geezers into combat zones, I'm afraid our security trumps the school bus concerns
I wasn't sent INTO a combat zone, and you've been corrected on that before. And you were also warned to stop talking ABOUT another poster. And I'd rather be with an honest 69 year old in a combat zone, than a dishonest young person.
BTW, you see the picture of Harriet Thompson who (at 92 years of age) ran for 7.5 HOURS in a 26 mile marathon (in Post # 36) ? You think you could do it for 7.5 MINUTES ?
smiley_ROFLMAO.gif

PS - right now at 69, I can play 4 musical instruments, all on a professional level. How many can you play ? (even amateurish)
PPS - Chuck Berry was still playing concerts up to a year ago (at age 88) and Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr still play concerts (all are in their 70s)

Check out this video of 72 year old Mick Jagger singing & jumping all over the stage. LOL.
Scroll up to 1:50 of the time bar.

Last edited:
That is all fine and dandy. But the point you are missing is...that granny running the marathon is not in the middle of traffic in charge of 24 children aged 6 years old, driving a bus and not seeing one being dragged no more than 3 feet away from their view.

I give up. Fine. Send your grandkids on a field trip with that driver for all I care. Oy.
She's also not some 20 something talking on a cell phone, or worse yet, texting while driving. I've even seen some young people with portable DVD players set up where the rear view mirror is supposed to be. Never saw anyone but a young person do that.

Forum List

Back