Zone1 How to Understand Yourself - Marcus Aurelius

progressive hunter

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2018
I have gone down the rabbit hole of stoics and other philisophical ideas from past times,

if you get into it on youtube you will get links from other channels,

I am finding it eye opening,,

I will post a few others I have ran across on this thread,,

Very useful and instructive OP , although I only listened to the first half -- am well acquainted with the Topic .
However , if you believe that personal development is on a small step by step basis , you need to be very careful about deceiving Normies ( let alone Sheeple) that major changes can be achieved in a single life .
That is , teaching that plants false or unrealistic expectations .

The Greeks seemed to understand this much better and the University Tutorial System pays homage to mentoring in a much watered down way .
imho .

I have gone down the rabbit hole of stoics and other philisophical ideas from past times,

if you get into it on youtube you will get links from other channels,

I am finding it eye opening,,

I will post a few others I have ran across on this thread,,

I was just like you when I was younger but then ST A's daming critique of them and ST Paul's transmutation of them

Marcus' Meditations has been translated many times. Here is a 2002 version by Hays:

https://dn790009.ca.archive.org/0/items/meditation-GeorgeHays/meditations-GeorgeHays.pdf

From Book 9:

1. Injustice is a kind of blasphemy. Nature designed rational beings for each other’s sake: to help—not harm—one another, as they deserve. To transgress its will, then, is to blaspheme against the oldest of the gods.
And to lie is to blaspheme against it too. Because “nature” means the nature of that which is. And that which is and that which is the case are closely linked, so that nature is synonymous with Truth—the source of all true things. To lie deliberately is to blaspheme—the liar commits deceit, and thus injustice. And likewise to lie without realizing it. Because the involuntary liar disrupts the harmony of nature— its order. He is in conflict with the way the world is structured. As anyone is who deviates toward what is opposed to the truth—even against his will. Nature gave him the resources to distinguish between true and false. And he neglected them, and now can’t tell the difference.

Forum List

Back