Why Is Theism Waning And Atheism Growing?

You are only one person, guano. Don't listen to the voices.

really? Jews think you goyim are not too bright

That's okay, Jews are traditionally really wrong about the important stuff.

" Three Jews who have recently converted to Christianity were having a drink together in a goyim country club. They started talking about the reasons for their conversions.

"I converted out of love," said the first, and noticing the dubious looks on his friends' faces, he continued: "Not for Christianity, mind you, but for a Christian girl. As you both know, my wife insisted that I convert."

"And I," said the second, "I converted in order to rise in the legal system. You probably know that my recent appointment as a federal judge may have had something to do with my new religion."

The third man spoke up: "I converted because I think that the teachings of Christianity are superior to those of Judaism."

"Are you kidding?" said the first man, spitting out his drink. "What do you take us for, a couple of goyim?"

Inspired by Guno's thread about declining 'religious affiliated' people the question occurs, why is one declining in popularity, and the other increasing?

Atheism doesn't promise good stuff for good people but rather absolute nothingness. Not much of a selling point there, yet it's becomming more popular, and the ones that do promise heaven or paradise are in their declines. Why would that be?

Might think because people gravitate to the truth, but I wouldn't agree they do that as evidenced by Christianity and Islam's 3.5 billion followers where Judaism, the initial religion latter ones are built from have only 14 million. If truth were always more attractive, there should be 3.5 bn Jews and only a few million other faiths.

Maybe it's the constant assertions of there's this being we call God who loves you, is all-powerful, and will reward you when you die...But we can't prove a word of it. GIven the choice between identifying as someone who believes that versus 'there is no God' maybe people are just choosing the more sensible option at last? Not necessarily the better option, just the more sensible one.

Actually the Christians have the Bible itself to tell them this would come to pass, so it is not a mystery at all to them though it may be a mystery to you. As far as proof of God's existence, Christians recognize that proof all around them. Christians see that proof each and every day. You just don't see it yourself.

Don't blame Christians for your lack of faith. You are an adult and have heard the gospel if you live anywhere in the United States. You have the internet, churches of all denominations, libraries, and more information available to you than has any generation in history. As an adult living in this time and age, you are responsible for your own self and your own life decisions. You cannot blame Christians or "the other persons". You cannot cry "victim".

Inspired by Guno's thread about declining 'religious affiliated' people the question occurs, why is one declining in popularity, and the other increasing?

Atheism doesn't promise good stuff for good people but rather absolute nothingness. Not much of a selling point there, yet it's becomming more popular, and the ones that do promise heaven or paradise are in their declines. Why would that be?

Might think because people gravitate to the truth, but I wouldn't agree they do that as evidenced by Christianity and Islam's 3.5 billion followers where Judaism, the initial religion latter ones are built from have only 14 million. If truth were always more attractive, there should be 3.5 bn Jews and only a few million other faiths.

Maybe it's the constant assertions of there's this being we call God who loves you, is all-powerful, and will reward you when you die...But we can't prove a word of it. GIven the choice between identifying as someone who believes that versus 'there is no God' maybe people are just choosing the more sensible option at last? Not necessarily the better option, just the more sensible one.

Actually the Christians have the Bible itself to tell them this would come to pass, so it is not a mystery at all to them though it may be a mystery to you. As far as proof of God's existence, Christians recognize that proof all around them. Christians see that proof each and every day. You just don't see it yourself.

Don't blame Christians for your lack of faith. You are an adult and have heard the gospel if you live anywhere in the United States. You have the internet, churches of all denominations, libraries, and more information available to you than has any generation in history. As an adult living in this time and age, you are responsible for your own self and your own life decisions. You cannot blame Christians or "the other persons". You cannot cry "victim".

Faith is typically defined as belief in evidence of things unseen. Yet though atoms were 'unseen' for a while after their discovery, we eventually saw them directly. But religious faith isn't in anything science can observe and prove thus not the same thing as scientificly valid evidence.

If God exists, science should be able to prove it. Science can't prove something that doesn't exist exists or doesn't exist. And that's where we're at with the God question. I'd lvoe there to be a benevolent all-powerful god who cares about me, unfortunately though there's not a single ounce of evidence science can substantiate suggesting there is. If that changes someday swell. But following a book's rules written thousands of years ago and from a culture we scoff at today absent anything empirical to setyour back against is foolish. Why thoat book and rules and not some other one like the Egyptians or Greeks? Just as convincing and 'real' as Christianity those pantheons.

If something's real, it can be proven and no one asks you to have faith in it because its' existence is irrefutable. Only when something isn't real does anyone expect you to have faith in it.

We'll eventually see God directly, too. Just because something isn't evident to you, now, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Faith is typically defined as belief in evidence of things unseen. Yet though atoms were 'unseen' for a while after their discovery, we eventually saw them directly. But religious faith isn't in anything science can observe and prove thus not the same thing as scientificly valid evidence.

If God exists, science should be able to prove it. Science can't prove something that doesn't exist exists or doesn't exist. And that's where we're at with the God question. I'd lvoe there to be a benevolent all-powerful god who cares about me, unfortunately though there's not a single ounce of evidence science can substantiate suggesting there is. If that changes someday swell. But following a book's rules written thousands of years ago and from a culture we scoff at today absent anything empirical to setyour back against is foolish. Why thoat book and rules and not some other one like the Egyptians or Greeks? Just as convincing and 'real' as Christianity those pantheons.

If something's real, it can be proven and no one asks you to have faith in it because its' existence is irrefutable. Only when something isn't real does anyone expect you to have faith in it.

Yes indeed, science is the last word. In my lifetime science first taught me that the dinosaurs were all cold-blooded animals. Behold, now they have backtracked and admitted that many were actually warm-blooded animals. For years scientist said the Mongolians crossed a land bridge and came to America and that the American Indians were that result. Next, some genius of scientist actually marveled that that land bridge could have also been crossed over in the opposite direction. LOL!! Sheer genius. Now, they have decided that there may have never been a land bridge at all. I was taught the "electron theory" which proclaimed that electrons flowed from negative to positive. Behold again. They have discovered the positron which totally negates the electron theory. Science cannot cure the common cold. Whether the common egg is good for one's consumption or not is constantly changing. With all our technology, the common ulcer can hardly be detected unless one is almost dying from one in his stomach.

Science once told us that illnesses were caused by tiny men inside our bodies, maliciously attacking us from within.

Science once told us that illnesses were caused by tiny men inside our bodies, maliciously attacking us from within.

Yeah. They killed a whole bunch of folks by bleeding them for everything. Once they even put leeches on folks. They've done lots of really crazy and downright stupid things. Most scientists have very little common sense.

Our country's census records over the decades have been showing declining numbers of those identified with religion. Whether it is declining globally, I can't say. However, those that I have spoken with are weary of the negativity of the Abrahamic religions.
As science continues to advance, it is leaving less and less room for the existence of deities.

Theism, and specifically, Christianity, is growing by leaps and bounds.

As we proved and discussed in guano's retardothread.

In America it is going away faster than ever before. Of course it'll take the longest for people in the poor ignorant bible belt but in the northeast and northwest people are being enlightened every day.

This is a great video if you have 10 minutes

Simply because you or the scientific community lack a complete understanding of something does not imply a theistic explanation carries any value. Even if there exists some topic on which science can never speak, any understanding could potentially evade us forever – supernatural or metaphysical speculation would not automatically be correct. Uncertainty is the most legitimate position.

Lightning, earthquakes, volcanos, disease, mental illness, speciation, planetary orbits and numerous other phenomena have been historically labelled ‘supernatural’ only to later be more thoroughly and elegantly explained by science. In fact, every mystery ever demonstrably solved has had a non-supernatural explanation. To suggest that science cannot or will not explain a phenomena, and that only theism can, is hubris of the highest order.

Using ‘god’ to explain something explains nothing. God’s supposed powers and how they work are a mystery. An explanation is intended to clarify and extend knowledge. Attributing a phenomenon to the magical powers of a supernatural being does neither. Worse still, this presumption acts to prevent any deeper investigation, being little more than a form of blissful ignorance.

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” – Charles Darwin

Science observes the physical universe, makes models of how it works and then refines those models through further observation. When something interacts with the physical universe, such as through light, motion, sound, heat, mass or gravity, it becomes a natural phenomena and thus open to scientific inquiry. If it does not interact with the physical universe then it cannot be said to exist in any meaningful or perceivable way. Furthermore, when supernatural claims become sufficiently nebulous one may ask if there is any substantive difference between them being true and nothing existing at all.

Proposing the existence of an entity or phenomena that can never be investigated via empirical, experimental or reproducible means moves it from the realm of reality and into the realm of unfalsifiable speculation. The inability of science to investigate or disprove such a hypothesis is not the same as proving it true and neither does it automatically lend credence to any metaphysical or theological argument. If such reasoning were actually permissible then one could claim anything imaginable to be real or true if only because it could not be proven false.

Relying on supernatural explanations is a cop-out or a dead-end to deepening our understanding of reality. If a natural cause for something is not known, the scientific approach is to say “I don’t know yet” and keep on looking, not to presume an answer which makes us comfortable.

Yeah. They killed a whole bunch of folks by bleeding them for everything. Once they even put leeches on folks. They've done lots of really crazy and downright stupid things. Most scientists have very little common sense.
Yep. Next time you need competent medical care, just rattle your prayer beads instead.

And now medical science has antibiotics. Christianity once told us "prayer" would cure disease. Sadly, children still die from preventable disease because some of you wonderful folks haven't advanced beyond the Bronze Age.

And now medical science has antibiotics. Christianity once told us "prayer" would cure disease. Sadly, children still die from preventable disease because some of you wonderful folks haven't advanced beyond the Bronze Age.

This guy told me today that there is this place where they do "collective prayer" and so far they are 100%. I googled it and can't find them. Wouldn't you think they'd be praying and curing people by the hundreds every day? 100% my ass.

And now medical science has antibiotics.
an answer to our prayers......
So is that blueprint for the cancer cell. Thank your gawds.
well, I don't have a degree in biology, but I'm pretty certain that antibiotics are not the blueprint for cancer cells.......if you have some documentation to support that I will certainly take a look......

Forum List

Back