Why Is Merely POINTING OUT Racism Worse Than ACTUAL Racism To So Many on The Right??

While they may be great points, they still ignore a significant part of racism, I.e. Whites are not the only group that may be racist. Where's the discussion about how racism is addressed when it raises it's ugly head in say, a black community?
Can you site any examples?

Seems to me that America has quite a bit of ways to go until it's "post racial" as some would have us believe. No?

I can cite examples, they are not all that difficult to locate.

Alton Hayes III | Suspect: I Beat Up White Man Because I Am Mad About Trayvon Martin Case

‘Justice for Trayvon’: Black Mob Allegedly Beats White Man in Mobile, AL

Hundreds of Blacks beat Whites at Wisconsin State Fair « Scotty Starnes's Blog

Video of Black Girls Beating White Girl While Employess Watch, Hate Crime? - Gate

Hate crime: Black supremacist brutally murders white supremacist - Dallas Political Buzz | Examiner.com

Yes, we certainly have a long ways to go before we are "post-racial". But that won't happen until all parties are willing to be honest and open about the true status of racism in America. That means all parties learning to discern the difference between real racism and "butt-hurt".

Seems to me that America has quite a bit of ways to go until it's "post racial" as some would have us believe. No?

I think that whether you're post-racial or not depends on your income. If you're poor and black, it's goddamn hard. If you're wealthy and black, while you may occasionally confronted by an occasional unpleasant remark, at this point in time, your life trajectory is basically the same as it is for women: You can likely achieve success in any realm without being significantly hindered by your race (gender). Yes, discrimination does still exist, but you have advocates and the ability to fight it (and will most likely win).

If you're really a skilled black professional (or, as in my case, a skilled female professional), you can actually surpass folks, and what might once have been a hindrance can actually become an advantage in some fields/circles.

Overall, I think that America is much easier to navigate if you have funds. Americans, in general, treat you better if you have cash in your wallet than they do if you don't. And, it doesn't matter so much what your skin color or gender is, as long as you can pay your way.

And, if you're black (or female), but you have some financial resources, you will have multiple methods at your disposal to address any kind of discrimination and/or mistreatment.

If you're black, and you don't have those resources, you're shit outta luck.

That's my opinion, based upon what I've observed. Being black is considerably less difficult in this country if you have a college degree and a white collar job. Same with being female.

Thoughts?

I think you message should be "if you're poor and black (or white, hispanic, female etc), things might be more difficult, but you can still improve your lot if you really want to", instead of, "if you're poor and black (or white, hispanic, female, etc) you're 'shit outta luck'.

I wonder at the shock you would experience to discover that most neighborhoods are populated with decent people who take some care of their neighbors?

Any "shock" expressed in my post was sarcastic.

You seem to be under the misconception that a black living in a predominantly white neighborhood similar to where you live would be abused by their neighbors.

Where did you read this statement in my post? I sure as hell didn't write it. Why don't you stop writing what you think I said, or what you want me to say, and focus on what I actually wrote?

The section of the community where I live is affluent and about 30% black. We don't have any racial issues, from what I've observed.

There are boneheads in all ethnic, racial, and socio-economic groups. To judge and condemn an entire group based on the words and actions of a few is, by definition, racist.

Well, duh.

...never mind...:eusa_eh:

:lol: I say it because I live in the South and Southern Pride has always been a code phrase.

It makes me laugh though, since I can't quite figure out why the South is proud of being traitorous losers.

It is for some people, not necessarily all of them. I guess I try to give people the benefit of the doubt unless they're being overt. I frankly don't have time to figure it out, most of the time.

As far as Southern pride goes...people are proud of their roots. I get that. A lot of folks make assumptions on the basis of a person having an accent (I've seen it in action, because I have an extremely country-sounding accent), or being from the South. They assume that all Southerners are backwardass rednecks from BFE who are practicallly illiterate, live in trailers, and marry their cousins.

I mean, I've had people up north treat me like I'm a retarded child because of my accent. They usually figure out pretty quick that I'm not stupid merely because I sound southern. But, definitely, it's a prevailing assumption that isn't at all uncommon.

Hell, when I hear that someone is from Mississippi or Alabama or Arkansas, I make assumptions, too. Because, frankly, there are a lot of backward ass folks from those places, and I've encountered a ton of them.

It's not really that different from the Pittsburghers I've worked with who are super proud of being Pittsburghers, and have their little "Pittsburgherisms."
heh, yeah....thank God I don't have a southern accent. ;)

Go to upstate New Hampshire and you'll probably think the locals are retarded because of their accents.

You say that because you are racist, who tries to compensate. Start being truthful, and maybe you'll be cured of your terrible affliction.
:lol: I say it because I live in the South and Southern Pride has always been a code phrase.

It makes me laugh though, since I can't quite figure out why the South is proud of being traitorous losers.

Save the bullshit for yourself, because that's the only person your are convincing.

Just because one states they are proud of where they're from doesn't mean they are racist. They don't have to be proud of the South because of the racial history. You're really promoting ignorance and bias.
There really is a difference between "Southern Pride" and being proud of where you are from.

Though I get that the difference escapes you.

I think you message should be "if you're poor and black (or white, hispanic, female etc), things might be more difficult, but you can still improve your lot if you really want to", instead of, "if you're poor and black (or white, hispanic, female, etc) you're 'shit outta luck'.

How much time have you actually spent in the homes of people who are really poor?

And, by REALLY poor, I mean "living on your auntie's welfare check cause my mom can't even take care of herself, eating the government cheese, hearing shots fired in your neighborhood every night, having to dodge gang members on your way to school, going to a high school where most kids are at a 4th grade reading level, my teeth are rotting inside my mouth because I've never been to the dentist, I get beaten up by kids at my school because I want to maintain a B-average and I can't see the chalkboard because my mom can't afford glasses" poor?

Because, I've worked with A LOT of kids like that. A scary amount, in fact.

My message to people is never that they're SOL. But, I think it's impossible for someone who hasn't seen what I've seen, or grown up in those circumstances, to understand exactly how difficult it can be to get out of poverty when everything in your life seems to be keeping you trapped there.

Even my dad, who grew up dirt poor in the Ozarks had opportunities that a lot of my clients have never had.

Don't ever kid yourself...poverty is a bitch when you're a little kid. And there are a lot of kids in America who don't just have the deck stacked against them, they aren't even holding any cards...at all.

Last edited:

How much time have you actually spent in the homes of people who are really poor?

And, by REALLY poor, I mean "living on your auntie's welfare check cause my mom can't even take care of herself, eating the government cheese, hearing shots fired in your neighborhood every night, having to dodge gang members on your way to school, going to a high school where most kids are at a 4th grade reading level, my teeth are rotting inside my mouth because I've never been to the dentist, I get beaten up by kids at my school because I want to maintain a B-average and I can't see the chalkboard because my mom can't afford glasses" poor?

My message to people is never that they're SOL. But, I think it's impossible for someone who hasn't seen what I've seen, or grown up in those circumstances, to understand exactly how difficult it can be to get out of poverty when everything in your life seems to be keeping you trapped there.

Even my dad, who grew up dirt poor in the Ozarks had opportunities that a lot of my clients have never had.

Don't ever kid yourself...poverty is a bitch when you're a little kid. And there are a lot of kids in America who don't just have the deck stacked against them, they aren't even holding any cards...at all.

This coming from a person that judges people based on where they live. SMH

You see, folks like gallant want everyone to "pull themselves up by the bootstraps" even those who don't have bootstraps to pull up.

I grew up dirt poor, the oldest child in a large family. We grew, raised, and gathered much of what we ate. Mom sewed our clothes back then, buying fabric was a lot cheaper than it is now. Or we wore hand-me-downs. Although our family would have qualified for any number of social welfare, safety-net programs, my Dad worked two, sometimes three jobs to feed, house, and clothe us. The community was rural in ways you might not imagine, and most of the neighbors were as "disadvantaged" as my family was. While we were often embarrassed by what we lacked, we never, ever considered ourselves hopeless or helpless.
Do I visit many "poor" homes now? No. I chose a far different career path. (I'm actually preparing to retire from my third career.) If you have chosen a path that allows you to enjoy the help you can provide to "poor" children, I give my kudos. Not everyone is capable of that kind of empathy. What I do know is, what has been done thus far to change the impoverished state of some citizens has failed. There are other ways, but they require hard choices and difficult sacrifices by those who stand to gain the most. Our government and the politicians who run it are no help at all.

You see, folks like gallant want everyone to "pull themselves up by the bootstraps" even those who don't have bootstraps to pull up.

Damn straight, Skippy!

Why so sensitive? I haven't even started on the Texans. :lol:

Especially those from DAL-A$$, TEXX-A$$...!!

:lol:
lol

You're loving me right now, aren't you? :eusa_whistle:

You betcha!!

palin_winks1.jpg

Save the bullshit for yourself, because that's the only person your are convincing.

Just because one states they are proud of where they're from doesn't mean they are racist. They don't have to be proud of the South because of the racial history. You're really promoting ignorance and bias.
There really is a difference between "Southern Pride" and being proud of where you are from.

Whatever helps you sleep...

While they may be great points, they still ignore a significant part of racism, I.e. Whites are not the only group that may be racist. Where's the discussion about how racism is addressed when it raises it's ugly head in say, a black community?
Can you site any examples?

I don't care about rep that much, but I know you do. That's why you always post your negs- hopeful for some sympathy reps:lol:.

Some of the dumbest and cruel people on this board have high rep. You're an example of the dumbest.
I don't even GIVE neg reps, that's how much I'm concerned with it. I've stated multiple times that my goal is to simply bring LIGHT to the RW Cockaroaches pettiness. You guys, just like the Cockaroaches that you are, scramble away from the light by being vehemently opposed to and upset by my posting your neg reps.

Keep it up Cockaroach...:lol:

yea ok idiot.

I grew up dirt poor, the oldest child in a large family. We grew, raised, and gathered much of what we ate. Mom sewed our clothes back then, buying fabric was a lot cheaper than it is now. Or we wore hand-me-downs. Although our family would have qualified for any number of social welfare, safety-net programs, my Dad worked two, sometimes three jobs to feed, house, and clothe us. The community was rural in ways you might not imagine, and most of the neighbors were as "disadvantaged" as my family was. While we were often embarrassed by what we lacked, we never, ever considered ourselves hopeless or helpless.

Truthfully, the fact that you had two parents who did their best to provide for you is a considerable advantage over most of the kids I've worked with over the years.

I never saw myself as advantaged until I started working with this population. It's definitely changed my perspective on gratitude.

What I do know is, what has been done thus far to change the impoverished state of some citizens has failed. There are other ways, but they require hard choices and difficult sacrifices by those who stand to gain the most. Our government and the politicians who run it are no help at all.

I agree with you on this one. Many things about this country are broken right now, and need to be repaired. Just throwing money at the problems (which is largely what we've done since the 1960s) will not fix them. There are specific actions that need to be taken, and they will take a concerted effort, and potentially cause pain and/or discomfort for many people. A lot of well intentioned programs and policies have actually contributed to the problem, and will need to be repaired or junked entirely.

Frankly, I'm not sure that either party has the stomach to do what needs to be done.

It also amazes me how few of them know the real Confederate flag.

Forum List

Back