CDZ Why is Canadian steel cheaper?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by task0778, Mar 4, 2018.

1. task0778

task0778 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,783
    Assuming that it is cheaper, otherwise why are we importing more Canadian steel than from any other country? Are their labor costs lower, or do they subsidize their steel like China does? Same question for Mexico and the EU, we don't get much of our steel from China, so what's going on here? Provide links please.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. jwoodie

jwoodie Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,421
    Good question, and hard to find answers. Canada does have a huge transportation advantage over other countries exporting steel to the U.S., but any costs differential between Canadian and U.S. steel is probably related to Canada's increased steel making capacity. I think Trump sees a rise in the domestic demand for steel and wants that to benefit domestic steel makers and their workers. In addition, many countries (including Canada) do not feel the need to make U.S. imports more available to consumers even if they they are of competitive price and quality, thus contributing to our huge trade deficits with them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TheOldSchool

TheOldSchool BANNED

Thanks Received:
    last stop for sanity before reaching the south
    Ratings:
    +43,070
    That'll change once the tariffs kick in

4. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    I dunno...

... mebbe `cause the raw materials...

... are available domestically.

5. Tax Man

Tax Man Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,294
    American steel is high in sulfur which makes it a lower grade and unusable for structures or bridges.

6. Cellblock2429

Cellblock2429 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,479
    /----/ I read that the major problem with Bethlehem Steel was that it produced high quality steel and no longer needed. I've saw it when we went to the Sands next door. A shame. A giant ghost town.
    abandoned-bethlehem-steel-john-rizzuto.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. shockedcanadian

shockedcanadian Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,485
    It's cheaper because of covert subsidies and de-facto ownership, grants to "private" businesses. Worse, and Americans should take heed; Canada allows Chinese steel into the country and exports it to America via NAFTA so everyone avoid penalties. How do you think we kept GM in Ontario when they were looking to go back to Ohio and Michigan? $400M from the feds and province. This isn't crony capitalism, this is neo-communism.

China also does this with other nations. They open up factories in Vietnam for instance, send Chinese workers there and go to town on production, ship it over to America and it is deemed "Made in Vietnam" to avoid quotas. Canada is also allowing Chinese companies to buy Canadian businesses and because the buyers demand it, they are allowing them to send in their own temporary Chinese workers. This is the wholesale destruction of the Canadian worker in many cases. Even McDonalds does this, literally shipping Filipino workers in some places, giving them hotel rooms and giving them lower wages.

This is how we hammer you good. Canada absolutely takes a stick to you and you allow it. In fact, certain agencies in the U.S who are supposed to protect you, don't even care to do so as they have a false trust in Canadian agencies, you let the RCMP, OPP and their pals do as they please, as you believe somehow we are your ally.

Wake up America!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  8. task0778

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,783
    Not to doubt what you're saying, but how do you know this? Link?

9. william the wie

william the wie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,683
    Trying for a nice simple answer is not going to work, the GDP formulae are that easy to game. Other than the point that Canada being a neighbor that also uses the common law like we do makes it much easier for them to game our system. That also makes it more difficult to prove that they are gaming us. The Bahamas became the biggest recipient of funds from the US back in the 20s and 30s for the same reason. Likewise the Caymans.

10. task0778

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,783
    Wow! Somebody tell me if I got this wrong, but China doesn't export much steel to us cuz we slapped tariffs on their steel, right? But Canada apparently doesn't have the same tariffs on Chinese steel cuz they're getting buku steel from them, true? So, the Canadians are either selling that cheaper Chinese to us or in some cases using it themselves which allows them to sell their own steel to us at a reduced price? Does Canada subsidize their steel producers more than we do in this country? What a focking mess.

Same question for Mexico, the EU, South Korea and the rest of them, do they have tariffs on Chinese steel? I'm guessing no, or if they do it's really minor. Which allows the Chinese to dump their steel elsewhere and we end up up allowing them to continue to dumping, just indirectly through a middle man. How come I don't read about any of this anywhere, and don't think I haven't been looking.

I do know that there is currently a world-wide steel glut that depresses steel prices. And I know that the Chinese have promised before to cut their production, which to date they haven't done. And neither has the other big steel producing countries either. So, I'm having 2nd and 3rd thoughts about Trump's steel tariffs; I'm generally a free/fair trade guy, but I don't like being taken for a ride (lied to).

• Informative Informative x 1