Why is a State Religion a bad idea ?

No, the Constitution does no such thing. The 14th Amendment does not incorporate this part of this 1st Amendment or the Constitution.

The fact remains the Constitution only prohibits a national church not state churches.

Sure it does. The constitution prohibits states from declaring a religion.

It's not just the first amendment, either.

Again, while I agree, the GOP has sat by and let people think this is the case.

Don't believe me, try getting the ten commandments put outside your county courthouse. I believe it is all legal and constitutional. But we've allowed this one to slip away.

Any political party, GOP or Dem, that campaigned on creating a state-established church, even in SC or MS, would go down in ruinous defeat, in my opinion.

No, the Constitution does no such thing. The 14th Amendment does not incorporate this part of this 1st Amendment or the Constitution.

Sure it does. The constitution prohibits states from declaring a religion.

It's not just the first amendment, either.

Again, while I agree, the GOP has sat by and let people think this is the case.

Don't believe me, try getting the ten commandments put outside your county courthouse. I believe it is all legal and constitutional. But we've allowed this one to slip away.

If one is in the minority one must simply accept the fact that the majority is going to cater to its own belief system and by doing so is NOT marginalizing or negating your beliefs.

True, except in matters of fundamental right. When fundamental rights are concerned (life, liberty, right to vote, due process of law, etc.), the will of the majority will not be allowed to compromise the rights of the minority.

The best example of this I can think of is the institutionalized racism that existed in the South prior to the civil rights changes that were made in the 1960's. I suspect, if one had put segregation up for a vote in the good state of Alabama or Mississippi in the 1940's or 1950's, it would have easily been maintained by the vote of the majority. Problem was, we were dealing with fundamental rights that were being denied to the minority by the majority.

If we're talking about whether to close a local movie theater that gets put to the vote of the citizens of the town, that's one thing. If we're talking about the right to vote, that's quite another.

The Founders, so close in their relationship to Mother England and quite familiar with that history and the Roman Empire, knew full well that religious leaders, most especially in tandem with monarchs, were as capable of corruption and oppressive government as any other.

American exceptionalism, as the Founders intended it, would have the government secure our rights and then leave us alone to govern ourselves and form whatever sort of society we wished to have.

Some Americans opted for theocracy as was evident in some colonies. Others opted for a violent and essentially lawless existence. And it was interesting, that without any interference whatsoever from the federal government, those adopting such extreme societies would moderate them within a relatively short time. All the theocracies were disbanded and had vanished by the time state constitutions were adopted. Those experiencing communities in their raising hell days chose to put themselves under a rule of law.

Short of violating another's unalienable rights, no man can be free without being allowed his convictions and way of life, no matter how narrow minded or unreasonable or foolish or ignorant or hateful or socially or politically incorrect.

Once the federal government presumes authority to reward or punish thought, it is inevitable that it will begin to erode or eliminate certain freedoms.

Last edited:
Religion is inherently evil and divisive.

That's part and parcel why it should never become part of the governing body.

It should not be part of the governing body because government corrupts religion. It's government that is inherently evil and divisive.

Not in the libertarian sense, for by the 1850s states' rights meant the right to own humans.

The Founders, so close in their relationship to Mother England and quite familiar with that history and the Roman Empire, knew full well that religious leaders, most especially in tandem with monarchs, were as capable of corruption and oppressive government as any other.

American exceptionalism, as the Founders intended it, would have the government secure our rights and then leave us alone to govern ourselves and form whatever sort of society we wished to have.

Some Americans opted for theocracy as was evident in some colonies. Others opted for a violent and essentially lawless existence. And it was interesting, that without any interference whatsoever from the federal government, those adopting such extreme societies would moderate them within a relatively short time. All the theocracies were disbanded and had vanished by the time state constitutions were adopted. Those experiencing communities in their raising hell days chose to put themselves under a rule of law.

Short of violating another's unalienable rights, no man can be free without being allowed his convictions and way of life, no matter how narrow minded or unreasonable or foolish or ignorant or hateful or socially or politically incorrect.

Once the federal government presumes authority to reward or punish thought, it is inevitable that it will begin to erode or eliminate certain freedoms.

Religion, whether it be the Borgias of Rome or the LDS of Salt Lake City, corrupt government. In the latter case, only with the rise of an opposition non-lds political party, did true American government come to Utah.

It should not be part of the governing body because government corrupts religion. It's government that is inherently evil and divisive.

There are a SHIT LOAD of Italian popes who would laugh their balls off at this statement.

We should all observe the 11th commandment:

11. Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself.

I dont listen to commandments from Satan.

(Clarification: I am not calling anyone here Satan. Just pointing out the ultimate source of this "commandment". I dont want anyone to be confused and think im insulting anyone personally. It's not the case)

Last edited:

There are a SHIT LOAD of Italian popes who would laugh their balls off at this statement.

And you would be making my point by citing them.

We should all observe the 11th commandment:

11. Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself.

Would you also include that people should keep their political and socioeconomic observations, gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, food preferences, favored sports teams, feelings about pets and accordian players to themselves?

Or maybe real freedom allows people to be who they are in all things so long as they do not infringe on the rights of others? Define that as requiring consent, contribution or participation by others?

1st Amendment protections are not absolute in practice, but they are in belief, so, yes, in general we should be able to express all those things without fear.

Religion, whether it be the Borgias of Rome or the LDS of Salt Lake City, corrupt government. In the latter case, only with the rise of an opposition non-lds political party, did true American government come to Utah.

I call bullshit on the blanket assertions in both sides of these statements. Religion does not corrupt government and government does not corrupt religion.

POWER corrupts all. Period. Combining power over your physical self (the government/state) with the power over your thoughts or soul (religion) creates the worst type of power and the most corruptive outcome possible. Calling one corrupt over the other is nonsense. There are examples abound of where each one of these have produced incredible corruption on its own without the other.

People can be corrupted, why would you think that there is some inherent difference in where those people are in the political spectrum?

True, except in matters of fundamental right. When fundamental rights are concerned (life, liberty, right to vote, due process of law, etc.), the will of the majority will not be allowed to compromise the rights of the minority....
Very true George, except in the case of a state...recognized religion, unless there is something in that state's constitution that says they can't use state funds for other than the recognized entities...it would NOT violate anyone's rights!

A state recognizing the cardinal as the state bird, is that discrimination against the turkey?

People seem to confuse perceived discrimination with INSTITUTIONALIZED discrimination. One of the biggest problems we have in this country today is that every jackwagon with an axe to grind can claim the PERCEPTION of discrimination and force a minority view on the majority. It's completely antithetical to everything this country was founded on!

It's like the claim that religion corrupts government and therefore we MUST have freedom FROM religion. Can it happen...maybe. However, if you read ANYTHING by the founders, you know the 1st Amendment was to protect the church...freedom OF religion...from the state. NOT the other way around.

Read the Federalist Papers folks. OR the writings of just about any of the founders on the subject!

Call it whatever you want, but the fact is that organized religion and government corrupt one another.

I call bullshit on the blanket assertions in both sides of these statements. Religion does not corrupt government and government does not corrupt religion.

POWER corrupts all. Period. Combining power over your physical self (the government/state) with the power over your thoughts or soul (religion) creates the worst type of power and the most corruptive outcome possible. Calling one corrupt over the other is nonsense. There are examples abound of where each one of these have produced incredible corruption on its own without the other.

People can be corrupted, why would you think that there is some inherent difference in where those people are in the political spectrum?

Forum List

Back