A Fair Trade in my opinion.

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Big Black Dog, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,714
    Lots of noise is being made about Romney and the taxes he has not released from his past. To the best of my beliefs, he has released all of the taxes that he is required to release to the public. Every cry for more taxes of his to be released is nothing but a fishing attempt to find anything that can be used to put him in a bad light. Now, we take a look at President Obama. None of his school records have ever been released. They are all "sealed". Why not a trade off. Romney could release all of his past taxes with the stipulation that Obama release all of his college transcripts and show us how he paid for all of his college courses. Seems like a fair trade off to me. Discuss.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  2. Darkwind

Darkwind Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,265
    I have to say no.

This is why. Law and public opinion will dictate the information a candidate will release in order to be vetted by the public. This is right and acceptable.. You are correct in that the left are on a witch hunt, to turn any little discrepancy they find into a major scandal. However, we should not give into this kind of 'vigilante' mentality, mainly because the media should not be given this kind of power, and because its a distraction for the real issues. After all, there is no information to be gleaned from a tax filing that would disqualify a person from running for President. I would extend this to a Democrat Presidential candidate as well.

The other is an issue of comparison. While the records of a college student may have some bearing on the employment of an individual, Obama is already in office. His record has proven that his is one dumb mother fucker who is way over his head and we don't need his transcripts to prove that. We should just vote him out of office.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  3. Vidi

Vidi CDZ prohibited

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +343

Obama is not running on his school record, while Romney is running on his business experience. His tax returns give us insight into that experience, which is why they are fair game and Obamas school records are not.

If I were Obama, Id release the school records though. He was the President of Harvard Law. They dont give that to someone with bad grades. That alone proves he has nothing to hide, so he should release them just to end the deabte.

4. Vidi

Vidi CDZ prohibited

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +343
    you know the real irony of the whole situation?

[​IMG]

George Romney was one of the first candidates to release several years of returns. Why?

Now THAT was a Romney I could vote for!

5. Darkwind

Darkwind Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,265
    Why does that matter?

It isn't the release of the information that is the question. It is the purpose behind the demand for it.

6. Vidi

Vidi CDZ prohibited

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +343

George Romneys quote tells us why it matters.

"What matters in personal finance is how a man conducted himself over the long haul"

And I couldnt agree with him more.

7. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,890
    I certainly appreciate all the marvelous and well-considered comments thus far provided by all the wonderful and thoughtful people who have offered their valuable opinions. I would only add that attending Harvard, as both candidates have, and even receiving high grades and numerous accolades, does not necessarily indicate great intelligence or scholarship. I suspect that obama is hiding his records and work done at Harvard because the content of what he produced would not be well received by the public at large. Schools like Harvard tend to reward theses that are hostile to the traditional and patriotic views that most Americans who don't live in Cambridge or San Fran hold. The more radical and anti-American the better. Young obama is likely to have taken to this arrangement like a fish to water. As a result, there is a good chance that there are papers that bear obama's name among the records of certain professors that would not sit well with most Americans, and that would be very useful fodder for the President's political opponents.

I apologize in advance for any hurt feelings that may result on the part of readers who disagree with my very, very humble thoughts on the matter. Please forgive me.

8. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    Obama had ZERO record. And, still does.

And, transcripts certainly tell a lot about how someone conducted themselves, not just over the long haul, but during important years of being an adult.

Funny how jobs require them, too. Few jobs require tax returns.

9. Vidi

Vidi CDZ prohibited

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +343
    heres the last 12 years of Obamas tax returns ( and Bidens )

President Obama and Vice President Biden: 12 Years of Tax Returns — Barack Obama

The records exist and are public.

10. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,157
    While I agree, in theory, I think Democrats honoring the trade is about as likely as Democrats keeping their promise to actually cut spending when taxes go up. They would promise to do so, Romney would present his info and Obama never would.

It's quite sad that the Democrats have a history of doing weasely things like this.