A Fair Trade in my opinion.

Big Black Dog

Platinum Member
May 20, 2009
Lots of noise is being made about Romney and the taxes he has not released from his past. To the best of my beliefs, he has released all of the taxes that he is required to release to the public. Every cry for more taxes of his to be released is nothing but a fishing attempt to find anything that can be used to put him in a bad light. Now, we take a look at President Obama. None of his school records have ever been released. They are all "sealed". Why not a trade off. Romney could release all of his past taxes with the stipulation that Obama release all of his college transcripts and show us how he paid for all of his college courses. Seems like a fair trade off to me. Discuss.

Last edited:
Lots of noise is being made about Romney and the taxes he has not released from his past. To the best of my beliefs, he has released all of the taxes that he is required to release to the public. Every cry for more taxes of his to be released is nothing but a fishing attempt to find anything that can be used to put him in a bad light. Now, we take a look at President Obama. None of his school records have ever been released. They are all "sealed". Why not a trade off. Romney could release all of his past taxes with the stipulation that Obama release all of his college transcripts and show us how he paid for all of his college courses. Seems like a fair trade off to me. Discuss.
I have to say no.

This is why. Law and public opinion will dictate the information a candidate will release in order to be vetted by the public. This is right and acceptable.. You are correct in that the left are on a witch hunt, to turn any little discrepancy they find into a major scandal. However, we should not give into this kind of 'vigilante' mentality, mainly because the media should not be given this kind of power, and because its a distraction for the real issues. After all, there is no information to be gleaned from a tax filing that would disqualify a person from running for President. I would extend this to a Democrat Presidential candidate as well.

The other is an issue of comparison. While the records of a college student may have some bearing on the employment of an individual, Obama is already in office. His record has proven that his is one dumb mother fucker who is way over his head and we don't need his transcripts to prove that. We should just vote him out of office.

Last edited:

Obama is not running on his school record, while Romney is running on his business experience. His tax returns give us insight into that experience, which is why they are fair game and Obamas school records are not.

If I were Obama, Id release the school records though. He was the President of Harvard Law. They dont give that to someone with bad grades. That alone proves he has nothing to hide, so he should release them just to end the deabte.

I have to say no.

This is why. Law and public opinion will dictate the information a candidate will release in order to be vetted by the public. This is right and acceptable.. You are correct in that the left are on a witch hunt, to turn any little discrepancy they find into a major scandal. However, we should not give into this kind of 'vigilante' mentality, mainly because the media should not be given this kind of power, and because its a distraction for the real issues. After all, there is no information to be gleaned from a tax filing that would disqualify a person from running for President. I would extend this to a Democrat Presidential candidate as well.

The other is an issue of comparison. While the records of a college student may have some bearing on the employment of an individual, Obama is already in office. His record has proven that his is one dumb mother fucker who is way over his head and we don't need his transcripts to prove that. We should just vote him out of office.

you know the real irony of the whole situation?

enhanced-buzz-wide-9660-1342462884-21.jpg

George Romney was one of the first candidates to release several years of returns. Why?

One year could be a fluke, perhaps done for show, and what mattered in personal finance was how a man conducted himself over the long haul."
- George Romney

Now THAT was a Romney I could vote for!

I have to say no.

George Romney was one of the first candidates to release several years of returns. Why?

One year could be a fluke, perhaps done for show, and what mattered in personal finance was how a man conducted himself over the long haul."
- George Romney
Why does that matter?

It isn't the release of the information that is the question. It is the purpose behind the demand for it.

I have to say no.

- George Romney
Why does that matter?

It isn't the release of the information that is the question. It is the purpose behind the demand for it.

George Romneys quote tells us why it matters.

"What matters in personal finance is how a man conducted himself over the long haul"

And I couldnt agree with him more.

I certainly appreciate all the marvelous and well-considered comments thus far provided by all the wonderful and thoughtful people who have offered their valuable opinions. I would only add that attending Harvard, as both candidates have, and even receiving high grades and numerous accolades, does not necessarily indicate great intelligence or scholarship. I suspect that obama is hiding his records and work done at Harvard because the content of what he produced would not be well received by the public at large. Schools like Harvard tend to reward theses that are hostile to the traditional and patriotic views that most Americans who don't live in Cambridge or San Fran hold. The more radical and anti-American the better. Young obama is likely to have taken to this arrangement like a fish to water. As a result, there is a good chance that there are papers that bear obama's name among the records of certain professors that would not sit well with most Americans, and that would be very useful fodder for the President's political opponents.

I apologize in advance for any hurt feelings that may result on the part of readers who disagree with my very, very humble thoughts on the matter. Please forgive me.

Why does that matter?

"What matters in personal finance is how a man conducted himself over the long haul"

Obama had ZERO record. And, still does.

And, transcripts certainly tell a lot about how someone conducted themselves, not just over the long haul, but during important years of being an adult.

Funny how jobs require them, too. Few jobs require tax returns.

Why does that matter?

And, transcripts certainly tell a lot about how someone conducted themselves, not just over the long haul, but during important years of being an adult.

heres the last 12 years of Obamas tax returns ( and Bidens )

President Obama and Vice President Biden: 12 Years of Tax Returns — Barack Obama

The records exist and are public.

While I agree, in theory, I think Democrats honoring the trade is about as likely as Democrats keeping their promise to actually cut spending when taxes go up. They would promise to do so, Romney would present his info and Obama never would.

It's quite sad that the Democrats have a history of doing weasely things like this.

President Obama and Vice President Biden: 12 Years of Tax Returns — Barack Obama

What does that have to do with transcripts?

Romney hasn't released his tax returns or his transcripts. Obama has twelve years of returns released. Until Romney steps up and releases one or the other on his own you guys are in no position to ask for anything.

Nothing, but as I stated before, Obama never ran on his school record, did he? Romney IS running on his business experience.

But you made the claim he had zero record and still does. His record is quite impressive actually. Under this President, there have been 4.3 million private sector jobs created. Under his leadership, the Iraq war has come to a close, the Aphganistan war is ending and the mastermind behind the 9/11 attacks was killed. he signed the Lily Ledbetter Act and love it or hate it, he signed the first real Health Care reform in what? ever? After Presidents from Truman to Nixon to Clinton tried and failed miserably.

Thats an impressive resume.

Nothing, but as I stated before, Obama never ran on his school record, did he? Romney IS running on his business experience.

But you made the claim he had zero record and still does. His record is quite impressive actually. Under this President, there have been 4.3 million private sector jobs created. Under his leadership, the Iraq war has come to a close, the Aphganistan war is ending and the mastermind behind the 9/11 attacks was killed. he signed the Lily Ledbetter Act and love it or hate it, he signed the first real Health Care reform in what? ever? After Presidents from Truman to Nixon to Clinton tried and failed miserably.

Obama ran on ZERO record. As with any employee entering into a new job with no record, transcripts are a default requirement.

So, the OP's trade seems fair.

Obama had and has nothing to show for why he is a better choice and he certainly said he was a 'constitutional scholar'...:lmao: and Romney says he is a good businessman. Bain certainly hasn't failed. Solydra did.

Romney hasn't released his tax returns or his transcripts. Obama has twelve years of returns released. Until Romney steps up and releases one or the other on his own you guys are in no position to ask for anything.

actually, he has released his tax returns. You just want more of them.

And yes, we are in a position to ask for plenty.

His business experience has nothing to do with tax returns. We can see his business experience quite easily with the 80% success rate Bain had in saving failing companies as well as his success with the Olympics. Neither of which has anything to do with taxes.

Forum List

Back