Why I remain a Practicing Catholic

Don’t forget the terror of the confessional booth
Sounds scary. Not a fan of the communion thing, either. (As Hobelim calls it, "eating Jesus.")
As a child, confession was a terrifying experience. I don’t know if adult Catholics still do it.

lol... I remember telling the priest that I didn't commit any sins all week so he called me a liar just like the devil is a liar. Then he told me to say ten hail mary's and five our fathers for being a liar. So I told him fuck you and ran out.

He never found out who it was. I just remember him being red faced with rage eyeing everyone suspiciously trying to figure it out....I think it drove him insane.

I recall a similar experience but the reaction was very different. I'd been a real goody two shoes all week and when I went to Confession I couldn't think of ANYTHING I'd done wrong. I said that to Father and we went through "the list" and at the end he seemed rather pleased but explained that it was sometimes hard to think of sins of omission and stuff on the spot. He was quite kind but I suppose I wasn't an arrogant little lying shit about it.

Greg
You Catholics can't win, can you? Instead of the Father praising you to the skies for having a week when you followed ALL the rules, he chalks it up to you forgetting your sins? The frosting on the cake is that you think he was "quite kind."

OMG
You are a fool if you believe anything hobelim writes.

Their churches are prettier, the guy swinging the incense burner is pretty cool, and the very best idea is being able to light a little candle for someone you are worrying about or who died. That is the very best idea of all.
Don’t forget the terror of the confessional booth
Sounds scary. Not a fan of the communion thing, either. (As Hobelim calls it, "eating Jesus.")
As a child, confession was a terrifying experience. I don’t know if adult Catholics still do it.

lol... I remember telling the priest that I didn't commit any sins all week so he called me a liar just like the devil is a liar. Then he told me to say ten hail mary's and five our fathers for being a liar. So I told him fuck you and ran out.

He never found out who it was. I just remember him being red faced with rage eyeing everyone suspiciously trying to figure it out....I think it drove him insane.

I recall a similar experience but the reaction was very different. I'd been a real goody two shoes all week and when I went to Confession I couldn't think of ANYTHING I'd done wrong. I said that to Father and we went through "the list" and at the end he seemed rather pleased but explained that it was sometimes hard to think of sins of omission and stuff on the spot. He was quite kind but I suppose I wasn't an arrogant little lying shit about it.

Greg

lol... Yeah, he patiently went through a list of things too but every time I said, I never stole a cookie, I don't hate my parents, I never cheated on a test, I don't think bad thoughts about anybody, , he only got madder and madder and called me a liar.

I wasn't a liar, I was about 8 years old for christs sake, but I did tell him fuck you. And I meant It. He compared me to the devil but I knew he was a talking serpent. I had already learned about fairy tales before I was old enough to go to school. Then they taught the class about Adam and Eve and the talking serpent and made everyone memorize the ten commandments. Then this guy had the audacity to try and manipulate and intimidate me into turning to something made by human hands for spiritual life. I wasn't an arrogant lying little shit. I was paying attention.

Last edited:
(1) The RC church is the optimum expression of Biblical Christianity.

(2) The crimes of the 5% of evil clerics does not outweigh the virtue, leadership, and exemplary lives of the other 95%. (You think it's 10%? I disagree but the point remains).

(3) No Catholic Bishop ever reassigned a pedophile priest with the expectation that there would be more victims. Shame on them all for believing that with the grace of God, this vile pattern of behavior can be overcome. I think they get it now.

(4) There is a veritable cottage industry of people who, for whatever reasons (money, bigotry, political ambition, etc.), want to make the worst of the situation. It's a horrible history and it remains horribly recent, but right-minded people view each new outrage with the figurative grain of salt.

(5) My Church continues to do wonderful things, in spite of All This. My own parish has more then 50 community outreach groups, supporting the poor, homeless, immigrants, hungry, pregnant, sick, elderly and infirm, you name it.
I still like r kelly music. I’m willing to forgive past discretion’s because overall I like the product

Forum List

Back