"Why I parted ways with the right"

William F. Buckley came off as stilted and a bit narcassistic and he wasn't a real easy read. George Will always seemed a little book-wormish - but both those guys were BRILLIANT.

Problem is that with todays Conservative elite they are considered intelectuals. Intelectuals are viewed as elitist and therefore liberal.

Part of the dumbing down of the Conservative movement

Most of the mainstream conservative movement is led by a bunch of people who were influenced by Irving Kristol, Leo Strauss and William F. Buckley. These guys are authoritarian as they come, with concepts like the 'noble lie' and a reactionary ideology which is actually very dangerous.

William F. Buckley came off as stilted and a bit narcassistic and he wasn't a real easy read. George Will always seemed a little book-wormish - but both those guys were BRILLIANT.

Problem is that with todays Conservative elite they are considered intelectuals. Intelectuals are viewed as elitist and therefore liberal.

Tell me again how the Hungry CO2 Spaghetti Monster is eating all the glaciers

Thanks for jumping in to prove my point about the dumbing down of the Conservative movement

Luv ya Crusader. Bravo.

The left just want to spread my wealth so I can take care of every deadbeat in the country. All us working folks need to work harder and get second jobs so we have enough money to care for all those that kinda sorta forgot to get a job, kinda sorta forgot to take birth control and kinda sorta forgot to be responsible for their own lives. The left want bigger and bigger Govt so they can be taken care of by those same taxpayers cradle to grave. Wonder what would happen if everyone had that mentality and decided they really didn't need to work?? The roles of those on the Govt dole would go through the roof and pretty soon no one would be working. Wonder where all the money would come from then???

Thats pretty much all I need to know about the left, thanks.

Tell me again how the Hungry CO2 Spaghetti Monster is eating all the glaciers

I really don't mean to sound rude - but you are doing a pretty good job of exemplifying what we are talking about.

I notice there was no signator to the ad homenim strawman piece of shit in the OP.

Looks more like it was written by some hack at Daily Kos or HuffnPuff..

It was Little Green Footballs. That's what they do.

LGF is the ultimate shill for all things related to the DC consensus.

Based on anything I've read from that site I've come to the conclusion it is nothing more than poorly written establishment neoconservative (I'm using the term as the neocons label themselves) drivel.

Luv ya Crusader. Bravo.

The left just want to spread my wealth so I can take care of every deadbeat in the country. All us working folks need to work harder and get second jobs so we have enough money to care for all those that kinda sorta forgot to get a job, kinda sorta forgot to take birth control and kinda sorta forgot to be responsible for their own lives. The left want bigger and bigger Govt so they can be taken care of by those same taxpayers cradle to grave. Wonder what would happen if everyone had that mentality and decided they really didn't need to work?? The roles of those on the Govt dole would go through the roof and pretty soon no one would be working. Wonder where all the money would come from then???

I don't think I could have encapsuled the ad hom, hyperbole, bumper-sticker mentality any better myself.

And in case you haven't been listening - the folks here complaining about the direction the conservative movement have taken were all part of the conservative movement at one time. I understand that it's easier to believe that the criticism is all coming from the far left - that sort of absolves you from having to take a good hard look doesn't it?

I'm sorry - I hate to shake you out of your comfort zone - but the criticisms are coming from a lot closer to home.

Personally - I am fiscally conservative, I oppose abortion and I acknowledge that the second amendment clearly protects an individual's right to own firearms. And I can't stand the direction the conservative movement has taken.

So you can keep calling me names and/or inventing ideologies to apply to me, but if you want me (and many others like me) to re-join "the movement," it would be wiser to listen more and rant less.

Last edited:
It was Little Green Footballs. That's what they do.

LGF is the ultimate shill for all things related to the DC consensus.

Based on anything I've read from that site I've come to the conclusion it is nothing more than poorly written establishment neoconservative (I'm using the term as the neocons label themselves) drivel.

I'm convinced Charles Johnson is completely insane.

I was a Republican for years. Raised funds, supported candidates, the whole nine yards. All of sudden (it seemed like to me) I looked around and there just weren't that many smart conservatives around anymore. The people calling the shots were absolute idiots. Now was it that the party went over to the idiots "abandoning the smart conservatives" ??? I don't know.

Ditto. I voted Republican for most of my voting life up to the Bush/DeLay/Frist era. That unholy trinity made it clear the GOP had gone off the rails and wwwaaaayyyyyyy over the cliff.

I don't think all of the attacks in the OP are justified, but right now the GOP is off the rails. Until they get back on track I'm done with them.

I'm in the same boat. I voted for Reagan and daddy Bush four times. In the late nineties, the conservative movement took a nasty turn with volume substituting for substance. made me ask "Why do I want to be associated with these guys?"

But aparrently we all don't exist according to some folks here. All just a myth ... a fantasy ...
And apparently they HAVEN'T lost a majority in the house and the senate AND the White House over that time .... I guess that's a myth too.

Seems to me that if a party was serious about getting people like us back - they'd stop calling us names and START listening.

But noooooooo - they think they lost because they haven't pissed us off ENOUGH!!!!!

The right calls you names? you gotta be fucking kidding us.. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I would never call you a name nodog. Your opinion is your own and your cetainly entitled to it.

I must disagree about the bumper sticker mentality though. . I just call a spade a spade. As for those that were conservatives. Well to each his own. I personally am fiscally conservative but am liberal in other ways. Don't have a problem with abortion but hate being made responsible for other peoples responsibilities. I make my own way and always have. I sure don't need Govt to take care of me or mine and resent being forced to do take care of others. Hardass?? You bet your ass.

The Dems had control of our Congress for 40 years hence the social bs we have today. Huge Govt entitlements where people aren't responsible for making their own way. They aren't expected to make responsible decisions in their lives and don't have to worry because, we the taxpayer, will bail them out. Doesn't make my day at all.

Luv ya Crusader. Bravo.

I don't think I could have encapsuled the ad hom, hyperbole, bumper-sticker mentality any better myself.

And in case you haven't been listening - the folks here complaining about the direction the conservative movement have taken were all part of the conservative movement at one time. I understand that it's easier to believe that the criticism is all coming from the far left - that sort of absolves you from having to take a good hard look doesn't it?

I'm sorry - I hate to shake you out of your comfort zone - but the criticisms are coming from a lot closer to home.

Personally - I am fiscally conservative, I oppose abortion and I acknowledge that the second amendment clearly protects an individual's right to own firearms. And I can't stand the direction the conservative movement has taken.

So you can keep calling me names and/or inventing ideologies to apply to me, but if you want me (and many others like me) to re-join "the movement," it would be wiser to listen more and rant less.

the right won't suck up to you, not worth keeping, if you can't stay and improve what you don't like, but cut and run,, then you are the perfect democrat, just like Arlene Spector, beee happy

Last edited:
Ditto. I voted Republican for most of my voting life up to the Bush/DeLay/Frist era. That unholy trinity made it clear the GOP had gone off the rails and wwwaaaayyyyyyy over the cliff.

I don't think all of the attacks in the OP are justified, but right now the GOP is off the rails. Until they get back on track I'm done with them.

I'm in the same boat. I voted for Reagan and daddy Bush four times. In the late nineties, the conservative movement took a nasty turn with volume substituting for substance. made me ask "Why do I want to be associated with these guys?"

But aparrently we all don't exist according to some folks here. All just a myth ... a fantasy ...
And apparently they HAVEN'T lost a majority in the house and the senate AND the White House over that time .... I guess that's a myth too.

Seems to me that if a party was serious about getting people like us back - they'd stop calling us names and START listening.

But noooooooo - they think they lost because they haven't pissed us off ENOUGH!!!!!

The right calls you names? you gotta be fucking kidding us.. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yup - I get called names by the righties on these boards almost every day. Several times by you.

BTW - you found that link for the connection between credit card bailouts and taxpayer funding?

Yup - I get called names by the righties on these boards almost every day. Several times by you.

BTW - you found that link for the connection between credit card bailouts and taxpayer funding?

didn't know I was looking,, so you get your side to stop calling names then we'll talk.. otherwise whine like a baby,, that's the demoncwat way,, play the poor wittle victim card! perfect demoncwat..

I would never call you a name nodog. Your opinion is your own and your cetainly entitled to it.

I must disagree about the bumper sticker mentality though. . I just call a spade a spade. As for those that were conservatives. Well to each his own. I personally am fiscally conservative but am liberal in other ways. Don't have a problem with abortion but hate being made responsible for other peoples responsibilities. I make my own way and always have. I sure don't need Govt to take care of me or mine and resent being forced to do take care of others. Hardass?? You bet your ass.

The Dems had control of our Congress for 40 years hence the social bs we have today. Huge Govt entitlements where people aren't responsible for making their own way. They aren't expected to make responsible decisions in their lives and don't have to worry because, we the taxpayer, will bail them out. Doesn't make my day at all.

Ahhhh - on abortion at least, I am "more conservative" than you???
I suspect we are a lot closer on MANY issues than some might imagine. Some conservative posters on these boards have been shocked to find out how much we have in common - that is - if they can maintain a discussion without the strawmen, the ad hom, the personal insults, and the likes.

didn't know I was looking,
Apparently you are not.
You started a thread claiming credit card bailouts were being paid for with taxpayer money - and I have repeatedly asked you to document the claim so I could avoid writing you off as one of those posters who just pulls dishonest attacks out of thin air.

If you CAN'T offer anything to refute that notion .... I understand.

btw - I'm not a Democrat.

didn't know I was looking,
Apparently you are not.
You started a thread claiming credit card bailouts were being paid for with taxpayer money - and I have repeatedly asked you to document the claim so I could avoid writing you off as one of those posters who just pulls dishonest attacks out of thin air.

If you CAN'T offer anything to refute that notion .... I understand.

btw - I'm not a Democrat.

I claimed nothing,, I asked a question. see? that's why you are a perfect demoncwat, don't even think about going conservative..go back and review!

The rightwing viral emails I get are simply amazingly disgusting.

I am amazed that supposedly intelligent people would generate and distribute such things with such enthuiasm.

I get them becuase of past coworkers and I did not discuss politics at work.
They apparently assumed I was a rightwingnut since I was an ok guy.

I get the same e-mails from some right wing nutters I know and from loony left nuts like Rightwinger that I'm friends with. A few are funny but most are like Rwingers' post above, partisan, pathetic, and uninformed, they always get trashed. A few of the most virulent senders I've either blocked or asked not to mail that crap to me.

Forum List

Back