"Why I parted ways with the right"

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Little Green Footballs - Why I Parted Ways With The Right

Why I Parted Ways With The Right
Opinion | Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 6:49:45 pm PST

1. Support for fascists, both in America (see: Pat Buchanan, Robert Stacy McCain, etc.) and in Europe (see: Vlaams Belang, BNP, SIOE, Pat Buchanan, etc.)

2. Support for bigotry, hatred, and white supremacism (see: Pat Buchanan, Ann Coulter, Robert Stacy McCain, Lew Rockwell, etc.)

3. Support for throwing women back into the Dark Ages, and general religious fanaticism (see: Operation Rescue, anti-abortion groups, James Dobson, Pat Robertson, Tony Perkins, the entire religious right, etc.)

4. Support for anti-science bad craziness (see: creationism, climate change denialism, Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, James Inhofe, etc.)

5. Support for homophobic bigotry (see: Sarah Palin, Dobson, the entire religious right, etc.)

6. Support for anti-government lunacy (see: tea parties, militias, Fox News, Glenn Beck, etc.)

7. Support for conspiracy theories and hate speech (see: Alex Jones, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Birthers, creationists, climate deniers, etc.)

8. A right-wing blogosphere that is almost universally dominated by raging hate speech (see: Hot Air, Free Republic, Ace of Spades, etc.)

9. Anti-Islamic bigotry that goes far beyond simply criticizing radical Islam, into support for fascism, violence, and genocide (see: Pamela Geller, Robert Spencer, etc.)

10. Hatred for President Obama that goes far beyond simply criticizing his policies, into racism, hate speech, and bizarre conspiracy theories (see: witch doctor pictures, tea parties, Birthers, Michelle Malkin, Fox News, World Net Daily, Newsmax, and every other right wing source)

And much, much more. The American right wing has gone off the rails, into the bushes, and off the cliff.

I won’t be going over the cliff with them.

please see above and add to the list:

The most unintelligent, ad hom, bumper-sticker-mentality rhetoric

I swear, it makes me think that if people of THIS caliber support something, there MUST be something wrong with it.

Whatever happened to the George Wills and William F. Buckley's carrying the intellectual burden of the case for conservatism. They've been replaced by who? Charles Krauthammer, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, Ann Coulture, Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann ????????

Seriously - how can you take them seriously.

The rightwing viral emails I get are simply amazingly disgusting.

I am amazed that supposedly intelligent people would generate and distribute such things with such enthuiasm.

I get them becuase of past coworkers and I did not discuss politics at work.
They apparently assumed I was a rightwingnut since I was an ok guy.

Last edited:
please see above and add to the list:

The most unintelligent, ad hom, bumper-sticker-mentality rhetoric

I swear, it makes me think that if people of THIS caliber support something, there MUST be something wrong with it.

Whatever happened to the George Wills and William F. Buckley's carrying the intellectual burden of the case for conservatism. They've been replaced by who? Charles Krauthammer, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, Ann Coulture, Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann ????????

Seriously - how can you take them seriously.

So you prefer heavy weight intellectuals like Pelosi, Barny Frank, Boxer, Rangel, Randi Rhodes, Biden, etc. ???

The rightwing viral emails I get are simply amazingly disgusting.

I am amazed that supposedly intelligent people would generate and distribute such things with such enthuiasm.

THAT IS SO TRUE! It is absolutely astounding. How can you take these people seriously?

It's like so many of them have just decided that life is BETTER without a brain. There are some refreshing exceptions - but no where near as many as their used to be. People who are about 25 years old or younger simply have no clue that intellectual conservatism is not an oxymoron.

Whether the right wingnuts admit it or not, these are the people they are attracting. This is becoming the unsightly underbelly of the Conservative movement. The scary part is that the lunatic element of the Conservative movement is becoming so powerful that the more moderate voices are afraid to confront them.
The standard tactic right now is to keep quiet as the lunatic fringe goes on their rants.

Whether the right wingnuts admit it or not, these are the people they are attracting. This is becoming the unsightly underbelly of the Conservative movement. The scary part is that the lunatic element of the Conservative movement is becoming so powerful that the more moderate voices are afraid to confront them.
The standard tactic right now is to keep quiet as the lunatic fringe goes on their rants.

You want to go over the unsightly underbelly of the types that populate the DEM party and the far left?? You REALLY want to open that can of worms??? :rolleyes:

Never posted at DU, have you, Sweeping Generalization Man?

Never posted at DU, have you, Sweeping Generalization Man?

Sweeping Generalizations?

Why some Conservatives are exemplary Americans who respect the opinions of others, encourage diversity of opinion and open discussion. A few of them even post on this board

Oh bullshit. You guys are the most hate-filled, civil-rights stomping pieces of shit on the face of the earth. Save your fucking rhetoric for your five year old. Most of us are adults here, your idiocy has already been heard and dismissed for the pap it is.

And not only that - in many cases they are turning them lose to run point.

If the only reaction is going to be the head in the sand type, then I suspect it will have to get a whole lot worse before it can get any better.

It's sad.

I was a Republican for years. Raised funds, supported candidates, the whole nine yards. All of sudden (it seemed like to me) I looked around and there just weren't that many smart conservatives around anymore. The people calling the shots were absolute idiots. Now was it that the party went over to the idiots "abandoning the smart conservatives" ??? I don't know.

But conservatives really need to abandon the idiots.

If the only reaction is going to be the head in the sand type, then I suspect it will have to get a whole lot worse before it can get any better.

It's sad.

I was a Republican for years. Raised funds, supported candidates, the whole nine yards. All of sudden (it seemed like to me) I looked around and there just weren't that many smart conservatives around anymore. The people calling the shots were absolute idiots. Now was it that the party went over to the idiots "abandoning the smart conservatives" ??? I don't know.

I think you are 100% correct.

It's sad.

I'm in the same boat. I voted for Reagan and daddy Bush four times. In the late nineties, the conservative movement took a nasty turn with volume substituting for substance. made me ask "Why do I want to be associated with these guys?"

Ditto. I voted Republican for most of my voting life up to the Bush/DeLay/Frist era. That unholy trinity made it clear the GOP had gone off the rails and wwwaaaayyyyyyy over the cliff.

I don't think all of the attacks in the OP are justified, but right now the GOP is off the rails. Until they get back on track I'm done with them.

Forum List

Back