Why I Hate Religion!

LOL! I used to make up sins to confess to the priest because I thought he'd be disappointed that I didn't need forgiveness.

But if you lie during confession, that's a bigger sin and if you should die before your next confession, you'll go to hell. :eek:

What if you break one of the 10 commandments during confession? Like if you sit in there daydreaming about your neighbor's new lawn mower, do you go to super hell?

There is a super hell now?

I was unaware that daydreaming about something is a sin. Covetting and daydreaming are not exactly the same.

LOL! I used to make up sins to confess to the priest because I thought he'd be disappointed that I didn't need forgiveness.

But if you lie during confession, that's a bigger sin and if you should die before your next confession, you'll go to hell. :eek:

What if you break one of the 10 commandments during confession? Like if you sit in there daydreaming about your neighbor's new lawn mower, do you go to super hell?

Doc, I think Dante beat you to the idea of differing 'hells.'
I guess your super hell would be the Ninth Circle....

...in the old days I used to go to a bar in Greenwich Village, called the 'Ninth Circle.' Yikes!

This week, Michael Musto’s column in the Village Voice was entitled “Why I Hate Religion,” and thought it might appeal to lots of folks on the board.

I read Michael Musto in the Voice from time to time…but this rant was particularly stereotypic of the left wing- liberal- self-dissatisfied product of our pop culture.

Don’t know Musto? Here:
“Michael Musto (born December 3, 1955) is an American columnist for the The Village Voice, where he writes La Dolce Musto. Musto was born in Brooklyn to an Italian American family. He attended Columbia University graduating in 1976….He is a recurring guest on several nationally broadcast television programs including Countdown with Keith Olbermann and others on A&E and PBS, also having appeared on E!, VH1, Real Housewives of New York, The Daily Show, and The Late, Late Show With Craig Ferguson. He is openly gay and is published regularly in several LGTB publications.”Michael Musto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have found Musto to be somewhat clownish, and less than really insightful, but there is an interesting view as to how ‘the other side’ thinks. But you might enjoy reading it; the link is below, after each is my response to his bias.

1. “You have to keep track of your sins and then humiliatingly recite them in a loud, crisp voice, so the priest doesn't say, "Repeat that, please."
a. Well, that pretty much sums up the Left’s desire for an individual code of conduct, a privatization of morality so complete that no code of conduct is generally accepted, practically to the point of ‘do what you can get away with’. These beliefs are aimed at the gratification of appetites and exhibit anarchistic impulses.

2. “The virgin birth put an impossibly high standard on the rest of us for all time.”
a. There is no demand for anyone else’s birth to be ‘virgin.’ This slur, no doubt, is aimed at the idea that promiscuity is frowned upon…chastity is hardly an ‘impossibly high standard.’

3. “…when gays get the right to marry in a healthy, adult, consensual way, the church vehemently condemns it. ...”
a. Seems inconsistent with the idea of a monogamous relationship being “an impossibly high standard…”

4. “The church urges us to be good citizens, but when gay marriage goes into law, they suddenly want people to buck the system. ...”
a. Did I miss that memo?

5. “The church reserves the divine right to further wreck lives by forbidding condoms and abortions.”
a. Before this, I thought most folks knew that the church does not make the laws…and in the United States, both condoms and abortions are legal.

6. “Jesus is almost always portrayed as someone out of an Abercrombie & Fitch catalogue…to look like a supermodel
a. Having been in a number of RC churches, and several denominations, I must conclude that this is hugely tortuous.

7. Musto invests an entire paragraph bouncing off the —"No room at the inn"—allusion….
a. Seems to me he should accept that being gay is a non-starter in his chosen religion…and he should either move to one he finds more accepting…or right a long, bitter rant.

8. “Some people I know who piously visit places of worship on a regular basis spend the rest of the week being bitchy, negative, and judgmental. ...
a. OK…here is the nugget of truth, but I always liked it better this way: Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Well, I’ve said my piece, and I know many folks on the board agree with Musto, but to me, he’s simply screaming about how unhappy his life is. I hope he finds peace.

Here is the link: Why I Hate Religion! 47 Reasons That Will Send Me To Hell! - Page 1 - Columns - New York - Village Voice

That's just too funnay.

This just seems to be a time when some one is given the chance to rant unchecked is given a public platform.

anyone that takes the time to hate religion needs a new hobby.

I was unaware that daydreaming about something is a sin. Covetting and daydreaming are not exactly the same.

cov·et/ˈkəvit/
Verb: Yearn to possess or have (something).

There's how merriam webster defines it, seems like my scenario fits into that.

Actually the nun squad kicks the door in and beats your knuckles with yard sticks and pointers.

when they get done, you'll beg to go to super hell.

cov·et/ˈkəvit/

It goes a tad deeper than that to get to the sin part.

admireing or wanting your neighbors mower is different than REALLY wanting it to the point it's consuming you and you start making decisions that rotate around it.

Think; Keeping up with the Jones when you don't have the money to do so.

Aye, reminds me of one of my favorite parables...

/

And, Proverbs 9:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

I guess it'd be pushing it to include...

Ecclesiastes 10:2 The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

Yep. Pushing it. :lol: I wonder what that DID mean, since that book is full of parables, basically meaningless?

"I have looked at a number of other translations in the search for light and I have also consulted my extensive library of Bible commentaries without finding much either. So I suppose it is time to offer my own tentative suggestion: I suspect that it means that a wise man goes by reason whereas a fool goes by emotion. And, by coincidence, that is a pretty good summary of the difference between the political Right and Left of modern times."
» Does a Bible proverb recommend the political Right? - Blogger News Network

Of course, you and I know that the political terms 'Right' and 'Left' originated in the French Revolution. The political terms "Right" and "Left" were born in the French Revolution, when two different revolutionary factions took seats in the French National Assembly's hall: the Girondins on the right wing and the Jacobins on the left wing.

Still, there is an ironic truth there.

Aye, reminds me of one of my favorite parables...

/

And, Proverbs 9:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

I guess it'd be pushing it to include...

Ecclesiastes 10:2 The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

Yep. Pushing it. :lol: I wonder what that DID mean, since that book is full of parables, basically meaningless?

"I have looked at a number of other translations in the search for light and I have also consulted my extensive library of Bible commentaries without finding much either. So I suppose it is time to offer my own tentative suggestion: I suspect that it means that a wise man goes by reason whereas a fool goes by emotion. And, by coincidence, that is a pretty good summary of the difference between the political Right and Left of modern times."
http://www.bloggernews.net/125192

Of course, you and I know that the political terms 'Right' and 'Left' originated in the French Revolution. The political terms "Right" and "Left" were born in the French Revolution, when two different revolutionary factions took seats in the French National Assembly's hall: the Girondins on the right wing and the Jacobins on the left wing.

Still, there is an ironic truth there.

cov·et/ˈkəvit/

It goes a tad deeper than that to get to the sin part.

admireing or wanting your neighbors mower is different than REALLY wanting it to the point it's consuming you and you start making decisions that rotate around it.

Think; Keeping up with the Jones when you don't have the money to do so.

I dunno, I prefer merriam webster's interpretation of the Bible than how you learned it from the nuns :).

Maybe in those sort of situations it just determines how close you are to the devil in hell, like how teachers sit unruly students close to them to keep an eye on them.

This week, Michael Musto’s column in the Village Voice was entitled “Why I Hate Religion,” and thought it might appeal to lots of folks on the board.

I read Michael Musto in the Voice from time to time…but this rant was particularly stereotypic of the left wing- liberal- self-dissatisfied product of our pop culture.

Don’t know Musto? Here:
“Michael Musto (born December 3, 1955) is an American columnist for the The Village Voice, where he writes La Dolce Musto. Musto was born in Brooklyn to an Italian American family. He attended Columbia University graduating in 1976….He is a recurring guest on several nationally broadcast television programs including Countdown with Keith Olbermann and others on A&E and PBS, also having appeared on E!, VH1, Real Housewives of New York, The Daily Show, and The Late, Late Show With Craig Ferguson. He is openly gay and is published regularly in several LGTB publications.”Michael Musto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have found Musto to be somewhat clownish, and less than really insightful, but there is an interesting view as to how ‘the other side’ thinks. But you might enjoy reading it; the link is below, after each is my response to his bias.

1. “You have to keep track of your sins and then humiliatingly recite them in a loud, crisp voice, so the priest doesn't say, "Repeat that, please."
a. Well, that pretty much sums up the Left’s desire for an individual code of conduct, a privatization of morality so complete that no code of conduct is generally accepted, practically to the point of ‘do what you can get away with’. These beliefs are aimed at the gratification of appetites and exhibit anarchistic impulses.

2. “The virgin birth put an impossibly high standard on the rest of us for all time.”
a. There is no demand for anyone else’s birth to be ‘virgin.’ This slur, no doubt, is aimed at the idea that promiscuity is frowned upon…chastity is hardly an ‘impossibly high standard.’

3. “…when gays get the right to marry in a healthy, adult, consensual way, the church vehemently condemns it. ...”
a. Seems inconsistent with the idea of a monogamous relationship being “an impossibly high standard…”

4. “The church urges us to be good citizens, but when gay marriage goes into law, they suddenly want people to buck the system. ...”
a. Did I miss that memo?

5. “The church reserves the divine right to further wreck lives by forbidding condoms and abortions.”
a. Before this, I thought most folks knew that the church does not make the laws…and in the United States, both condoms and abortions are legal.

6. “Jesus is almost always portrayed as someone out of an Abercrombie & Fitch catalogue…to look like a supermodel
a. Having been in a number of RC churches, and several denominations, I must conclude that this is hugely tortuous.

7. Musto invests an entire paragraph bouncing off the —"No room at the inn"—allusion….
a. Seems to me he should accept that being gay is a non-starter in his chosen religion…and he should either move to one he finds more accepting…or right a long, bitter rant.

8. “Some people I know who piously visit places of worship on a regular basis spend the rest of the week being bitchy, negative, and judgmental. ...
a. OK…here is the nugget of truth, but I always liked it better this way: Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Well, I’ve said my piece, and I know many folks on the board agree with Musto, but to me, he’s simply screaming about how unhappy his life is. I hope he finds peace.

Here is the link: Why I Hate Religion! 47 Reasons That Will Send Me To Hell! - Page 1 - Columns - New York - Village Voice

Strongly agree with your #7. As a supporter of gay rights I find it amazing that many gays still attend the very churches that openly dismiss the teachings of Jesus by persecuting their own members. No one forces anyone to go to any church and there are many all over that are open to anyone and everyone and act Christlike instead of condemning others for who they are.

Forum List

Back