Why I Hate Religion!

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
This week, Michael Musto’s column in the Village Voice was entitled “Why I Hate Religion,” and thought it might appeal to lots of folks on the board.

I read Michael Musto in the Voice from time to time…but this rant was particularly stereotypic of the left wing- liberal- self-dissatisfied product of our pop culture.

Don’t know Musto? Here:
“Michael Musto (born December 3, 1955) is an American columnist for the The Village Voice, where he writes La Dolce Musto. Musto was born in Brooklyn to an Italian American family. He attended Columbia University graduating in 1976….He is a recurring guest on several nationally broadcast television programs including Countdown with Keith Olbermann and others on A&E and PBS, also having appeared on E!, VH1, Real Housewives of New York, The Daily Show, and The Late, Late Show With Craig Ferguson. He is openly gay and is published regularly in several LGTB publications.”http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Musto

I have found Musto to be somewhat clownish, and less than really insightful, but there is an interesting view as to how ‘the other side’ thinks. But you might enjoy reading it; the link is below, after each is my response to his bias.

1. “You have to keep track of your sins and then humiliatingly recite them in a loud, crisp voice, so the priest doesn't say, "Repeat that, please."
a. Well, that pretty much sums up the Left’s desire for an individual code of conduct, a privatization of morality so complete that no code of conduct is generally accepted, practically to the point of ‘do what you can get away with’. These beliefs are aimed at the gratification of appetites and exhibit anarchistic impulses.

2. “The virgin birth put an impossibly high standard on the rest of us for all time.”
a. There is no demand for anyone else’s birth to be ‘virgin.’ This slur, no doubt, is aimed at the idea that promiscuity is frowned upon…chastity is hardly an ‘impossibly high standard.’

3. “…when gays get the right to marry in a healthy, adult, consensual way, the church vehemently condemns it. ...”
a. Seems inconsistent with the idea of a monogamous relationship being “an impossibly high standard…”

4. “The church urges us to be good citizens, but when gay marriage goes into law, they suddenly want people to buck the system. ...”
a. Did I miss that memo?

5. “The church reserves the divine right to further wreck lives by forbidding condoms and abortions.”
a. Before this, I thought most folks knew that the church does not make the laws…and in the United States, both condoms and abortions are legal.

6. “Jesus is almost always portrayed as someone out of an Abercrombie & Fitch catalogue…to look like a supermodel.”
a. Having been in a number of RC churches, and several denominations, I must conclude that this is hugely tortuous.

7. Musto invests an entire paragraph bouncing off the —"No room at the inn"—allusion….
a. Seems to me he should accept that being gay is a non-starter in his chosen religion…and he should either move to one he finds more accepting…or right a long, bitter rant.

8. “Some people I know who piously visit places of worship on a regular basis spend the rest of the week being bitchy, negative, and judgmental. ...
a. OK…here is the nugget of truth, but I always liked it better this way: Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Well, I’ve said my piece, and I know many folks on the board agree with Musto, but to me, he’s simply screaming about how unhappy his life is. I hope he finds peace.

Here is the link: Why I Hate Religion! 47 Reasons That Will Send Me To Hell! - Page 1 - Columns - New York - Village Voice

Last edited:
He is just another fudge packer lamenting the fact that most normal people find his lifestyle perverted and nasty.

And wants to blame everyone else for his pathetic life choice. :cuckoo:

This week, Michael Musto’s column in the Village Voice was entitled “Why I Hate Religion,” and thought it might appeal to lots of folks on the board.

I read Michael Musto in the Voice from time to time…but this rant was particularly stereotypic of the left wing- liberal- self-dissatisfied product of our pop culture.

Don’t know Musto? Here:
“Michael Musto (born December 3, 1955) is an American columnist for the The Village Voice, where he writes La Dolce Musto. Musto was born in Brooklyn to an Italian American family. He attended Columbia University graduating in 1976….He is a recurring guest on several nationally broadcast television programs including Countdown with Keith Olbermann and others on A&E and PBS, also having appeared on E!, VH1, Real Housewives of New York, The Daily Show, and The Late, Late Show With Craig Ferguson. He is openly gay and is published regularly in several LGTB publications.”

I have found Musto to be somewhat clownish, and less than really insightful, but there is an interesting view as to how ‘the other side’ thinks. But you might enjoy reading it; the link is below, after each is my response to his bias.

1. “You have to keep track of your sins and then humiliatingly recite them in a loud, crisp voice, so the priest doesn't say, "Repeat that, please."
a. Well, that pretty much sums up the Left’s desire for an individual code of conduct, a privatization of morality so complete that no code of conduct is generally accepted, practically to the point of ‘do what you can get away with’. These beliefs are aimed at the gratification of appetites and exhibit anarchistic impulses.

2. “The virgin birth put an impossibly high standard on the rest of us for all time.”
a. There is no demand for anyone else’s birth to be ‘virgin.’ This slur, no doubt, is aimed at the idea that promiscuity is frowned upon…chastity is hardly an ‘impossibly high standard.’

3. “…when gays get the right to marry in a healthy, adult, consensual way, the church vehemently condemns it. ...”
a. Seems inconsistent with the idea of a monogamous relationship being “an impossibly high standard…”

4. “The church urges us to be good citizens, but when gay marriage goes into law, they suddenly want people to buck the system. ...”
a. Did I miss that memo?

5. “The church reserves the divine right to further wreck lives by forbidding condoms and abortions.”
a. Before this, I thought most folks knew that the church does not make the laws…and in the United States, both condoms and abortions are legal.

6. “Jesus is almost always portrayed as someone out of an Abercrombie & Fitch catalogue…to look like a supermodel
a. Having been in a number of RC churches, and several denominations, I must conclude that this is hugely tortuous.

7. Musto invests an entire paragraph bouncing off the —"No room at the inn"—allusion….
a. Seems to me he should accept that being gay is a non-starter in his chosen religion…and he should either move to one he finds more accepting…or right a long, bitter rant.

8. “Some people I know who piously visit places of worship on a regular basis spend the rest of the week being bitchy, negative, and judgmental. ...
a. OK…here is the nugget of truth, but I always liked it better this way: Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Well, I’ve said my piece, and I know many folks on the board agree with Musto, but to me, he’s simply screaming about how unhappy his life is. I hope he finds peace.

Here is the link: Why I Hate Religion! 47 Reasons That Will Send Me To Hell! - Page 1 - Columns - New York - Village Voice

In spite of his résumé, he's first and foremost a comedian, PC. And a bad one at that. Don't take it so seriously.

I prefer to read the debates that ensue whenever Christopher Hitchens writes a column on the interpretations of religion, specifically Christianity. THEN we get to see some real meat on the subject. Unfortunately, Hitchens is dying of cancer, but he still doesn't believe "God" had anything to do with it.

Don’t know Musto? Here:
“Michael Musto (born December 3, 1955) is an American columnist for the The Village Voice, where he writes La Dolce Musto. Musto was born in Brooklyn to an Italian American family. He attended Columbia University graduating in 1976….He is a recurring guest on several nationally broadcast television programs including Countdown with Keith Olbermann and others on A&E and PBS, also having appeared on E!, VH1, Real Housewives of New York, The Daily Show, and The Late, Late Show With Craig Ferguson. He is openly gay and is published regularly in several LGTB publications.”

a. Did I miss that memo?

6. “Jesus is almost always portrayed as someone out of an Abercrombie & Fitch catalogue…to look like a supermodel

In spite of his résumé, he's first and foremost a comedian, PC. And a bad one at that. Don't take it so seriously.

I prefer to read the debates that ensue whenever Christopher Hitchens writes a column on the interpretations of religion, specifically Christianity. THEN we get to see some real meat on the subject. Unfortunately, Hitchens is dying of cancer, but he still doesn't believe "God" had anything to do with it.

Hi, Maggie...haven't 'seen' you in a while.
Hope all has been well for you.

My fault or yours, you misunderstand the reason for the OP....
"Don't take it so seriously."
Does that mean, 'don't think about folks who have the perspective that Musto does?
Or, don't post about same?

In the words of Arthur Miller, "Attention must be paid!"

America is engaged in a century-long guerrilla war between the traditionalists and the secular progressives...and, until the perfect storm of the Obama administration, sadly, the Left has been gaining the upper hand!

That is why this is a serious matter, and why the key to the OP is the following:

"...stereotypic of the left wing- liberal- self-dissatisfied product of our pop culture."

Americans, the most religious of the industrialized nations, are finally paying attention, and the work of folks like Musto should be responded to (oops! ending a sentence with a preposition! Horrors!).

As long as the battle is framed in the perspectives of the two sides, Americans will choose the right - no pun intended- side.

Attention must be paid.

Don’t know Musto? Here:

a. Did I miss that memo?

Does that mean, 'don't think about folks who have the perspective that Musto does?

America is engaged in a century-long guerrilla war between the traditionalists and the secular progressives...and, until the perfect storm of the Obama administration, sadly, the Left has been gaining the upper hand!

That is why this is a serious matter, and why the key to the OP is the following:

"...stereotypic of the left wing- liberal- self-dissatisfied product of our pop culture."

Americans, the most religious of the industrialized nations, are finally paying attention, and the work of folks like Musto should be responded to (oops! ending a sentence with a preposition! Horrors!).

As long as the battle is framed in the perspectives of the two sides, Americans will choose the right - no pun intended- side.

Attention must be paid.

I can't tell if you're serious or satirical.

Don’t know Musto? Here:

a. Did I miss that memo?

Attention must be paid.

I know lots of people who have strong opinions about some of the more questionable, er, lessons of formal religion, and many make jokes about it or ask their own questions which can point to the absurdities of some of it. Musto is simply one of those. As for his personal lifestyle, I couldn't care less, frankly. He's really an insignificant player in any arena, including entertainment. The fact that individuals, groups, societies, etc., have been arguing the merits of traditional religion, specifically Christianity, isn't something "new."

I don't care what anybody does outside of my house.
From what I see alot of conservatives go through the motions of their religions but very rarely do the live the tenets

LOL! I used to make up sins to confess to the priest because I thought he'd be disappointed that I didn't need forgiveness.

From what I see alot of conservatives go through the motions of their religions but very rarely do the live the tenets

Is there any human being ever who lived up to his "tenets" every day? Liberals, conservatives, Christians, atheists.

Archie Bunker to the Meathead "So when you tell someone to go to Hell, do you think they're going to Disneyland?"

Are liberals expressing their belief in Government by sending EXTRA dollars to Washington? Heck, no. They go through their 1040 carefully and make sure they can get every deduction they can find, just like I do.

• Thanks
Reactions: del

Don’t know Musto? Here:
“Michael Musto (born December 3, 1955) is an American columnist for the The Village Voice, where he writes La Dolce Musto. Musto was born in Brooklyn to an Italian American family. He attended Columbia University graduating in 1976….He is a recurring guest on several nationally broadcast television programs including Countdown with Keith Olbermann and others on A&E and PBS, also having appeared on E!, VH1, Real Housewives of New York, The Daily Show, and The Late, Late Show With Craig Ferguson. He is openly gay and is published regularly in several LGTB publications.”Michael Musto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

a. Did I miss that memo?

Aye, reminds me of one of my favorite parables...

Luke 18

9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:

10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.

11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

/

Don’t know Musto? Here:
“Michael Musto (born December 3, 1955) is an American columnist for the The Village Voice, where he writes La Dolce Musto. Musto was born in Brooklyn to an Italian American family. He attended Columbia University graduating in 1976….He is a recurring guest on several nationally broadcast television programs including Countdown with Keith Olbermann and others on A&E and PBS, also having appeared on E!, VH1, Real Housewives of New York, The Daily Show, and The Late, Late Show With Craig Ferguson. He is openly gay and is published regularly in several LGTB publications.”Michael Musto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

a. Did I miss that memo?

Luke 18

9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:

10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.

11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

/

And, Proverbs 9:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

I guess it'd be pushing it to include...

Ecclesiastes 10:2 The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

Don’t know Musto? Here:

a. Did I miss that memo?

6. “Jesus is almost always portrayed as someone out of an Abercrombie & Fitch catalogue…to look like a supermodel.”

Luke 18

/

And, Proverbs 9:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

Ecclesiastes 10:2 The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

Amen to His Word!!!

Aye, I hear you, haha. I might also be pushing it to include..

Revelation 12

9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

There is one Satan, but many are his followers, whether known or unknown to them. Satan, the greatest deceiver of all.

LOL! I used to make up sins to confess to the priest because I thought he'd be disappointed that I didn't need forgiveness.

But if you lie during confession, that's a bigger sin and if you should die before your next confession, you'll go to hell. :eek:

Is there any human being ever who lived up to his "tenets" every day? Liberals, conservatives, Christians, atheists.

Archie Bunker to the Meathead "So when you tell someone to go to Hell, do you think they're going to Disneyland?"

Are liberals expressing their belief in Government by sending EXTRA dollars to Washington? Heck, no. They go through their 1040 carefully and make sure they can get every deduction they can find, just like I do.

That's why it's only the Democrats who you'll hear saying "remove all the tax writeoffs, like the ones I take." Ever hear a Republican say they'd like to see less money in their tax refund? I think maybe Tom Coburn is the only one.

Don’t know Musto? Here:

a. Did I miss that memo?

Luke 18

/

Yep. Pushing it. :lol: I wonder what that DID mean, since that book is full of parables, basically meaningless?

But if you lie during confession, that's a bigger sin and if you should die before your next confession, you'll go to hell. :eek:

What if you break one of the 10 commandments during confession? Like if you sit in there daydreaming about your neighbor's new lawn mower, do you go to super hell?

Forum List

Back