Why I Don't Fall for Manmade Global Warming

Those OLD OBSOLETE plants are not gonna last much longer. Wanna ignore that problem??

Why do you want to make that same problem so much bigger?

We already know that nuclear is unsafe because nothing is infallible and you cannot afford any mistakes with nuclear power. And yes, that applies to the waste products that need to be stored for tens of thousands of years without any mistakes. That is impossible.

Wind power has sufficient potential to supply 3 times the current energy needs of the entire world. Wind power is what enabled Columbus to discover the Americas. Wind power has been grinding grains and pumping water for centuries. Wind technology has now matured into a safe, effective and environmentally friendly means of generating power.

Wind power is the future.

Wind power is unreliable and crap.. High maintenance cost and it disrupts global circulation of near surface winds changing climates of huge areas not to mention the wild life it kills.. You really are an idiot...

ETA: Wind is only viable for about 3-5 hours a day, even in the higher wind zones. Once the sun goes down the wind all but stops. I live near 16 massive wind projects on the great divide and as a meteorologist I can tell you they are down for 75% of the day because there is insufficient wind to turn them.

IF a wind farm is rated at 100 megawatts, it means the power generating capacity if the wind blows 24 hours a day. Now lets apply the fact that they turn for 3-5 hours of a day. Hell, ill give you one more freebie and call it six. That means the wind power output potential is only 25 megawatts. Now we find out that the wind stops and starts and is never constant in pressure (it is always varying.) We loose another 65% of potential. 65% 0f 25% leaves about 17 Megawatts of power that this field is rated for. Now we have to fire up a Coal or NG plant to take up the slack when the winds slow or stop during the time those turbines are in use. Those plants must be running at capacity to take the load so we are burning the same amount of fuel despite those pieces of crap wind mills... And then we tax the hell out of the Fossil fuel plants to pay for this stupidity. Wind power isn't shit...

Then again wind power is huge pile of shit!

Comparative electrical generation costs - SourceWatch

Comparative electrical generation costs

Comparative costs data: Lazard analysis (February 2009)
The investment banking company Lazard Ltd. released the following comparison among generation technologies, in 2008 dollars. The levelized costs include production tax credits, investment tax credits, and accelerated asset depreciation as applicable. Assumes 20-year economic life, 40% tax rate, and 5-20 year tax life. Assumptions for alternative technologies include: 30% debt at 8% interest rate, 40% tax equity at 8.5% costs and 30% common equity at 12% cost. Assumptions for conventional generation technologies: 60% debt at 8.0% interest rate and 40% equity at 12% cost. Assumes coal price of $2.50 per MMBtu and natural gas price of $8.00 per MMBtu. 12% cost, 20-year economic life, 40% tax rate, 5-20 year tax life, coal at $2.50 per million Btu, and natural gas at $8.00 per million Bt.[2]

Coal/Nuclear/Gas: (cents per kilowatt-hour in 2008 dollars)

• Gas peaking: 22.5 - 34.2 (assumes $8.00/MMBtu for gas)
  • IGCC: 11.0 - 14.1 (assumes $2.50/MMBtu for coal)
  • Nuclear: 10.7 - 13.8
  • Advanced supercritical coal: 7.8 - 14.4 (high end includes 90% carbon capture and storage) (assumes $2.50/MMBtu for coal)
  • Gas combined cycle: 7.4 - 10.2 (assumes $8.00/MMBtu for gas)
Alternatives: (cents per kilowatt-hour in 2008 dollars)

• Solar PV (crystalline): 16.0 - 19.6
  • Fuel cell: 12.7 - 15.0
  • Solar PV (thin film): 13.1 - 18.2
  • Solar thermal: 12.9 - 20.6 (low end is solar tower; high end is solar trough)
  • Biomass direct: 6.5 - 11.3
  • Wind: 5.7 - 11.3
  • Geothermal: 5.8 - 9.3
  • Energy efficiency: 0.0 - 5.0
levelized-cost-of-electricity-generation1.jpg

Since we haven't BUILT a nuke plant in the US for about 30 years -- WHAT generation technology and experience did they base the pricing on?

I'll take the same position as the moron "alternatives" do ----- which is --- when you build MORE of it and establish pre-approved design templates that breeze thru approvals -- it get CHEAPER very quickly.

IN FACT --- the govt should provide some land and some grants and have a run-off on 2 or 4 different designs. Let them certify the BEST designs and give them fast track approval for building out dozens of them in 5 years.

First you have to get past the NIMBY problem with nuke reactors before you can even begin to try what you are proposing.

YOU -- are the NIMBY problem. And I'm working on that.. :banana:

You better get your marching boots on and that handprinted protest sign out D.T.. 5 nuke plants under construction in the US.. The one is Georgia has 2 full scale reactors. Some of the others,, like the Oak Ridge one is a test of a "mid-size" self contained, recyclable reactor. Which is where my money is. I'm investing as soon as they go public.

Means you could power a town of 100,000 or so for 15 or 20 years before digging one up and replacing it.

U.S. Nuclear Power Plants - Nuclear Energy Institute

Construction (5)

Georgia Power Waynesboro, GA (Vogtle 3, 4) AP1000 2 Approved August 2009 3/31/08 5/30/08 2/10/12
South Carolina Electric & Gas Jenkinsville, SC (Summer 2, 3) AP1000 2 NA 3/27/08 7/31/08 3/30/12
Tennessee Valley Authority Spring City, TN (Watts Bar 2)* Gen II PWR 1 NA - - -
COL License Issued (1) DTE Energy Newport, MI (Fermi 3) ESBWR 1 - 9/18/08 11/25/08 5/1/15

Not your grand-daddy's nuclear plants. These actually have computers in them..

No amount of computers are going to prevent the radioactive pollution from mining and refining uranium to run those reactors.

The nuclear power industry's record of responsibly handling materials FAR exceeds that of the DISASTER the US govt made in their weapons production.. In fact -- the GOVT record is COMPLETELY irresponsible. Put the problem in perspective that way. You have TONS of leaking barrels and bulldozers so contaminated they needed to be buried in place. And YOUR HEROES have done NOTHING to clean up that mess for over 40 years.

Where's your outrage??? And WHY are these criminal mental midgets the ones delaying licensing for civilian nuclear power?

Radioactive material is gonna CONTINUE to be mined. Because the Navy has a fleet to fuel. Because we have bombs to build and because the Nuclear Medicine wing of your local hospital needs this material to diagnose and save lives. And because our deep space probes depend on it.

Last edited:
Why do you want to make that same problem so much bigger?

We already know that nuclear is unsafe because nothing is infallible and you cannot afford any mistakes with nuclear power. And yes, that applies to the waste products that need to be stored for tens of thousands of years without any mistakes. That is impossible.

Wind power has sufficient potential to supply 3 times the current energy needs of the entire world. Wind power is what enabled Columbus to discover the Americas. Wind power has been grinding grains and pumping water for centuries. Wind technology has now matured into a safe, effective and environmentally friendly means of generating power.

Wind power is the future.

Wind power is unreliable and crap.. High maintenance cost and it disrupts global circulation of near surface winds changing climates of huge areas not to mention the wild life it kills.. You really are an idiot...

ETA: Wind is only viable for about 3-5 hours a day, even in the higher wind zones. Once the sun goes down the wind all but stops. I live near 16 massive wind projects on the great divide and as a meteorologist I can tell you they are down for 75% of the day because there is insufficient wind to turn them.

IF a wind farm is rated at 100 megawatts, it means the power generating capacity if the wind blows 24 hours a day. Now lets apply the fact that they turn for 3-5 hours of a day. Hell, ill give you one more freebie and call it six. That means the wind power output potential is only 25 megawatts. Now we find out that the wind stops and starts and is never constant in pressure (it is always varying.) We loose another 65% of potential. 65% 0f 25% leaves about 17 Megawatts of power that this field is rated for. Now we have to fire up a Coal or NG plant to take up the slack when the winds slow or stop during the time those turbines are in use. Those plants must be running at capacity to take the load so we are burning the same amount of fuel despite those pieces of crap wind mills... And then we tax the hell out of the Fossil fuel plants to pay for this stupidity. Wind power isn't shit...

The investment banking company Lazard Ltd. released the following comparison among generation technologies, in 2008 dollars. The levelized costs include production tax credits, investment tax credits, and accelerated asset depreciation as applicable. Assumes 20-year economic life, 40% tax rate, and 5-20 year tax life. Assumptions for alternative technologies include: 30% debt at 8% interest rate, 40% tax equity at 8.5% costs and 30% common equity at 12% cost. Assumptions for conventional generation technologies: 60% debt at 8.0% interest rate and 40% equity at 12% cost. Assumes coal price of $2.50 per MMBtu and natural gas price of $8.00 per MMBtu. 12% cost, 20-year economic life, 40% tax rate, 5-20 year tax life, coal at $2.50 per million Btu, and natural gas at $8.00 per million Bt.[2]

• Advanced supercritical coal: 7.8 - 14.4 (high end includes 90% carbon capture and storage) (assumes $2.50/MMBtu for coal)

Since we haven't BUILT a nuke plant in the US for about 30 years -- WHAT generation technology and experience did they base the pricing on?

I'll take the same position as the moron "alternatives" do ----- which is --- when you build MORE of it and establish pre-approved design templates that breeze thru approvals -- it get CHEAPER very quickly.

IN FACT --- the govt should provide some land and some grants and have a run-off on 2 or 4 different designs. Let them certify the BEST designs and give them fast track approval for building out dozens of them in 5 years.

First you have to get past the NIMBY problem with nuke reactors before you can even begin to try what you are proposing.

Yes, I am, because I know that I don't want to have my life, and those of my loved ones, needlessly threatened by lethal toxic radioactive fallout.

You better get your marching boots on and that handprinted protest sign out D.T.. 5 nuke plants under construction in the US.. The one is Georgia has 2 full scale reactors. Some of the others,, like the Oak Ridge one is a test of a "mid-size" self contained, recyclable reactor. Which is where my money is. I'm investing as soon as they go public.

Means you could power a town of 100,000 or so for 15 or 20 years before digging one up and replacing it.

Construction (5)

Georgia Power Waynesboro, GA (Vogtle 3, 4) AP1000 2 Approved August 2009 3/31/08 5/30/08 2/10/12
South Carolina Electric & Gas Jenkinsville, SC (Summer 2, 3) AP1000 2 NA 3/27/08 7/31/08 3/30/12
COL License Issued (1) DTE Energy Newport, MI (Fermi 3) ESBWR 1 - 9/18/08 11/25/08 5/1/15

No amount of computers are going to prevent the radioactive pollution from mining and refining uranium to run those reactors.
That's the level of science we expect from the anti-progress crowd.

Construction (5)

The nuclear power industry's record of responsibly handling materials FAR exceeds that of the DISASTER the US govt made in their weapons production.. In fact -- the GOVT record is COMPLETELY irresponsible. Put the problem in perspective that way. You have TONS of leaking barrels and bulldozers so contaminated they needed to be buried in place. And YOUR HEROES have done NOTHING to clean up that mess for over 40 years.

Where's your outrage??? And WHY are these criminal mental midgets the ones delaying licensing for civilian nuclear power?

Radioactive material is gonna CONTINUE to be mined. Because the Navy has a fleet to fuel. Because we have bombs to build and because the Nuclear Medicine wing of your local hospital needs this material to diagnose and save lives. And because our deep space probes depend on it.

You might not want to preserve this planet for future generations but those of us who understand that we need it in order to survive can quite happily live without nuclear reactors and their tens of thousands of years worth of pollution.

Construction (5)

That's the level of science we expect from the anti-progress crowd.

Ironic coming from the OP who wouldn't know science if he tripped and fell over it.

Yes, I am, because I know that I don't want to have my life, and those of my loved ones, needlessly threatened by lethal toxic radioactive fallout.

And I don't want my loved ones freezing to death in the winter because the wind doesn't blow -- so we're at an impasse . I'd say my fear is far more tangible than yours. Yours is just a fear of radioactive materials.

Answer a question for me. What is the half-life of heavy metal toxins that are routinely dumped and disposed of in landfills and unauthorized dumps?? How does that compare to the half-life of uranium?

And I don't want my loved ones freezing to death in the winter because the wind doesn't blow -- so we're at an impasse . I'd say my fear is far more tangible than yours. Yours is just a fear of radioactive materials.

Answer a question for me. What is the half-life of heavy metal toxins that are routinely dumped and disposed of in landfills and unauthorized dumps?? How does that compare to the half-life of uranium?

One crime does not excuse another.

Construction (5)

You might not want to preserve this planet for future generations but those of us who understand that we need it in order to survive can quite happily live without nuclear reactors and their tens of thousands of years worth of pollution.

You're a whiny sort of NIMBY.. Ever been to Nagasaki lately??

Detroit-vs-Nagasaki.jpg

Been to Detroit lately? Spare me this "I'm a superior preserver of the planet" -- leftist bullshit.. Nuclear power would SOLVE the Global Warming tomorrow. But you're more scared of reactor than you are the fate of the fate of a planet with a fatal fever..

Construction (5)

Detroit-vs-Nagasaki.jpg

Been to Detroit lately? Spare me this "I'm a superior preserver of the planet" -- leftist bullshit.. Nuclear power would SOLVE the Global Warming tomorrow. But you're more scared of reactor than you are the fate of the fate of a planet with a fatal fever..

Your glow in the dark planet won't support any kind of life at all.

Construction (5)

You seem to have forgotten the first post of this topic - Democrats are intentionally killing all green energy.

Construction (5)

Detroit-vs-Nagasaki.jpg

Practice what you preach and get the hell off the grid then. Save Mother Gia.

Construction (5)

Detroit-vs-Nagasaki.jpg

Couldn't see the picture of Nagasaki??? Need a bigger one??? Or you just like hyperbole???

Maybe take a minute and do a Google Earth tour. Let me know if you see anything "glowing in the dark"..

Construction (5)

Detroit-vs-Nagasaki.jpg

No life at all in Hiroshima, Nagasaki or even Chenobyl area eh?

And I'm sure you're completely oblivious to the fact of numerous enviro scientists who TRULY BELIEVE in GW that have actively endorsed nuclear power as a principle solution to the issue.. They are not playing politics -- they understand how to SERIOUSLY address the issue..

So am I right? Never seen the endorsements??

Construction (5)

Detroit-vs-Nagasaki.jpg

Morale of the Story: If you want to destroy a civilization, don't use nuclear weapons, just let Progressive run it for a while

D.T. SURELY you know who James Hansen is --- right? The US Grand Dragon of the Church of Global Warming ?????

Is nuclear power the answer on climate change?

Hansen departs from environmental orthodoxy, however, in arguing that there is no way to cut greenhouse gas emissions sufficiently by relying solely on green alternatives like solar and wind power.

“Suggesting that renewables will let us phase rapidly off fossil fuels in the United States, China, India, or the world as a whole” Hansen writes in an essay, “is almost the equivalent of believing in the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy.”

Don't make it about me.. This is what the hierarchy of Global Warming science says.. Here's 64 more science endorsements from the academic wing of enviromentalism...

An Open Letter to Environmentalists on Nuclear Energy

Don't make it about me..

Ironic given that is what you have been doing in this entire thread.

It began with the OP lying and he hasn't stopped.

Furthermore you have been taking everything way too personally. The subject matter is what options are least harmful to the planet. If you cannot agree that there is long term damage caused by nuclear fuels then it is a waste of my time to continue.

Don't make it about me..

Ironic given that is what you have been doing in this entire thread.

It began with the OP lying and he hasn't stopped.

Furthermore you have been taking everything way too personally. The subject matter is what options are least harmful to the planet. If you cannot agree that there is long term damage caused by nuclear fuels then it is a waste of my time to continue.
Really? What lies?
Democrats running California are ending net metering, have killed all financial incentives and are passing special taxes on solar users to penalize them.
Democrats are not green, and they don't believe there is a climate crisis. The evidence is all there plain to see for all.

Forum List

Back